Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

total rubbish

total rubbish

Old Sep 25th 2006, 6:04 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default total rubbish

Has anyone been following the UK "recycling" trash stories. Apparently now :-

* They are starting to only collect trash every 2 weeks
* The lid must be shut else they won't take it.
* No additional bags - all must fit in the bin
* Anything in the trash that should be in recylcle, they won't take ANY of your trash

You also have multiple recycle bins and you are NOT allowed to get what goes in wrong. Card in card, plastic in plastic and bottles, compeltely washed and in the right container. No errors allowed else it stays in your yard.

My sister reckons - they UK has gone mad !!
Old Sep 25th 2006, 6:07 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: total rubbish

Easier to dump it over a convenient hedgerow I would think. It's what I would categorize as overdoing it.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 6:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s

* Anything in the trash that should be in recylcle, they won't take ANY of your trash

You also have multiple recycle bins and you are NOT allowed to get what goes in wrong. Card in card, plastic in plastic and bottles, compeltely washed and in the right container. No errors allowed else it stays in your yard.

How are they going to know if there is a glass bottle in the plastic bin? Do they sift through all the trash?
Old Sep 25th 2006, 6:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How are they going to know if there is a glass bottle in the plastic bin? Do they sift through all the trash?

Here it gets sinister...

"Electronic spy 'bugs' have been secretly planted in hundreds of thousands of household wheelie bins.

The gadgets - mostly installed by companies based in Germany - transmit information about the contents of the bins to a central database which then keeps records on the waste disposal habits of each individual address.

Already some 500,000 bins in council districts across England have been fitted with the bugs - with nearly all areas expected to follow suit within the next couple of years.

Until now, the majority of bins have been altered without the knowledge of their owners. In many cases, councils which ordered the installation of the devices did not even debate the proposals publicly."

Source: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...bin/article.do
Old Sep 25th 2006, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

GaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud of

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't individual councils set these sorts of rules? I think the government can set general guidelines, but I would be quite surprised if they bothered to tinker with such little details. Those rules certainly don't apply in Brighton, even when the council has separate door-to-door recycling boxes.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I must disagree w/ ur sister. I do not classify myself as a "greenie" at all. However, I believe that we all must take some responsibility for our actions.

In Cambridge, they collect "rubbish" one week, the green bin (paper, card, garden) the next week along with the recycling box that has glass, plastics etc in it.

Two weeks of rubbish (trash) for 3 adults? Less than half a wheelie bin full.

I'm looking forward to the government charging for the amount of rubbish removed on a household basis.....it's not at all difficult to recycle, people are just lazy.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not? It's not that difficult and will maybe make people aware of what hey are using.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly what my Mum has been doing for the last couple of years and she doesn't mind doing it at all.

In England I used to put my papers out for recycling every other week and dropped off glass and plastic bottles in the appropriate coloured bins which were in the local Safeway car park.

In NJ I have a green bucket for all paper/cardboard and a yellow bin for glass and plastic. The bins are emptied every other week and mine are always full. I like to think I am doing my bit for the environment. I have heard a rumour that our regular bins can be spot checked and that a fine is given if you have recyclables in with your regular trash. I'm not sure how true this is though.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 7:44 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

I am all for going green BUT my point was that much of this is ridiculous, poorly implement bull. My bin STINKS after 1 week (raw meat) but 2 weeks.. eek.

Also, my father-in-law is 83. He has to carry all of his trash to the end of the drive, he is confused by the "muddle" and has to bring his trash back to the house if he screws up just one bottle where it sits for another 2 weeks (total 4 weeks). It's not like there's just one recycle bin now. There are major rules NOT written in plain English!!!

*I* recycle in the USA but they sort it into the cart from my one container. How hard can it be in the UK to do this in the UK.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 7:49 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

[QUOTE=mandpete]

In England I used to put my papers out for recycling every other week and dropped off glass and plastic bottles in the appropriate coloured bins which were in the local Safeway car park.
QUOTE]

I hear you but my point is NOW, if you get any of it wrong your done for. Could you imagine putting cardboard in the paper bin by mistake and having someone dump it all back in your house. OK, this is an exaggeration but my point is, there's no room for error now, even for the old people.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=franc11s]
Originally Posted by mandpete

QUOTE]

I hear you but my point is NOW, if you get any of it wrong your done for. Could you imagine putting cardboard in the paper bin by mistake and having someone dump it all back in your house. OK, this is an exaggeration but my point is, there's no room for error now, even for the old people.
Not really "done for", are you?
Old Sep 25th 2006, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

We dared to put some garden waste in our trash here last week (just a small bag of weeds) and they refused to take any of out trash. And we pay them for the pleasure.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
just a small bag of weed
Yeah
Old Sep 25th 2006, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Yeah
I wouldnt have thrown that out.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, I can't see this happening.

The Bin men don't care, all they know is that the rubbish is going into the dumper, they don't care about that sort of stuff. It is annoying whole of my town got given 2 wheelie bins each though last week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.