Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transfer private pension from UK to US

Transfer private pension from UK to US

Old Jul 11th 2018, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transfer private pension from UK to US

Hi all,

I am leaving The UK permanently and I got to know you can move your private pension (mine is with Tower Watson) from UK to US. I am not planning to be back in UK (never say never though), so looking at the option to move it to US.

Has someone done it? or you guys just leave it in UK and start the US pension, so when retiring you get money from both plans?

Remember this is a private pension, not talking about the public UK pension.

Cheers!
Old Jul 11th 2018, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer private pension from UK to US

Originally Posted by circusplaza
Hi all,

I am leaving The UK permanently and I got to know you can move your private pension (mine is with Tower Watson) from UK to US. I am not planning to be back in UK (never say never though), so looking at the option to move it to US.

Has someone done it? or you guys just leave it in UK and start the US pension, so when retiring you get money from both plans?

Remember this is a private pension, not talking about the public UK pension.

Cheers!
I left both my private pensions in the UK, kept them up to date on my address changes in the USA then started to draw them when I was able. I did also keep a UK bank account so it was easy to get paid when I started to get payments. (I kept the UK bank account for convenience not just to have somewhere for the pensions to go)
Old Jul 11th 2018, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Did the same as Durham Lad. People used to talk about QROP's to move UK private pensions to the US, but no-one ever said they had actually done it.

Keep a UK bank account open.
Old Jul 11th 2018, 8:59 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

+3
Old Jul 11th 2018, 9:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, keep a bank account open in the UK. You are not coming to the US permanently. You and your wife will be in the US on L visas and even if your company has promised to sponsor you for a green card in the future, there is no guarantee that they will do so or that you will be successful in the endeavor. Also this year has seen several L recipients be made redundant and have had to leave the US. One with only being here for a year. Wise to keep your options open just in case.
Old Jul 11th 2018, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
As others have said, keep a bank account open in the UK. You are not coming to the US permanently. You and your wife will be in the US on L visas and even if your company has promised to sponsor you for a green card in the future, there is no guarantee that they will do so or that you will be successful in the endeavor. Also this year has seen several L recipients be made redundant and have had to leave the US. One with only being here for a year. Wise to keep your options open just in case.
Agreed. All I have heard suggests that it is a very bad idea even if you are a US citizen or permanent resident. Moving a pension to the US when you're on an L visa would be crazy.
Old Jul 11th 2018, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your suggestions! I will consider, at least you said L is non-perm, hence risky to move.
However not likely to come back to The UK, if L gets taken away I would consider other options (maybe the continent; France, Spain or Asia), hence my question.

However, never say never.
cheers!!
Old Jul 12th 2018, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, but you don't want to hold a US pension in those countries either.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

True!
Just trying to harmonise and have all under the same umbrella, but it seems difficult.

Cheers