British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Traffic violation - warning ticket - does it go on record? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/traffic-violation-warning-ticket-does-go-record-669465/)

EricK May 24th 2010 12:31 am

Traffic violation - warning ticket - does it go on record?

Well I'm not doing so well with driving over here so far - had my car for 3 weeks and so far got 1 parking ticket in NYC, and got pulled today for speeding in CT. Officer was very nice and friendly which came as a surprise compared to the condescending British traffic police! He said watch your speed, I apologised and he replied "Don't worry, if I had a new car I would be doing exactly the same thing..."

He issued a warning ticket - anybody know if this goes on record?

Bluegrass Lass May 24th 2010 2:11 am

Re: Traffic violation - warning ticket - does it go on record?

Originally Posted by EricK (Post 8585394)
Well I'm not doing so well with driving over here so far - had my car for 3 weeks and so far got 1 parking ticket in NYC, and got pulled today for speeding in CT. Officer was very nice and friendly which came as a surprise compared to the condescending British traffic police! He said watch your speed, I apologised and he replied "Don't worry, if I had a new car I would be doing exactly the same thing..."

As far as I'm aware, a warning ticket is meaningless.

SDDep May 24th 2010 2:16 am

If its anything like CA then no...its purely administrative...

FYI...most of us are nice and friendly unless the people we are interacting with aren't...then all bets are off..

besides which, its a traffic infraction and not the end of the world...in this case you wont get points and the insurance company wont find out...

I would check the police department/state troopers website to be 100% sure...

Have a great day:)

lisa67 May 24th 2010 2:41 am

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 8585478)
As far as I'm aware, a warning ticket is meaningless.

yep, I've had a couple of warning tickets:o, nothing went on my record/license

Ash UK/US May 24th 2010 4:21 am

Its the points on your license that are the problem (at least in MI) I got 2 points when I got my speeding ticket. This in turn raises my insurance $100 every 6 months. By the time I am done my speeding ticket will have cost me over $700 :( The points stay for 3 years too... as long as you didn't get any points I wouldn't worry.

lisa67 May 24th 2010 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 8585622)
Its the points on your license that are the problem (at least in MI) I got 2 points when I got my speeding ticket. This in turn raises my insurance $100 every 6 months. By the time I am done my speeding ticket will have cost me over $700 :( The points stay for 3 years too... as long as you didn't get any points I wouldn't worry.

But warning tickets are different than an actual ticket ticket!

MrSensical May 24th 2010 12:02 pm

I got a verbal warning for a headlight out a few months ago, I wouldn't worry about it, the state trooper didn't even have time to secure my handgun before he took off rather abruptly on another call.

Ash UK/US May 24th 2010 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 8586193)
But warning tickets are different than an actual ticket ticket!

I know ;) hence me saying that unless he/she got any points there is probably nothing to worry about!

tamms_1965 May 24th 2010 4:32 pm

It doesn't go on your license but where I live they put it in the "system." This just means that next time you get pulled over in our town it will pop up on the computer, and you will not get another warning, but an actual ticket.

Brit3964 May 25th 2010 12:51 pm

The only real reason for a warning ticket is it can't be disputed. Yes it does remain on record (not sure for how long) but it won't count against you in the way that points on a license will from getting a ticket. I had one once for not clearly displaying the tax/year decal on the tag (plate). There was a black plastic license frame which partially sat over the tag edge with the dealers name on it and came with the car when I bought it.

meauxna May 25th 2010 7:59 pm

I know this is going to seem OTT, but do yourself a favor and save copies of the ticket and the outcome; you may want it one day for a future AOS or naturalization application.

intlmike May 29th 2010 8:06 am

Specifically in Connecticut, it is kept on file for a period of time, and if you get two in that period, the officer will be prohibited from giving you a third and have to give you a ticket. When I took my driving test (back in 1993) it was a year.

Patrick Hasler May 29th 2010 5:22 pm

:thumbdown:

Actually a warning ticket does not show as a violation but if stopped in the same state for anything it will pop up on the computer records and you may get a full ticket next time.
Anyway ! .....shame on you :frown: 3 weeks and you already have tickets

lapin_windstar May 30th 2010 2:12 am

Bloody immigrants, coming over 'ere, disobeying our laws... ;)

Originally Posted by Brit3964 (Post 8588459)
There was a black plastic license frame which partially sat over the tag edge with the dealers name on it and came with the car when I bought it.

Those licence plate frames bewilder me. Firstly, they're often technically illegal (some/many/all? states have anti-plate obstruction laws) and secondly, when you see them advertised as plate protectors...what are they protecting from what? :confused: