Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transfering Money from UK to US

Transfering Money from UK to US

Old Sep 28th 2017, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

branmin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfering Money from UK to US

Discussed this before but just checking with those more knowledgeable on the best methods to achieve this.

UK/US dollar rate a lot better than 1.22-1.25 the last time I was discussing this. Anyway have a substantial amount to transfer from UK to US. I bank with HSBC in the UK that only allow 50K per day. Have Transferwise set up and ready to go and might be able to get a rate of 0.3% with them if I use their service and have mentioned that I could move 50K every week or every 3 days for a few months or so. Their normal fees are 0.5% and I know a few of you here have used them and found it went well.

On the other hand I could transfer a larger sum over to HSBC in the US(they only have a few branches here and as long as I keep a minimum amount in the account, transfers between UK and US are free, but unsure if they would give me as good a rate as Transferwise and ultimately lose out. Any thoughts appreciated.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfering Money from UK to US

The rate is not as good, but you can transfer in seconds or minutes. There were some examples of rates in a recent post. Citibank gives slightly better rates I think, but still not as good as transferwise or xendpay

Last edited by mrken30; Sep 28th 2017 at 11:26 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thx..saw this from a previous post............

This morning Transferwise was 1.341 taking a couple of days and HSBC bank to bank was 1.298 taking around two minutes.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Does one by using Transferwise do all that is required from their website or log on to your own bank and transfer it from there to Transferwise's account?

T-wise asked me today for DL and copy of utility bill and emailed me back that identity confirmed. Is this standard?
Old Sep 28th 2017, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by branmin
Does one by using Transferwise do all that is required from their website or log on to your own bank and transfer it from there to Transferwise's account?
Uhhh... What?

T-wise asked me today for DL and copy of utility bill and emailed me back that identity confirmed. Is this standard?
Yep.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 12:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Does one by using Transferwise do all that is required from their website or log on to your own bank and transfer it from there to Transferwise's account?.....
Originally Posted by tom169
Uhhh... What? .....
Do you send the money to Transferwise from your bank (using the bank web site), or do you tell Transferwise to debit your bank account (using the Transferwise Web site)? ..... I don't know, I have never used Transferwise.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

I use it, once you set up the amount to transfer, you can pay it using a Visa card or bank x-fer.

Once paid it starts the transfer, tends to take 1 or 2 days.

Thumbs-up to the decent rates and low transaction fees 🙂
Old Sep 29th 2017, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
I use it, once you set up the amount to transfer, you can pay it using a Visa card or bank x-fer.

Once paid it starts the transfer, tends to take 1 or 2 days.

Thumbs-up to the decent rates and low transaction fees 🙂
This. There is a limit on the amount via debit card. I want to say maybe ÂŁ2k.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Do you send the money to Transferwise from your bank (using the bank web site), or do you tell Transferwise to debit your bank account (using the Transferwise Web site)? ..... I don't know, I have never used Transferwise.
You send from your bank (or use a card).

For a large sum I would talk to TorFx. They are able to be flexible. I used them when I transferred my UK house sale proceeds.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Stevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t mean to piggy back anyone’s thread, but I have a question along the same lines.
Will I be taxed on any savings I transfer to the U.S. when I move here permanently from the U.K in a few weeks?
We were given a load of forms etc when we opened the account one of which talks about a W8BEN form, that got my attention but I assume that’s only for money earned in the U.S.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stevie P
I don’t mean to piggy back anyone’s thread, but I have a question along the same lines.
Will I be taxed on any savings I transfer to the U.S. when I move here permanently from the U.K in a few weeks?
We were given a load of forms etc when we opened the account one of which talks about a W8BEN form, that got my attention but I assume that’s only for money earned in the U.S.
if you are US resident/citizen you should pay tax on interest earned on both US and UK accounts. It has nothing to do with transferring the money.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Will I be taxed on any savings I transfer to the U.S. when I move here permanently from the U.K in a few weeks? .
No the transfer of money (either way) does not trigger tax.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Stevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
if you are US resident/citizen you should pay tax on interest earned on both US and UK accounts. It has nothing to do with transferring the money.
No I’m a UK citizen. Moving on an IR-1 visa, my wife is a U.S. citizen.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
No the transfer of money (either way) does not trigger tax.
Good to know đź‘Ť
Old Sep 29th 2017, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No I’m a UK citizen. Moving on an IR-1 visa, my wife is a U.S. citizen.
So will you be a US resident this tax year? Is the money in joint accounts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.