British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Trailing Spouse Struggling to Find Work (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/trailing-spouse-struggling-find-work-772107/)

art924 Sep 19th 2012 5:58 pm

Trailing Spouse Struggling to Find Work

Hi

I am currently in the middle of a 2 year career break which can be extended up to 5 years from the met. I am currently living in San Francisco with my wife who has transferred here with her job. As I'm on a spousal visa I do have the right the work in the USA. I was just wandering is there anyone out there who could give me some advice on where to look for work. I was a Detective in the Met for the previous 11 years the last 3 and half spent on the counter terrorism command. I am not interested in being a policeman here (I know I would have to be a citizen anyway) but would like to work in a similar field using my experience. I've applied for about 10-15 jobs so far with no luck. Anyone out there with advice/suggestions as to where to look or how to go about it? Thanks

Guindalf Sep 19th 2012 6:26 pm

Re: Trailing Spouse Struggling to Find Work

The only advice anyone can give here is networking. Keep sending out the info to the local departments and see if anyone will hire you in a civilian role.

That and maybe try security firms or maybe even private investigators.

It's the old saying...

If you throw enough S#i! against the wall, eventually some of it will stick!

GeoffM Sep 19th 2012 6:53 pm

Somebody asked a vaguely similar question a while ago and a suggestion was forensics. Ian-mstm, who posts on here, knows about this I believe.

Bob Sep 19th 2012 8:14 pm

LinkedIn.com and network to buggery....do the corporate hotel events and you'll probably find security people to talk to and get contacts that way too...there are plenty of high tech events that would have security.

fatbrit Sep 19th 2012 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by art924 (Post 10289321)
Anyone out there with advice/suggestions as to where to look or how to go about it? Thanks

Don't tell them you're only here for a few years but rather that you're here to live permanently.

Fifteen job applications is nothing.

art924 Sep 19th 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks Guys

Point taken about the networking aspect- Just need to keep plugging away and not panic.

tilz Sep 19th 2012 10:15 pm

Suggest the following

1. Make sure your CV is turned into a resume (they are different , you can look at some resume examples to get an idea)

2. As mentioned get linkedin up to date and use it to reach out to people

3. Use Indeed.com and search for roles in the bay area

My wife had trouble getting work applied to over 60 jobs but eventually got one , in some cases it just took ages to even get past the autoscreening systems !

Good Luck

ian-mstm Sep 19th 2012 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10289382)
Somebody asked a vaguely similar question a while ago and a suggestion was forensics. Ian-mstm, who posts on here, knows about this I believe.

How very nice of you to remember! Yes, it was me... I work at a university-based Forensic Science Center - I work in computer forensics.

art924... your experience might get you somewhere if you're keen to think outside the box. Take a look through the programs offered at any of the local colleges and universities and go talk to the dean or head of the departments... offer to help. If they have a forensics program, even better - there is a tremendous need to get law enforcement officers involved in the process at the college/university level - and it sounds as though your experience as a detective would be invaluable. I can't say whether or not there will be any money in it, but you would be able to network like crazy!

Best of luck to you.

Ian