Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from London to San Fransisco

Moving from London to San Fransisco

Old May 26th 2010, 3:32 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of
Default Moving from London to San Fransisco

As long as the visa for my partners job comes through (we are on the fast track for the H1B) so should know in 2 weeks we will be moving to San Fransisco for a job start on the 1st of October.

I have been looking into moving companies so if anyone has any recommendations (good / bad experiences) it would be much appreciated I think we would ship a 20ft container.

<snip>

Finally (for now) we will need to rent and have two small well behaved dogs any idea where would be a good place to start.

House is on the market but that I realise is just the tip of the iceberg.

This all comes before we move to Vancouver in a couple of years as we have our PRV for Canada.

Thanks in advance for any information

Last edited by meauxna; May 26th 2010 at 4:01 pm.
Old May 26th 2010, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from London to San Fransisco

Originally Posted by BadgerNaboo
As long as the visa for my partners job comes through (we are on the fast track for the H1B) so should know in 2 weeks we will be moving to San Fransisco for a job start on the 1st of October.

I have been looking into moving companies so if anyone has any recommendations (good / bad experiences) it would be much appreciated I think we would ship a 20ft container.

There is also the question of the H1B I understand that if we are not married (we are engaged at the moment) that I would need to leave the US for one month every six months has anyone else had to go through this process?

Finally (for now) we will need to rent and have two small well behaved dogs any idea where would be a good place to start.

House is on the market but that I realise is just the tip of the iceberg.

This all comes before we move to Vancouver in a couple of years as we have our PRV for Canada.

Thanks in advance for any information
There are lots of threads about moving...you can do a search for them.

As for the coming and going every 6 months, i'm not sure how that works, but it seems like if you do it too often (and don't have strong ties in the UK) that could cause some issues with the visitor visa.

Is there any reason you guys are not wanting to get married? that may be the easiest thing to do.
Old May 26th 2010, 4:00 pm

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reply I did try to do a search but just got every topic under the sun when I searched for shipping.

We will get married it's just finding the time to organize / arrange with everything else going on..
Old May 26th 2010, 4:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I have edited out the immigration portion of your question so your moving questions can stay here unmolested. Please keep the immigration questions in that forum, thanks.
Old May 26th 2010, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply I did try to do a search but just got every topic under the sun when I searched for shipping.

We will get married it's just finding the time to organize / arrange with everything else going on..
might be a few less results if you chose the search words more specifically...like Moving company recommendations........ or International moving companies. Something like that, good luck Look in the US forums only.
Old May 26th 2010, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

windseafire is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved to SF from Essex in 2008 so hopefully my experience can help.

I used these guys to move. Keith Waters at Paramount Transportation Systems 1-866-367-7876 or 908-217-5342 or [email protected]

They did a really excellent job of packing in the UK and guided me on what I could and could not take. They also split the delivery in SF with some things going to the apartment and the rest to storage. No missdirections, nothing missing or broken and kept me informed all the way through.

I rented for six months at Larkspur Shores before I bought which is a 30 min ferry ride to the center of SF. I just loved that ride after the commute into London every day, but I guess it is what ever floats your boat and you may prefer being in the city. They are however very dog friendly with lots of dogs and friendly neighbours. I also remember seeing a sign for dog day care if you needed it.

Biggest issue I had was getting the apartment etc before I had a Social Security ID and with no credit history. I was given an assiting agency who would have probably made it easier for me but I did my own thing as I wanted to get a place secured when I was on a business trip and before I officially arrived here. They are worth a call and many companies use them so yours might assist.

Temporary Housing, Long Term Housing Assistance & Settling-In Services including AIG - Francesca or Betty at Relocation Breakthroughs 415-863-8216 or [email protected] / [email protected]

Good luck and hope the above helps.
Old May 27th 2010, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

We moved to San Francisco (well Burlingame) in November last year
We used Anglo pacific for our shipping - if you search my previous posts you should find the prices we paid as I don't have them to hand Also we bought our two we sties with us and organized it all ourselves through virgin
Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.
Also if you are considering living on the peninsula I can put you in touch with the realtor we used who was excellent finding us somewhere that allowed dogs
Old May 27th 2010, 9:19 am
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

OP's other half here....

Thanks for all the help!
Old May 27th 2010, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by windseafire
I moved to SF from Essex in 2008 so hopefully my experience can help.

I used these guys to move. Keith Waters at Paramount Transportation Systems 1-866-367-7876 or 908-217-5342 or [email protected]

They did a really excellent job of packing in the UK and guided me on what I could and could not take. They also split the delivery in SF with some things going to the apartment and the rest to storage. No missdirections, nothing missing or broken and kept me informed all the way through.

I rented for six months at Larkspur Shores before I bought which is a 30 min ferry ride to the center of SF. I just loved that ride after the commute into London every day, but I guess it is what ever floats your boat and you may prefer being in the city. They are however very dog friendly with lots of dogs and friendly neighbours. I also remember seeing a sign for dog day care if you needed it.

Biggest issue I had was getting the apartment etc before I had a Social Security ID and with no credit history. I was given an assiting agency who would have probably made it easier for me but I did my own thing as I wanted to get a place secured when I was on a business trip and before I officially arrived here. They are worth a call and many companies use them so yours might assist.

Temporary Housing, Long Term Housing Assistance & Settling-In Services including AIG - Francesca or Betty at Relocation Breakthroughs 415-863-8216 or [email protected] / [email protected]

Good luck and hope the above helps.
Thank you very much for taking the time to write I will look into the relocation option.
Old May 27th 2010, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
We moved to San Francisco (well Burlingame) in November last year
We used Anglo pacific for our shipping - if you search my previous posts you should find the prices we paid as I don't have them to hand Also we bought our two we sties with us and organized it all ourselves through virgin
Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.
Also if you are considering living on the peninsula I can put you in touch with the realtor we used who was excellent finding us somewhere that allowed dogs
Thanks I will have a look at the posts.

I so wanted to fly my dogs with Virgin but as Badger is a Boston Terrier they will not fly her Our only option is Continental really as they do publish the stats and do much better than many other airlines..
Old May 27th 2010, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Thanks I will have a look at the posts.

I so wanted to fly my dogs with Virgin but as Badger is a Boston Terrier they will not fly her Our only option is Continental really as they do publish the stats and do much better than many other airlines..
Dont want to put a downer on your plans, but most continental flights are the same flights as Virgin (ie they use the virgin plane) so you might get the same response.

I believe it is to do with their face and the squished nose, as it can affect their breathing. Have you tried BA? your other option is a no direct route, not sure there are any other direct flights. Maybe US Airways is a possibility, also be warned that a lot of companies wont fly pets over the summer due to the temperatures.

Good luck
Old May 27th 2010, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
Dont want to put a downer on your plans, but most continental flights are the same flights as Virgin (ie they use the virgin plane) so you might get the same response.

I believe it is to do with their face and the squished nose, as it can affect their breathing. Have you tried BA? your other option is a no direct route, not sure there are any other direct flights. Maybe US Airways is a possibility, also be warned that a lot of companies wont fly pets over the summer due to the temperatures.

Good luck
Thanks for your response my friend just brought her four Boston's over from the US so we know we are ok with Badger on Continental. They are also the company that fly dogs over for Crufts so hopefully they have very high standards. Will update when I confirm
Old May 28th 2010, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, can't offer you too much help but just wanted to mention that my wife and I are moving to SF soon! From Australia !
Old May 28th 2010, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by E3only
Sorry, can't offer you too much help but just wanted to mention that my wife and I are moving to SF soon! From Australia !
Hi

Looks like we both have a big trip to do.

Have you been to SF? I have not but today we are booking for the start of July and will have to organize a wedding there there too.

Not much pressure then

For us we will be there for start of October not too long..
Old May 28th 2010, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Looks like we both have a big trip to do.

Have you been to SF? I have not but today we are booking for the start of July and will have to organize a wedding there there too.

Not much pressure then

For us we will be there for start of October not too long..
I have been to SF a few times, it's a bigggg move regardless. I will be moving next month...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.