British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Trader joe's & whole foods question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/trader-joes-whole-foods-question-789688/)

Karrie72 Mar 8th 2013 1:18 pm

Re: Trader joe's & whole foods question

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 10591942)
Yeah. I'm on BP meds and I'm type II diabetic, so I don't eat these as often as I'd like, but for an occasional treat, I'll deal with it!

Good for you, enjoy it! I found my blood pressure went down completely after I cut out all processed food, too much salt doesn't agree with me.

WEBlue Mar 8th 2013 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 10591079)
So from reading this it appears people love TJ's because of the snacks and the freezer section. Is this why I don't like it? The only time I go into the frozen section anywhere is to buy ice-cream, and I try not to buy snacks. Do most people just heat up frozen meals for family dinners?

No, I've never bought a single "frozen meal" from Trader Joes. But I do love their frozen department. I NEVER buy ice cream there, though - the selction is limited & not very good. Much better choice & price at the regular supermarket if you buy whatever ice cream brand is on sale that week. But forgetting frozen meals & ice cream, most of the other frozen TJ stuff is super great! And much better value than Whole Foods IMO.

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10591192)
The frozen veg are good too, like the grilled corn, peas, beans. Organic for the cost of regular stuff or near enough. The fish is good too.

Yes exactly, I try to buy all or most of my frozen veggies at TJ, also any frozen fruit I buy there (for making the odd pie or dessert). I love, love TJ frozen fine baby green beans, also edamame, peas, etc. ALL their frozen vegs are delicious.

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10591192)
Dried fruit, nuts, rice cracker type things are usually half the price too and the bag of choc chips and bricks of chocolate are great for baking for the % and cheaper than else where.

Ditto. I love TJ healthy snacks, like nuts or rice crackers, trail mix. These things are sooo bl$$dy expensive in the supermarket & usually full of additives/salt to boot.

SalopianFunk Mar 9th 2013 9:11 am

The Whole Foods by my college used to have a decent cafe, until they replaced it with a bar that I do not respects as a public house type establishment whatsoever. Now the only leverage it has at all over TJs is that it has a slightly cheaper available six pack, and does a descent refrigerated chicken pot pie.

cindyabs Mar 9th 2013 10:12 am

The nearest TJ tp me is English Tart's stomping ground. They're opening a Whole Paycheck in Savannah but won't be going there.

kins Mar 11th 2013 12:08 am

I bought the Trader Joes 'Unexpected Cheddar' today and it's fantastic.

Bob Mar 11th 2013 12:18 am

Originally Posted by kins (Post 10596021)
I bought the Trader Joes 'Unexpected Cheddar' today and it's fantastic.

Yes, that stuff is lovely.

It's a little odd when you melt it for a white sauce though...but cracking value.

Pulaski Mar 11th 2013 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 10591115)
I don't use freezer meals unless I'm totally knackered. .....

How apt! :rofl:

Hiro11 Mar 11th 2013 5:49 pm

TJ's is good for:
Coffee (I like the Wake Up)
Peanut butter, jam, honey
Canned goods
Cereal
Nuts
Raisins
Snack mixes
Energy bars
Frozen veggies
Chips & cookies
Wine
Beer
Dairy / Cheese
Chocolate

WF is basically good for everything, but the good stuff costs serious scratch.

Between TJs and Costco, we almost never go to a "regular" grocery store.

Ryan NI Mar 12th 2013 2:13 pm

Seen the irish sausages down there yesterday. Was out for a walk with my son, he loves the wee natural fruit bars so went in but only had a few bucks on me so couldn't afford the sausies. I'll be down today to buy the place out!!

Steerpike Mar 14th 2013 5:18 am

One small side effect of a TJ or WF moving into town is that the local Safeway or Fry's or Kroger or whatever will get beefed up with a better produce section, and so on.

S Folinsky Mar 17th 2013 12:53 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 10588345)
The best thing about Trader Joe's is two buck Chuck, even if it is more than that now. :thumbsup:

Last time I looked it was still two bucks here in LA. I was in Chicago a few weeks back and it was three bucks. [BTW, I was there to buy lunches to eat on SWA on the flights back via Midway].

I recall stopping in TJ's in Philly a few years back -- PA does not allow wine sales in grocery chains.

Karrie72 Mar 17th 2013 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Ryan NI (Post 10599173)
Seen the irish sausages down there yesterday. Was out for a walk with my son, he loves the wee natural fruit bars so went in but only had a few bucks on me so couldn't afford the sausies. I'll be down today to buy the place out!!

I had the sausages last week and they were nasty IMO. Pink on the inside with a strange taste. Whole foods has much tastier Irish sausages.

mandpete Mar 17th 2013 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 10608860)
I had the sausages last week and they were nasty IMO. Pink on the inside with a strange taste. Whole foods has much tastier Irish sausages.

We tried the TJ Irish bangers last year and didn't like them, tough skins, strange texture and pretty tasteless, WF ones are not much better. Not a patch on the breakfast links I buy from my local farmers market.

Southy_SWFC Mar 18th 2013 1:04 am

I tried the Irish bangers from Trader Joes tonight. As already stated, they were a bit bland and the skins were tough but they were OK. It didn't matter too much though as they were covered in onion gravy and served with mash n Yorkshires

Karrie72 Mar 18th 2013 2:03 am

We had the Whole Foods sausages tonight with mash.. They were really good, the real thing, or very close.