Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transfer of money

Transfer of money

Old Jan 14th 2023, 12:37 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer of money

My point on "scrutiny" relates to "unusual activity". As others said, it is not grounds to deny the transaction, it is likely to raise eyebrows at the various banks and it is mitigated by providing the info as to the source/reason for the transaction.(whether a wire or wise or other method)
Banks have algorithms to detect unusual activity and staff are trained regularly to note unusual activity.
Transactions over 10k are automatically reported in US. It does not mean they are suspicious. 2* 5k transactions is suspicious. iI is called structuring.
Old Jan 17th 2023, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer of money

I have used Wise to transfer money to an Asian bank, and also received wires from them (Asian bank) directly to my Bank of America account. The latter I forgot to inform BoA, and they subsequently froze all my accounts (checking and credit) until I called and explained the situation. I also stated I was going to cut the IRS and MA tax men a cheque the next day (which I did) for the unpaid income tax. They were satiated by that and unfroze the accounts. The call was for certain being recorded (they all are I know), but they stipulated the fact several times to me.