British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   At a total loss! Please help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/total-loss-please-help-110943/)

Deborah Aug 25th 2002 10:11 pm

At a total loss! Please help!

My fiance and I need ALOT of help! I am a US citizen and he is a Canadian citizen, he wants to move here to work, I however can not file for a finace visa as I am still legally married and due to financial and safety reasons (it is an abusive relationship and I have a 6 year old daughter as well) I have not been able to push for a divorce, we were hoping to have him move down here before I went forward with it.

What do we need to do? Any and all advise would be so very appreciated as we do not even know what type of visa he would need and how to go about getting it, does he even need one to work here? We know he can travel into the US without a visa of any kind, but what about working here? Please help us figure all this out!

Deborah

Stuart Brook Aug 26th 2002 12:38 am

Re: At a total loss! Please help!

Deborah wrote:
    > My fiance and I need ALOT of help! I am a US citizen and he is a Canadian citizen,
    > he wants to move here to work, I however can not file for a finace visa as I am
    > still legally married and due to financial and safety reasons (it is an abusive
    > relationship and I have a 6 year old daughter as well) I have not been able to
    > push for a divorce, we were hoping to have him move down here before I went
    > forward with it.
    > What do we need to do? Any and all advise would be so very appreciated as we do not
    > even know what type of visa he would need and how to go about getting it, does he
    > even need one to work here? We know he can travel into the US without a visa of any
    > kind, but what about working here? Please help us figure all this out!
    > Deborah

The only way he can legally come to the US to work is if he is eligible for a work
visa such as an H1B or TN. In most cases to get a work visa, he would need to have a
degree and a job offer requiring that degree.

He can travel to the US without a visa ... correct, but I don't think that's what you
mean. He can travel to the US as a tourist, undocumented. He cannot travel to the US
as a tourist though, to visit you as his fiancee, because he would be presumed to be
an intended immigrant.

Stuart

Deborah Aug 26th 2002 1:44 pm

The only way he can legally come to the US to work is if he is eligible for a work
visa such as an H1B or TN. In most cases to get a work visa, he would need to have a
degree and a job offer requiring that degree.

He can travel to the US without a visa ... correct, but I don't think that's what you
mean. He can travel to the US as a tourist, undocumented. He cannot travel to the US
as a tourist though, to visit you as his fiancee, because he would be presumed to be
an intended immigrant.

Stuart
Well he would not be visiting as my fiance because as I said I am still legally married so he would be visiting friends, so he needs to travel undocumented I guess, ok understood.

Thank you,
Deborah

Stuart Brook Aug 26th 2002 7:36 pm

Deborah wrote:
    > >
    > > The only way he can legally come to the US to work is if he is eligible for a
    > > work visa such as an H1B or TN. In most cases to get a work visa, he would need
    > > to have a degree and a job offer requiring that degree.
    > >
    > > He can travel to the US without a visa ... correct, but I don't think that's what
    > > you mean. He can travel to the US as a tourist, undocumented. He cannot travel
    > > to the US as a tourist though, to visit you as his fiancee, because he would be
    > > presumed to be an intended immigrant.
    > >
    > > Stuart
    > >
    > Well he would not be visiting as my fiance because as I said I am still legally
    > married so he would be visiting friends, so he needs to travel undocumented I
    > guess, ok understood.

Make sure that he carries NOTHING with him that might suggest that he's anything but
a tourist. Some tourist info might be a good idea.

Deborah Aug 26th 2002 8:08 pm

Make sure that he carries NOTHING with him that might suggest that he's anything but
a tourist. Some tourist info might be a good idea.
:) Thank you for the advice, it will be well heeded.

Deborah