British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Transfer US Social Security Payments to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/transfer-us-social-security-payments-uk-600792/)

mikepilcher Mar 30th 2009 3:22 pm

Transfer US Social Security Payments to UK

I have been in the US for 9 years and am moving back to the UK this year. I have been told I can take the Social Security Payments made in the USA and transfer them back to the UK.

In the UK I have a Stakeholder pension and was told I could transfer the credit in the US to the UK as a lump sum. However now I can't find the person at the US Social Security office who gave me that advice.

Can anyone comment on how you transfer your US credits/payments/money into the UK's system?

Mike

paddingtongreen Mar 30th 2009 3:47 pm

Re: Transfer US Social Security Payments to UK

Originally Posted by mikepilcher (Post 7435140)
I have been in the US for 9 years and am moving back to the UK this year. I have been told I can take the Social Security Payments made in the USA and transfer them back to the UK.

In the UK I have a Stakeholder pension and was told I could transfer the credit in the US to the UK as a lump sum. However now I can't find the person at the US Social Security office who gave me that advice.

Can anyone comment on how you transfer your US credits/payments/money into the UK's system?

Mike

I don't think you can transfer US Soc. Sec as a lump sum, it doesn't exist that way.

If you have more than the minimum for a pension in both countries, you will get one from each country. If you are short of the minimum in one country, the other will credit you for those contributions in calculating the pension amount, provided you tell them about the contributions. The UK Soc. Sec. or whatever it's called now, has booklets on this agreement. I'm talking about UK/US here, there are different agreements with different countries. You can receive your pension in the country where you reside. They claim they exchange so much currency that they get better exchange rates.

Mummy in the foothills Mar 30th 2009 5:15 pm

Are you sure you are eligible for US payments? I thought you had to work 40 quarters at least, which adds up to 10 years.

bromleygirl Mar 30th 2009 5:25 pm

In the US you earn 4 quarters for every year worked. You need 40 quarters to claim a US pension so with 9 years worked the OP is short by 4 quarters of claiming a US pension.

I guess his option is to either stay 1 more year to make up to 40 quarters or have his US credits transferred to the UK. I'd check on how this is equated to the UK pension i.e. a year for a year though as I think I remember reading that they don't give exactly the same but I could be wrong.

In the UK they have reduced the number of qualifying years needed to 30 however, even if you have say 15 years you recieve 15/30 worth of the basic state pension.

Hope this helps:)

Mummy in the foothills Mar 31st 2009 4:08 am

Originally Posted by bromleygirl (Post 7435605)
In the US you earn 4 quarters for every year worked. You need 40 quarters to claim a US pension so with 9 years worked the OP is short by 4 quarters of claiming a US pension.

I guess his option is to either stay 1 more year to make up to 40 quarters or have his US credits transferred to the UK. I'd check on how this is equated to the UK pension i.e. a year for a year though as I think I remember reading that they don't give exactly the same but I could be wrong.

In the UK they have reduced the number of qualifying years needed to 30 however, even if you have say 15 years you recieve 15/30 worth of the basic state pension.

Hope this helps:)

That's what I read on a UK link, now where was it?
It showed and example, if you had 5 years paid in UK and 40 quarters in US, the UK counted that as 15 years paid and you got the UK pension based on those 15 years. Darn I only read it this morning. Off to search for it.

Mummy in the foothills Mar 31st 2009 4:11 am

Found it
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/...on_non_eea.asp

Theres a UK/US agreement.

bromleygirl Mar 31st 2009 7:05 am

"If you had paid five years' UK insurance and 10 years' US insurance, we would work out how much UK State Pension you would have got if you had been paying UK insurance for 15 years. But because you have only actually been paying UK insurance for five years, we would pay you one-third (five-fifteenths) of that UK State Pension".

The way this statement comes across from the DWP reads as though they do not give you year for a year when you transfer US insurance years to UK.

paddingtongreen Mar 31st 2009 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by bromleygirl (Post 7437455)
"If you had paid five years' UK insurance and 10 years' US insurance, we would work out how much UK State Pension you would have got if you had been paying UK insurance for 15 years. But because you have only actually been paying UK insurance for five years, we would pay you one-third (five-fifteenths) of that UK State Pension".

The way this statement comes across from the DWP reads as though they do not give you year for a year when you transfer US insurance years to UK.

That's only if he doesn't have a minimum to qualify in either country, they then add the two to get to a minimum to qualify for a (reduced) UK pension.

I'm not sure how close you have to be to retirement, to get an estimate from Newcastle.

paddingtongreen Mar 31st 2009 1:08 pm

Get your UK estimate here

paddingtongreen Mar 31st 2009 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen (Post 7438395)
Get your UK estimate here

and here

SamuearlJackson Mar 31st 2009 3:09 pm

I guess we should mention that people can still be making NI contributions from abroad (normally at a very cheap rate) and so can still be building up their UK state pension whilst in the US. Approximately 2 pounds a week is what I pay I think.