Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Traditional Sunday Roast's

Traditional Sunday Roast's

Old Apr 12th 2004, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Traditional Sunday Roast's

"Mmmmm....!" Gravy soaked slices of Roast Beef, Yorkshire Puds, Crispy Roast Potatoes, Roasted Parsnips, Paxo Stuffing, Brussels, Carrots and Peas... maybe even some mini sausages wrapped in Bacon! Divine! Okay, so I probably only cook a roast once in a while but I can't imagine giving it up forever.
Do you still make a roast now you're in the US and if so, does it taste the same???
Old Apr 12th 2004, 10:57 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I make roasties here and they go down a storm. I can't find bread sauce anywhere so I'll have to resort to making my own. And yes it does taste just the same.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Traditional Sunday Roast's

Originally posted by whatever
"Mmmmm....!" Gravy soaked slices of Roast Beef, Yorkshire Puds, Crispy Roast Potatoes, Roasted Parsnips, Paxo Stuffing, Brussels, Carrots and Peas... maybe even some mini sausages wrapped in Bacon! Divine! Okay, so I probably only cook a roast once in a while but I can't imagine giving it up forever.
Do you still make a roast now you're in the US and if so, does it taste the same???
I made one yesterday for Easter. It was delish. I buy rib roast, they usually have it on sale at the holiday times. I have bisto so the gravy was the way it is supposed to be. It gets a bit hot here in AZ to have the oven on, but every once in a while we get a craving for roast beef.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I do make a roast beef dinner once in a while. I use top round beef for it, as I don't like the fattier cuts and it turns out fine. I have Bisto powder in the cupboard as well. I do plenty Yorkshire pudding as well as that is our favourite part of the meal. I sometimes do a trifle for afters.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by effi
I made one yesterday for Easter. It was delish. I buy rib roast, they usually have it on sale at the holiday times. I have bisto so the gravy was the way it is supposed to be. It gets a bit hot here in AZ to have the oven on, but every once in a while we get a craving for roast beef.

What is rib roast?

Do you buy Bisto from the British shops?
Old Apr 12th 2004, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I get Bisto brought over with the family when they come for a visit. We don't have any British shops nearby. If you are planning to live over here, buy plenty of your favourite items before you come over so that they will last for a while.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by joto
I get Bisto brought over with the family when they come for a visit. We don't have any British shops nearby. If you are planning to live over here, buy plenty of your favourite items before you come over so that they will last for a while.
Absolutely! I have started a list of the usual suspects such as, Marmite, Chocolate Hob Nobs (for emergencies ), M&S Marmalade, Teabags (and trust me to be difficult as I have changed over to decaffinated Typhoo in the last few months - hope I can get those if I run out), a selection of choccies and sweets, Andrews, The Sanctuary Bath products and treatments (to die for) and now, Bisto.

What foods/sweets do you miss the most? (Perhaps you'll give me some ideas)?
Old Apr 12th 2004, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whatever

Yes I make a roast dinner often- and it tastes the same unless we're having pork....try and find a piece of pork with the skin left on for crackling!! Occaisonally I go to a butcher in Sarasota and he cuts me a few pieces with skin.... also, no cooking apples, so apple sauce isn't the same. Beef, I buy Sirloin- am not a lover of rib roast- too fatty. I make gravy the same way I did in UK adding an oxo or two and a teasp of marmite. Yorshires and roasties taste the same- and I make trifles, crumbles etc for afters. Jellies/jello you can get, blancemange has to be brought out, Birds custard is available everywhere here and whipping cream (although definitely not as good as UK).
Old Apr 13th 2004, 12:04 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Mmmmm, most definitely!

It was roast beef and yorkshire puds for us yesterday and it went down a storm though I'll be buggered if I can get my puds here to come out the same as they did in the UK and I don't know why. *sigh*
Old Apr 13th 2004, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
Mmmmm, most definitely!

It was roast beef and yorkshire puds for us yesterday and it went down a storm though I'll be buggered if I can get my puds here to come out the same as they did in the UK and I don't know why. *sigh*
Me either but mine are better than they were in the UK... not sure why maybe having a bigger oven?

Ash
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

It's so funny you should post this today. I've just crawled over to the computer, barely able to move after having stuffed my face with Roast Beef, Yorkshire Puddings, Roast Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes, Roast Parsnips, Carrot and Turnip and lashings of gravy.....mmmmmm

If you do move to Plano Whatever you can get Bisto at the Kroger Signature stores along with a selection of other British goods but I make gravy the traditional way with stock cubes and meat juices....mmmmmmm...

I imagine this will be the last roast I make for a while though. I seized the opportunity as it was fairly cool and cloudy today. It gets far too hot here in the summer to be bothered with roasting.

Note on the puds, I think it's the flour, it's different, mine are coming out ok but not as good as back at home.

Cakes are a pain as well. Someone told me you have to get flour specifically for cakes as the self rising as they call it here just doesn't cut it for a victoria sponge. I haven't tried the cake flour yet.

I think without doubt the food I miss the most is bread. The bread here is foul, cakey stuff... ick. My parents bring me warburtons when they come over and I make my own when I can muster the energy. I need to get a bread machine.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:29 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
Me either but mine are better than they were in the UK... not sure why maybe having a bigger oven?

Ash
My yorkies have shown a staggering improvement. No idea why as I'm a crap cook most of the time.

I totally agree about the bread here. The stuff is indestructable. We bought some weeks ago and it's still going strong. Tastes vile though.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:56 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a fan of roasts and prepare a roast meat and trimmings on Sundays (not every Sunday though).

Favourite is roast lamb (American. Can't stand NZ or Australian). Second is roast chicken (hormone and antibiotic free) then roast pork.

Usually make one vegetable to go with the roast plus mashed potatoes and lots of gravy. Fortunately, I've mastered making gravy (you need to have a small whisk to get the lumps out).

My attempts at Yorkshire puddings/toad in the hole haven't worked so well so far. I think part of the problem is that I've been using British recipes and American flour is much more finely ground than British flour so the volume of flour is greater. I have to adjust the liquid measures better.

Otherwise, I'm doing fine.

Thanksgiving turkey (the first turkey I roasted) in 2003 for the in-laws went down a treat fortunately so I know I can roast turkey.

NC Penguin (looked for fresh rabbit for Easter but couldn't find one to prepare for the Easter meal)
Old Apr 13th 2004, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

I do a roast every Sunday(except for the hottest days of the summer!),it's just not Sunday without a roast!
I don't do any particular cut of beef, just whatever looks the nicest and leanest when I'm shopping for it,( I always like to make a rack of carrots, onions and celery to sit the roast beef on while it's cooking,and poke garlic cloves into little slits in the roast itself,)always do roast potatoes,sometimes roast sweet potatoes either as well or instead,carrots and peas,or whatever veggies look the nicest at the time,lots of gravy made with oxo cubes,of course!We really like roast pork loin,never did like the crackling,so not having that doesn't bother me,I always loved roast lamb but when I do see it locally,it's unbelievably expensive,and just doesn't taste the same.
I don't usually do yorkshire puds on a Sunday because I do toad-in-the-hole at least once a month,I find that if you make the batter then let it stand for a while it seems to get frothy and rises beautifully,(but I do think the amount of humidity in the air has an effect on the way yorkshire pud rises)I don't put any oil in the pan just cook the sausages for about 10 minutes and then just pour the batter over them,I think they have enough grease in them anyway,and I always use the small breakfast sausages,btw,I like to crumble an oxo cube into the batter as well,gives it added flavour,or sprinkle in some 'Mrs.Dash,table blend'.
Sunday is also the only day I do dessert as well,except for holidays,of course.
We had roast turkey breast for Easter,with all the trimmings,we had a very late dinner,so I didn't bother doing a dessert,but then it was our 18th Anniversary yesterday,so I did steaks under the broiler,with spinach salad and garlic bread,VERY DELICIOUS!,and strawberry cake with strawberries and Cool Whip mixed together as a filling VERY YUMMY as well!
My new kitchen should be finished by the end of this week!,can't wait to get my 'stuff' organised in there,and cook a celebration meal!,it's taken 9 months to do,but my husband completely gutted it right back to the studs in the walls,ceiling and floors!,but now it's my dream kitchen/dining room!! YIPEE!!!!.......Sophia (Illinois)
Old Apr 13th 2004, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Sophia_S
I do a roast every Sunday(except for the hottest days of the summer!),it's just not Sunday without a roast!
I don't do any particular cut of beef, just whatever looks the nicest and leanest when I'm shopping for it,( I always like to make a rack of carrots, onions and celery to sit the roast beef on while it's cooking,and poke garlic cloves into little slits in the roast itself,)always do roast potatoes,sometimes roast sweet potatoes either as well or instead,carrots and peas,or whatever veggies look the nicest at the time,lots of gravy made with oxo cubes,of course!We really like roast pork loin,never did like the crackling,so not having that doesn't bother me,I always loved roast lamb but when I do see it locally,it's unbelievably expensive,and just doesn't taste the same.
I don't usually do yorkshire puds on a Sunday because I do toad-in-the-hole at least once a month,I find that if you make the batter then let it stand for a while it seems to get frothy and rises beautifully,(but I do think the amount of humidity in the air has an effect on the way yorkshire pud rises)I don't put any oil in the pan just cook the sausages for about 10 minutes and then just pour the batter over them,I think they have enough grease in them anyway,and I always use the small breakfast sausages,btw,I like to crumble an oxo cube into the batter as well,gives it added flavour,or sprinkle in some 'Mrs.Dash,table blend'.
Sunday is also the only day I do dessert as well,except for holidays,of course.
We had roast turkey breast for Easter,with all the trimmings,we had a very late dinner,so I didn't bother doing a dessert,but then it was our 18th Anniversary yesterday,so I did steaks under the broiler,with spinach salad and garlic bread,VERY DELICIOUS!,and strawberry cake with strawberries and Cool Whip mixed together as a filling VERY YUMMY as well!
My new kitchen should be finished by the end of this week!,can't wait to get my 'stuff' organised in there,and cook a celebration meal!,it's taken 9 months to do,but my husband completely gutted it right back to the studs in the walls,ceiling and floors!,but now it's my dream kitchen/dining room!! YIPEE!!!!.......Sophia (Illinois)
OMG, can I come over for dinner sometime, I'll make the trifle, with homemade custard (lotsa fresh whipped cream)? Please share your pics of your new kitchen with us all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.