Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transfer money from UK to US via bank

Transfer money from UK to US via bank

Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

paulinespens will become famous soon enoughpaulinespens will become famous soon enough
Default Transfer money from UK to US via bank

My dad wants to transfer some money via his bank to my bank account here in the US.

My bank is JP Morgan Chase.

I have been told by chase that they need a Swift Code which is CHASUS33 my routing number and my account number.

Lloyds TSB (that bank that likes to say no) are saying that I am not giving my dad enough numbers. Does anyone know if I need anything else?

Chase say thats all I need.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:28 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer money from UK to US via bank

Not enough numbers where?

The Swift?
The ABA routing number?
The account number?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

paulinespens will become famous soon enoughpaulinespens will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Not enough numbers where?

The Swift?
The ABA routing number?
The account number?
My dad text me tonight saying that the bank said there should be more numbers in my bank details.
I gave him Swift Code CHASUS33

my routing number 083000137

And my account number ********

Do I need to tell him to tell my dads bank that the routing number is the ABA routing number?

I think they are getting confused to sending money to a EU country rather then the US

Last edited by paulinespens; Dec 17th 2009 at 12:35 am.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulinespens
My dad text me tonight saying that the bank said there should be more numbers in my bank details.
I gave him Swift Code CHASUS33

my routing number 083000137

And my account number ********

Do I need to tell him to tell my dads bank that the routing number is the ABA routing number?

I think they are getting confused to sending money to a EU country rather then the US
Call your bank you may need to put in a few 'XXX' in front of the numbers....I had to.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

do you mean like 000?

On my bank statement there is aload of zeros before the bank account number
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

do you mean like 000?

On my bank statement there is aload of zeros before the bank account number
My bank told me to put X's. Say you need 9 numbers and you only have 6...put XXX before your 6 numbers. My bank walked me through it via phone while I was on the internet.

If you have problems check with the bank...they should be able to sort it pretty quickly.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 9:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Might need the international bank code rather than local branch code...

That's the case with my bank as all international transfers go through a main branch...weird.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Good news it got sorted my dad went his branch and found someone who knew what they was actuall doing and it took a few mins.
He had spent 40 mins in a larger branch the day before.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Good news it got sorted my dad went his branch and found someone who knew what they was actuall doing and it took a few mins.
He had spent 40 mins in a larger branch the day before.
Which bank Chase? If so your dad was lucky to find someone who knew what they were doing...after 13 years I've yet to find someone.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

TSB bank in England was usless
Old Dec 18th 2009, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you get your Dad to open an account with XE.com

He will get better services and prices from them.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Kentucky - Green Card came 2 months after marrying! :D
ajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Transfer money from UK to US via bank

My dad wants to transfer some money via his bank to my bank account here in the US.

My bank is JP Morgan Chase.

I have been told by chase that they need a Swift Code which is CHASUS33 my routing number and my account number.

Lloyds TSB (that bank that likes to say no) are saying that I am not giving my dad enough numbers. Does anyone know if I need anything else?

Chase say thats all I need.
Hey! I had money transferred from UK bank to my US account and with Chase I would recommend finding other ways!

First off they charged the sender $25 then they charged me $15. The total amount to send me was only $75 so that meant I was only left with $35!

I would personally recommend paypal where possible. I looked into other ways too e.g. Western Union but paypal seemed most cost effective and safest way. Even my 75 year old Grandfather used paypal to send me money for Christmas!!!
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ajcmals
Hey! I had money transferred from UK bank to my US account and with Chase I would recommend finding other ways!

First off they charged the sender $25 then they charged me $15. The total amount to send me was only $75 so that meant I was only left with $35!

I would personally recommend paypal where possible. I looked into other ways too e.g. Western Union but paypal seemed most cost effective and safest way. Even my 75 year old Grandfather used paypal to send me money for Christmas!!!

Your right but sadly my dad isn't computer savy and it was a one off. But yeah I agree with what you said.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Kentucky - Green Card came 2 months after marrying! :D
ajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Transfer money from UK to US via bank

Your right but sadly my dad isn't computer savy and it was a one off. But yeah I agree with what you said.
I hope Chase didn't charge you too much

I even called them before the money was transferred and they misinformed me... $15 just to receive?! Terrible.

Merry Christmas though!
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

I used interchangefx to transfer my cash when I first came over here. They were very easy to deal with and gave good rates.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.