Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Trading Standards

Trading Standards

Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trading Standards

Anyone know if something similar exists over here?

I have a Plymouth Grand Voyager and had the break system replaced earlier in the year by Just Brakes here in Garland on Northwest Highway.

Since then it has been back in to have the brakes repaired three times, the last of which was just last month and they replaced the Master Cylinder.

Tonight my brakes failed totally at a junction and I had to swerve right to avoid being hit by oncoming traffic. Very hairy and I can't help but think some shonky workmanship is going on.

Is there anyone I can report them too? Bearing in mind a crash with these big bloody trucks in Texas could well have killed me I'd like to report them to someone.

Back in the UK this would be a prosecutable offence - is this the case here? (My Dad is in Health and Safety and is in an office a few doors down from Trading Standards so knows the form)
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trading Standards

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
Anyone know if something similar exists over here? ....
I'm not sure that it is quite the same, but most Americans seem to make the Better Business Bureau their first point of complaint. I am not sure how effective it is in settling disputes though, and I doubt that they are able to close down a dangerous business either.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:04 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Most states as far as I am aware have a Department of Consumer Affairs and a Best Business Dept - look up your States homepage for details.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Thanking you kindly
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:50 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Plymouth Grand Voyager and had the break system replaced earlier in the year by Just Brakes here in Garland on Northwest Highway.

Since then it has been back in to have the brakes repaired three times, the last of which was just last month and they replaced the Master Cylinder.

Tonight my brakes failed totally at a junction and I had to swerve right to avoid being hit by oncoming traffic. Very hairy and I can't help but think some shonky workmanship is going on.

Is there anyone I can report them too? Bearing in mind a crash with these big bloody trucks in Texas could well have killed me I'd like to report them to someone.

Back in the UK this would be a prosecutable offence - is this the case here? (My Dad is in Health and Safety and is in an office a few doors down from Trading Standards so knows the form)
Are you or any friends members of the Consumers Union, the publishers of the magazine (and website), "Consumer Reports"? It's the equivalent of Which in the UK.

Consumers Union/Consumer Reports issue reports monthly and include things like product recalls and the like that also covers faults/defects in vehicles.

If no-one you know has membership (and therefore access to the members only section of the website), your nearest public library probably has the magazine.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:25 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Snorkmaiden

are you talking about the 'Just Brakes" place right on the corner of northwest and the 635 service road (next door to Denny's).
Also is your car a new one?
Old Nov 6th 2003, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am talking about that one yes Yosser and no it's not a new car it's a well used one, but in pretty decent nick. It's a 1997 but has all the bells and whistles so does me a lot better than the vauxhall cavalier I had back home

My husband took it back down there this morning, there is actually a new manager and he was very apologetic so we'll see how it goes this time. We sent a strongly worded complaint via the Just Brakes web site last night, I don't know if the head office types will have contacted the manager yet.

We had gone to that one as we only have the one car and it's right by my husbands work so was convenient.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 5:00 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

I am talking about that one yes Yosser and no it's not a new car it's a well used one, but in pretty decent nick. It's a 1997 but has all the bells and whistles so does me a lot better than the vauxhall cavalier I had back home

My husband took it back down there this morning, there is actually a new manager and he was very apologetic so we'll see how it goes this time. We sent a strongly worded complaint via the Just Brakes web site last night, I don't know if the head office types will have contacted the manager yet.

We had gone to that one as we only have the one car and it's right by my husbands work so was convenient.
I was just wondering if the car was new, you can get it replaced under the "lemon law' or something like that?

That particular "just brakes" always looked weird, I'm sure its one of those converted petrol stations, but anyways I just thought it looked weird, I hope you get your car sorted out soon,

"Just don't say NO" for a answer.