Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Towns with schooling and links to NYC

Towns with schooling and links to NYC

Old Feb 9th 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice
Default Towns with schooling and links to NYC

I am still struggling to pick an area that has good schools in NJ and has a reasonable commute into NYC. COuld anyone name some decent towns or neighbourhood I should check out?

I did look at Princeton Junction, it seems to have good schools but seems miles out.

I'm not very keen on Jersey City, where I am staying at the moment.

Many thanks.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:21 pm
time for a cuppa?

ukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Towns with schooling and links to NYC

Originally Posted by Majj
I am still struggling to pick an area that has good schools in NJ and has a reasonable commute into NYC. COuld anyone name some decent towns or neighbourhood I should check out?

I did look at Princeton Junction, it seems to have good schools but seems miles out.

Many thanks.
Check out this website -I have used it when moving within the States to check out schools and communities.
http://www.homefair.com/find_a_place...orts/index.asp
Good luck
Old Feb 10th 2007, 4:04 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Towns with schooling and links to NYC

Many thanks.
The best schools are in towns where housing costs are high. My husband works in Times Square and takes the NJ Transit MidTown Direct trains into Penn Station, but on the same track you can take trains to Hoboken and then take either the ferries to lower Manhatten or the PATH trains. :

You might want to check out tons served by the Morris & Essex branch of NJ Midtown Direct: Maplewood, Millburn & Short Hills (same school distriwct - Millburn), Summit, Chatham and Madison.

Maplewood is very picturesque and is very diverse; 33% black population and large gay community raising their children. Many media types there; writers, journalists, TV and film producers etc. Commute on express trains to NYC is about 25-30 mins. Schools not as good as the other towns listed. Check out http://www.maplewoodonline.com

Millburn & Short Hills has one of the best school districts in he US....housing v. expensive in some parts of the town. Large Jewish community. Crime rate very low. Professionals such as managers, attorneys, bankers, surgeons etc. reside in the township. I live in the Short Hills section. Commute approx 30-45 mins. http://www.millburn.org

Summit; somewhat larger town; becoming more diverse with growing Hispanic community, quite a lot from Costa Rica. Interchange for NJ Transit trains.

Chatham and Madison: mainly white middle-class communities...true suburbia.

For housing inc. rentals:

http://www.burgdorff.com

http://www.weichert.com

If you go to the Wikipedia.org website and list the towns on the search facility you should be able to find more info.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

bit general and might not help, but i've found it a great resource for getting an idea on the palce - http://www.epodunk.com/
Old Feb 11th 2007, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Originally Posted by Englishmum
The best schools are in towns where housing costs are high. My husband works in Times Square and takes the NJ Transit MidTown Direct trains into Penn Station, but on the same track you can take trains to Hoboken and then take either the ferries to lower Manhatten or the PATH trains. :

You might want to check out tons served by the Morris & Essex branch of NJ Midtown Direct: Maplewood, Millburn & Short Hills (same school distriwct - Millburn), Summit, Chatham and Madison.

Maplewood is very picturesque and is very diverse; 33% black population and large gay community raising their children. Many media types there; writers, journalists, TV and film producers etc. Commute on express trains to NYC is about 25-30 mins. Schools not as good as the other towns listed. Check out http://www.maplewoodonline.com

Millburn & Short Hills has one of the best school districts in he US....housing v. expensive in some parts of the town. Large Jewish community. Crime rate very low. Professionals such as managers, attorneys, bankers, surgeons etc. reside in the township. I live in the Short Hills section. Commute approx 30-45 mins. http://www.millburn.org

Summit; somewhat larger town; becoming more diverse with growing Hispanic community, quite a lot from Costa Rica. Interchange for NJ Transit trains.

Chatham and Madison: mainly white middle-class communities...true suburbia.

For housing inc. rentals:

http://www.burgdorff.com

http://www.weichert.com

If you go to the Wikipedia.org website and list the towns on the search facility you should be able to find more info.

Thanks for this very helpful. With the kids and wife though, I am looking at Rutherford. The schools seem ok, the town too seems reasonable and it has a link into Manhatten. As a starting point it might be a acceptable balance.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:05 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this very helpful. With the kids and wife though, I am looking at Rutherford. The schools seem ok, the town too seems reasonable and it has a link into Manhatten. As a starting point it might be a acceptable balance.

Not too familiar with Rutherford (although my friend delivered a baby at the hospital there) but it seems OK. If you plan to visit NYC during the weekends do check that there is actually a train service; I know that the Montclair line has no weekend service into the city, not sure if that would also include Rutherford.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Not too familiar with Rutherford (although my friend delivered a baby at the hospital there) but it seems OK. If you plan to visit NYC during the weekends do check that there is actually a train service; I know that the Montclair line has no weekend service into the city, not sure if that would also include Rutherford.
I only really need to get into NYC Mon to Fri for work, 42 st Grand Central. Worse come to the worse, I could always drive down to a Path Station for the weekend. Rutherford is on the Bergen COunty main Line.

Glen Rock seems to have good schools as well, but that might be going out a bit too far at the moment.

But thanks for the tip anyway.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't we just do this for you a few weeks ago? Or was it someone else?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
Didn't we just do this for you a few weeks ago? Or was it someone else?
Possibly, but I wasn't in the US then.