Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transfer USD to the EU

Transfer USD to the EU

Old Feb 1st 2017, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transfer USD to the EU

I’m selling my house but when the deal closes, I will be back living in France permanently.
My bank informs me that funds cannot be wired overseas unless I am physically present in the US.
They can mail a check (totally impracticable) or suggested the title company maybe able to wire the USD for me.
Is this normal for US banking or just my bank?
Of course I can come back for the transfer but border control may play difficult after I bin my GC.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer USD to the EU

Originally Posted by audio
I’m selling my house but when the deal closes, I will be back living in France permanently.
My bank informs me that funds cannot be wired overseas unless I am physically present in the US.
They can mail a check (totally impracticable) or suggested the title company maybe able to wire the USD for me.
Of course I can come back for the transfer but border control may play difficult after I bin my GC.
Check out transferwise, World First and xe.com.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

It's just your bank.

Also, no need to bin your green card immediately unless you have some other compelling reason for doing so.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies.

I am planning to bin my GC as I plan to give up my PR in the US and reside permanently in France. In doing so, I won’t need US medical insurance (very expensive for me) and I will no longer be an IRS subject which will be one helluva relief.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by md95065
It's just your bank.
I appreciate your advice but Capital City, Wells Fargo and State Farm cannot do it.
I would be grateful of the name of a bank that can.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

If your bank cannot do it then use someone like Transferwise, xe.com or some other forex broker do it. (Your bank wires the money to them and they send the money to your bank in France). I reside in the U.K. But have used xe.com and Transferwise to send money to my bank in the U.K. and to my brother's bank in Australia.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by durham_lad
If your bank cannot do it then use someone like Transferwise, xe.com or some other forex broker do it. (Your bank wires the money to them and they send the money to your bank in France). I reside in the U.K. But have used xe.com and Transferwise to send money to my bank in the U.K. and to my brother's bank in Australia.
Thanks, I’ll try that. The banks here just don’t seem quite up to speed IMOP.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate your advice but Capital City, Wells Fargo and State Farm cannot do it.
I would be grateful of the name of a bank that can.
Bank of America certainly can.

I regularly use their online banking service to initiate wire transfers from my account to other banks, including ones in the EU. I do not need to be physically present in the US to do this.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am planning to bin my GC as I plan to give up my PR in the US and reside permanently in France. In doing so, I won’t need US medical insurance (very expensive for me) and I will no longer be an IRS subject which will be one helluva relief.
The fact remains that holding onto your green card for another month or two is unlikely to have a significant impact.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 11:26 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Check with the Title company/Closing agent. They should be able to send funds to direct to your France account bypassing your US account. It will likely involve more red tape & cost. You will need to give them payment info either way.

Also, since you won't be here for the closing, do you have a Power of Attorney acting for you?

I think your bank can legally wire your funds overseas when you are not present, but traditionally you would go into the branch and fill out a form to initiate it. Nowadays that is old hat. Staff may not be up to date!
Old Feb 5th 2017, 1:10 am
Just Joined

whatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of lightwhatisgoingon is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for your replies.

lol.....yes it is a relief when you exit that system.

make sure you file all the correct forms.

welcome to your new found freedom.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 1:39 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies.

I envy you....living in La Belle France. I have a good friend who's lived in Bordeaux for the past 30 years...she loves it. After Brexit she applied for French citizenship.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

Originally Posted by whatisgoingon

What are the correct forms? I am doing the same thing very soon and moving to Spain.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bank of America certainly can.

I regularly use their online banking service to initiate wire transfers from my account to other banks, including ones in the EU. I do not need to be physically present in the US to do this.
Thanks, I'll call them tomorrow.

The fact remains that holding onto your green card for another month or two is unlikely to have a significant impact.
Maybe but as soon as I send it it with the I-407, hopefully I'm no longer a tax person. Obviously previous years/months will count.
f needed, I can come back with my B1/2 which is still valid
Old Feb 5th 2017, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RICH
Check with the Title company/Closing agent. They should be able to send funds to direct to your France account bypassing your US account. It will likely involve more red tape & cost. You will need to give them payment info either way.

Also, since you won't be here for the closing, do you have a Power of Attorney acting for you?

I think your bank can legally wire your funds overseas when you are not present, but traditionally you would go into the branch and fill out a form to initiate it. Nowadays that is old hat. Staff may not be up to date!
Thank you, I will look into that. I can arrange a PoA but prefer not to if possible.

Originally Posted by whatisgoingon

Thanks for those kind words. Yes it will be a relief when I exit.

Originally Posted by nun
I envy you....living in La Belle France. I have a good friend who's lived in Bordeaux for the past 30 years...she loves it. After Brexit she applied for French citizenship.
We moved to France from the UK in 2001 but 6 years ago we thought the grass would be greener in the US. In our particular case it wasn't
Had some happy times here though and there will be much I will miss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.