Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transfer UK Defined Contribution Pension to USA

Transfer UK Defined Contribution Pension to USA

Old Feb 25th 2012, 5:18 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer UK Defined Contribution Pension to USA

Originally Posted by taipan624
How come the HMRC are willing to allow the transfer tax free provided the US
Pension company's are on their approved list such as FIDELITY?

It is bureaucracy on behalf of the IRS, our two countries have one of the strongest tax treaty's. A 401K is exactly like a SIPP you are allowed to invest X amount of your income tax free. So where is the difference, we need to have our voices heard come on british expats get this petition organized.
I really don't see the issue with just leaving your UK pension where it is, unless you don't like the investments/return of the plan or you're worried about FBAR and FATCA.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 5:21 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shayward
what about a mid transfer? like going from UK to ??? to USA
Won't work because the IRS won't recognized the pension plan, and you'll have to deal with US taxes for what ever country you move the money to and the treaty might not be as advantageous as the UK/US treaty.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

taipan624 is an unknown quantity at this point

I look after my own investments through my SIPP and trade mostly in American Stocks, fortunately at the moment I have a broker who allows such trades however the cost of the trades as they do not have direct access such as Barclays does means the cost of the trades are expensive which on short terms trades results in them earning more money than my pension.

Their are other UK Brokers who do have DMA such as Barclays but they are running scared of the IRS stipulation that American Citzens or residents cannot trade US stocks in the UK. It is my belief and I am going to look into it further this should not apply to SIPP's as the investment is held in the name of the Administrator of the SIPP.

I just refuse to believe in this day and age especially that a Bona Fide Pension cannot be transferred especially if such a transfer has to be cleared by the HMRC. I will keep fighting so I have a chance to make my own investment decisions.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 8:06 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Their are other UK Brokers who do have DMA such as Barclays but they are running scared of the IRS stipulation that American Citzens or residents cannot trade US stocks in the UK. It is my belief and I am going to look into it further this should not apply to SIPP's as the investment is held in the name of the Administrator of the SIPP.

I just refuse to believe in this day and age especially that a Bona Fide Pension cannot be transferred especially if such a transfer has to be cleared by the HMRC. I will keep fighting so I have a chance to make my own investment decisions.
Do you file the IRS foreign trust forms or take a treaty position for your SIPP? I'm interested as this is an area of debate.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

shayward is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nun
I really don't see the issue with just leaving your UK pension where it is, unless you don't like the investments/return of the plan or you're worried about FBAR and FATCA.
I have decided to do just that. They were all defined contribution schemes that my accountant (and some-one at H&R Block) all agree cannot be transferred to the US, and should just be left in the UK until I retire.

At the moment there are 5 of them, so i might transfer them all into 1 to simplify things a little.

Just got to remember to report them on the FBAR form every year for the next 30 years

Fortunately they are below $100,000 in value so no need to worry about FATCA, for a reasonable while at least anyway.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

taipan624 is an unknown quantity at this point

To date the IRS has not made a ruling on these so it continues to be a grey area. You should consult with your tax preparer before opening one of these accounts. The bigger tax trap is the ISA (“Individual Savings Account”). These are considered a foreign trust by the IRS and you do need to report your income and capital gains in these accounts each year on your US tax return (even though it is tax-free in the UK). You will need to pay tax on the income and gains from these accounts. SIPP’s and ISA’s will also need to be reported on your FBAR (“Foreign Bank Account Form”) each year.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Try ACA http://www.aca.ch/joomla/index.php they are actively campaigning on issues just like this.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 9:08 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

. The bigger tax trap is the ISA (“Individual Savings Account”). These are considered a foreign trust by the IRS and you do need to report your income and capital gains in these accounts each year on your US tax return (even though it is tax-free in the UK). You will need to pay tax on the income and gains from these accounts. SIPP’s and ISA’s will also need to be reported on your FBAR (“Foreign Bank Account Form”) each year.
Cash ISAs are ok as they are NOT foreign trusts, but the interest on them is still taxable in the US. The problem with stocks and shares ISAs, SIPPs etc is that the IRS classifies them as foreign trusts leading to extra filing requirements, and if they own unit trusts then PFIC issues too. Some professionals say that the SIPP falls under the definition of a pension for treaty purposes, but others say doesn't.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=73909.0
Old Feb 28th 2012, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

For those of you still interested in looking into bringing your pension funds to the US, I found this company that claims to have the ability to do that.

http://www.waterstone-investment-associates.com

They look legit, and i did contact them, but they turned me down as you need to have at least 52,000 pounds in your pension to qualify.

May be worth looking into.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 4:37 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

WATERSTONE-INVESTMENT-ASSOCIATES.COM
Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC

Creation Date: 17-jun-2011 - makes you wonder about their claim to have been doing transfers to the US for three years.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 5:05 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

For those of you still interested in looking into bringing your pension funds to the US, I found this company that claims to have the ability to do that.

http://www.waterstone-investment-associates.com

They look legit, and i did contact them, but they turned me down as you need to have at least 52,000 pounds in your pension to qualify.

May be worth looking into.
If you read the site it never says that the QROPS transfer is to the USA, just that it meets IRS regulations. This sounds like an "insurance wrapper" scheme to protect assets. Once they charge you for the transfer there will also be lots of hidden fees. You have to have big tax savings and be a sophisticated investor to make these work.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shayward, yes I did get the standard reply from my Congressman and from the IRS. UK Pensions are not compliant with US Pension Plans such as 401K.

What a load of BS.
No - it sounds like an accurate answer to me.

Why on earth do you suppose that US tax regulations should be required to recognize UK pension plans?
Old Feb 28th 2012, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by md95065

Why on earth do you suppose that US tax regulations should be required to recognize UK pension plans?
possibly because we have a tax treaty that already recognises them and QROPS appears to be an internationally accepted way to move pensions from country to country.

why do you suppose that they shouldn't?

there is very little logic in the IRS's attitude.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nun
If you read the site it never says that the QROPS transfer is to the USA, just that it meets IRS regulations. This sounds like an "insurance wrapper" scheme to protect assets. Once they charge you for the transfer there will also be lots of hidden fees. You have to have big tax savings and be a sophisticated investor to make these work.
you are right. i took another look and they talk about the schemes being FATCA compliant.

if they were moving the money to the US then FATCA wouldn't be an issue.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065

Even if the IRS wanted to, there would be obvious problems in them doing so. For example 401(k)/403(b) contributions are subject to annual limitations in order for them to get the privileged status of contributions being pre-tax and capital gains/income not being taxed until withdrawal. Similarly IRA contributions are limited both in size and eligibility based on one's adjusted gross income etc. A transfer maybe a nice idea in theory, but how could the IRS in practical terms be guaranteed that contributions made in the UK fit these requirements?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.