Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Totally forgotten, IRS taxing UK state pension

Totally forgotten, IRS taxing UK state pension

Old Dec 17th 2020, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

branmin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Totally forgotten, IRS taxing UK state pension

Sorry, must have been mentioned many times and I'm going through old posts but just wanted to make sure. I presumably have to declare my UK state pension for my wife and I for the year. Goes into a UK bank and haven't touched it so far. Presumably that is income though, but just checking if its added to my gross income over here and thereby taxed accordingly.
Thx. Brain just not functioning.
Old Dec 17th 2020, 5:45 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Totally forgotten, IRS taxing UK state pension

I declare my UK State pension and pay US tax on it. The fact you leave it in the UK makes no difference.
Old Dec 17th 2020, 5:55 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by branmin
Sorry, must have been mentioned many times and I'm going through old posts but just wanted to make sure. I presumably have to declare my UK state pension for my wife and I for the year. Goes into a UK bank and haven't touched it so far. Presumably that is income though, but just checking if its added to my gross income over here and thereby taxed accordingly.
Thx. Brain just not functioning.
I think you are confusing the concept of “remittance” with the US concept of “world wide income”. If you are a Brit and leave the UK for long enough and are paid abroad and keep the income abroad it is not taxed in the UK. If you are a US person by the IRS definition they want to know about your worldwide income and assets, they don’t care if you remit it to the US or keep it outside, they will tax you on it, that said in some cases you may get a foreign earned income exemption or a double taxation treaty may help.
Old Dec 19th 2020, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

branmin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tht
I think you are confusing the concept of “remittance” with the US concept of “world wide income”. If you are a Brit and leave the UK for long enough and are paid abroad and keep the income abroad it is not taxed in the UK. If you are a US person by the IRS definition they want to know about your worldwide income and assets, they don’t care if you remit it to the US or keep it outside, they will tax you on it, that said in some cases you may get a foreign earned income exemption or a double taxation treaty may help.
Thx Guys..and Lansbury.
Old Dec 20th 2020, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

If foreign income or information returns were omitted, the IRS official Streamlined Domestic Procedures exist to enable one to catch up at a relatively modest cost: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...-united-states