Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transfer Money from UK to USA

Transfer Money from UK to USA

Old Jun 20th 2022, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Mark Ridley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transfer Money from UK to USA

There are definite drawbacks and advantages to each of a global institution and a regional bank/CU. Happy to provide guidance and opinion on either if you DM me - it's often situational.
Old Jun 20th 2022, 7:44 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
*shudder*, no thanks! My wife transferred to BoA with me since her local credit union had no idea how to deal with transfers to/from Japan and the UK.

We are in the highest tier for 'regular' banking customers and the fees are fine.

Also, when I have been a victim of fraud and/or situations arise similar to what I have described above, they call immediately and resolve in my favour.

My experience with credit unions is only n=1, though.

BoA also very useful for notarizing patents for 200+ countries (all with specific demands/asks in some cases). Can not imaging the local dingleberry in my local credit union having a clue!!
Your experience is far different than mine was, I wish you continued good luck with BOA, My credit union does everything better and cheaper than BOA and there customer service is better. Many credit unions do have knowledgable capable staff. You can transfer your money with a provider like Wise and save a lot of money and usually get it to the recipient faster of you want to save money but again if your happy with you bank I won't change your mind.,
Old Jun 20th 2022, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Your experience is far different than mine was, I wish you continued good luck with BOA, My credit union does everything better and cheaper than BOA and there customer service is better. Many credit unions do have knowledgable capable staff. You can transfer your money with a provider like Wise and save a lot of money and usually get it to the recipient faster of you want to save money but again if your happy with you bank I won't change your mind.,
In all fairness I chastise people on here for making comments based on personal experience. So yes, my CU opinion is definitely limited, just bad.
Old Jun 20th 2022, 9:12 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
In all fairness I chastise people on here for making comments based on personal experience. So yes, my CU opinion is definitely limited, just bad.

But the person responding to you negatively was also talking about his personal experience. I have used BofA for decades with no problems -- and no fees. I have regularly received payments from a variety of countries, plus there have been a couple of bequests from the UK, all with no snags.
Old Jun 24th 2022, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

I have received this email from Wise (formerly Transferwise):

"From 14 July 2022, your Customer Agreement with us will change................from July 14, we’ll need your consent to open a currency account for you when you set up a transfer......"

In the past, I have come across UK citizens not resident in the UK not being able to open a UK bank account, but now it seems anyone of any nationality doing a transfer will automatically have a UK bank account.
Old Jun 24th 2022, 10:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vespucci
I have received this email from Wise (formerly Transferwise):

"From 14 July 2022, your Customer Agreement with us will change................from July 14, we’ll need your consent to open a currency account for you when you set up a transfer......"

In the past, I have come across UK citizens not resident in the UK not being able to open a UK bank account, but now it seems anyone of any nationality doing a transfer will automatically have a UK bank account.
Wise is not a bank, and notwithatanding having an account number and a sort code, a "currency account" with Wise is not a bank account.