Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Total Chancer eyes US move: suggestions welcome.

Total Chancer eyes US move: suggestions welcome.

Old Jan 4th 2004, 2:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chancer

Originally posted by dunroving
A non-driver's license then? What a wacky idea! Does it say "the bearer of this license can't drive for sh*t"?
Surely that should be on most of the regular drivers licences?
Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Total Chancer eyes US move: suggestions welcome.

Originally posted by shazzzam!
Thanks for your time.
1. Any suggestions for a good bank?
2. I'll look into the B-2 though clearly I'll need a green card at some point.
3. If I own a property in Miami and it's my principal residence then surely for tax purposes I'm the resident. It says on the Miami-Dade government site that all you need to show in Florida is a licence and vehicle registration in your name and address to qualify for Homstead exception.
4. My licence will only be valid for the time on the I-94? You mean I can only drive on one road? Anyway, I thought it was the I-95 that goes to Miami.
5. Why not? Not ever?
6. Claro que si hombre, hablo espanol como todo el mundo. Y muchas gracias.
1. Suntrust, Wachovia, Bank of America all much the same
2. Without property, job, and ties to another country unlikely you will even get the B-2...Telling them you have a property in Miami will make them think you have Immigration intent and you will be refused...then you cannot even use the visa waiver.
3.It assumes you are an American resident of this State with a SSN
4. Look at http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/
5. Not without an immigrant visa... an exceptional ability visa would go to the likes of MICHELANGELO in art.. the BILL GATES of this world in Business...
You ain't gonna find this very easy at all.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

shazzzam! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ray6
You ain't gonna find this very easy at all.
Thanks again ray6. Of course, we both know that as a single man there's a trump card I can always play...
Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:16 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again ray6. Of course, we both know that as a single man there's a trump card I can always play...
And that's not all that straightforward either. Good luck though.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:16 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thats how most of us including myself got here...
Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Thats how most of us including myself got here...
See, that's the kind of inside-track information that I came to this site looking for...
Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:53 pm
Ray

See, that's the kind of inside-track information that I came to this site looking for...
Now I suppose you want to know the "Buy a Bride" and get a free coke and donut web site ..
Old Jan 4th 2004, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Now I suppose you want to know the "Buy a Bride" and get a free coke and donut web site ..
A free Coke? Are you kidding? I'm going for a minority bride so I can get me some serious positive discrimination action...
Old Jan 4th 2004, 4:58 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shazzzam!
Thanks for your time.
4. My licence will only be valid for the time on the I-94? You mean I can only drive on one road? Anyway, I thought it was the I-95 that goes to Miami.

LMAO! That's the visa waiver, not a road!

Sept 11th didn't 'change everything' at all. You have to have a valid reason to live in the US. It has been this way for many years. The UK is the same. We don't let any 'Johnny Foreigner' that fancies life in the UK come in (unless as an illegal but that's another story and exactly the same as the US).

As you already live in France and like the sun, have you considered the Cote d'Azur? If I could afford it I think I'd buy a home there. It's gorgeous!
Old Jan 4th 2004, 5:05 pm
Ray

Sorry Shazzam...Mrslondon has a poor sense of humour
for christ sake don't mention shooting squirrels or anything about her husband..she goes into a state of total Apoplexy..which of course to most of us is highly amusing...Have not enjoyed a run in with her for months now !!!!
Old Jan 4th 2004, 7:23 pm
Go RedSox!

Sorry Shazzam...Mrslondon has a poor sense of humour
for christ sake don't mention shooting squirrels or anything about her husband..she goes into a state of total Apoplexy..which of course to most of us is highly amusing...Have not enjoyed a run in with her for months now !!!!
So I get mad if 'someone' (ie ray6--no-one else said anything) says 'anything' about my husband (ie that he's ugly). Was that hilarious? I think not. Let's see how he likes it.
Ray6, your wife is an ugly dog. Not very nice is it? (Probably true too as he didn't dare post a picture of her like I did of my husband, who is probably far better looking than he could be even with plastic surgery).

It's funny to compare the people on americanexpats to the people on here. They are so friendly. Everyone who is a member of both forums seems to agree that lots of those on here are a total bitches (though that doesn't seem an appropriate term as most of the bitches are men).

Incidentally, my husband managed for 30 years with no driver's licence. It is perfectly possible, living in Boston which has good public transportation, as I'm sure do many other big cities.

Last edited by MrsLondon; Jan 4th 2004 at 7:26 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 10:18 pm
Ray

Originally posted by MrsLondon
So I get mad if 'someone' (ie ray6--no-one else said anything) says 'anything' about my husband (ie that he's ugly). Was that hilarious? I think not. Let's see how he likes it.
Ray6, your wife is an ugly dog. Not very nice is it? (Probably true too as he didn't dare post a picture of her like I did of my husband, who is probably far better looking than he could be even with plastic surgery).
Oh you have a short memory!! I was one of many who found your photo and statement ..highly ridiculous..but amusing..but you did take it down quick before more criticism arrived

My Wife found you statement so amusing that she went out and shot 4 squirrels for fun.. But it just made me laugh..But she does not really look like a dobermann but has the same temperament..

Oh you are just so easy to wind up...

Now is it true you had a birthday party for you rat???

Your web site keep me in stitches... A must read !!!
Old Jan 4th 2004, 11:03 pm
Go RedSox!

Oh you have a short memory!! I was one of many who found your photo and statement ..highly ridiculous..but amusing..but you did take it down quick before more criticism arrived

My Wife found you statement so amusing that she went out and shot 4 squirrels for fun.. But it just made me laugh..But she does not really look like a dobermann but has the same temperament..

Oh you are just so easy to wind up...

Now is it true you had a birthday party for you rat???

Your web site keep me in stitches... A must read !!!
You've just illustrated what I mean about the bitchiness in this website which you don't find on other forums. I could post a picture of my husband on americanexpats and would not get bitchy comments like yours.

So when are you going to post your picture so we can judge you like you judged my husband?

You've got the short memory as other people said my husband was OK or said nothing at all. If you can't say anything nice why say anything? I took the picture off because of twats like you with your nasty comments, not because I am ashamed of my husband. I think he is gorgeous. And actually I don't find anything remotely funny about saying someone's husband is ugly, though with your tiny brain that obviously passes as absolutely hilarious. Afterall you have to be really witty and clever to call someone ugly---not!
Old Jan 4th 2004, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Hi shazzzam!
It seems that we're in the same line of work. I'm also a full-time freelance writer who contributes to U.S. and U.K publications. I write in the tech-business area.
One point to consider: living in the U.S. full time will limit your access to U.K./Euro publications. Very few editors want to bother with a writer who lives on another continent--unless you're assigned a beat to cover a specific geographic area. On the other hand, moving here will make it easier for you to target U.S. publications.
Best of luck on your plans.

www.john-edwards.com
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up

Originally posted by edwords One point to consider: living in the U.S. full time will limit your access to U.K./Euro publications.
Thanks John, I've already considered that and believe it's the least of my problems. I think that I should be able to get enough work. My real issue is acquiring legal resident status within a relatively short time, because I'm committed now to selling up and moving to the US, and once my flat is sold here I don't really want to hold onto the money too long or I'll get taxed on it. At the same time, there's no point in buying a property in Miami if I can't live in it!

By the way, do you [or anyone else] happen to know if it's true, what I keep hearing, that there's no income tax in Florida? Can that be possible? How does that work?

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.