British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Torture Devices (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/torture-devices-240785/)

snorkmaiden Jul 7th 2004 6:05 pm

Torture Devices

My garage got done over for the second time last night. They must have been disturbed as they only got my strimmer and a couple of little things.

I'm thinking the little darlings may come back for the bikes and my lawn mower soon and I'd like to have something nice waiting for them :D Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I'm just renting this house so I don't want to spend a fortune but my dad mentioned some alarm systems you can get just for your garage, does anyone use any particular garage alarm they could recommend before I go shopping for one this evening?

Cheers gang.

Rockgurl Jul 7th 2004 6:07 pm

How about wiring the garage door handle up to the mains? :D

Lothianlad Jul 7th 2004 6:12 pm

Re: Torture Devices

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
My garage got done over for the second time last night. They must have been disturbed as they only got my strimmer and a couple of little things.

I'm thinking the little darlings may come back for the bikes and my lawn mower soon and I'd like to have something nice waiting for them :D Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I'm just renting this house so I don't want to spend a fortune but my dad mentioned some alarm systems you can get just for your garage, does anyone use any particular garage alarm they could recommend before I go shopping for one this evening?

Cheers gang.
A couple of black mambas

James Box Jul 7th 2004 6:26 pm

Originally posted by Rockgurl
How about wiring the garage door handle up to the mains? :D
Make sure you use good ol' 220V. This 110V nonsense is for pansies :D

On a related note, has anyone wired up a few sockets for 220V to use British electronics? Would be cool to use a British 3-pin socket for it :) I've thought about it for our toaster and kettle that we brought over, but have only just bought a house so not done anything about it yet.

andy kerry Jul 7th 2004 6:27 pm

Cheers gang.
i do believe my ex wife could be just the thing she scared the hell out of me :scared:

Manc Jul 7th 2004 6:30 pm

Originally posted by James Box
I've thought about it for our toaster and kettle that we brought over,
:confused:

are electronics like toasters and kettles in short supply here or something?

maybe it's just our Walmart and Kmart and Target that has an abundance of them..............

doctor scrumpy Jul 7th 2004 6:30 pm

I always thought the worst torture device a man could suffer was that gold ring on the 4th finger ? Opens you to the horrors of in-laws !!!!

James Box Jul 7th 2004 6:40 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
:confused:

are electronics like toasters and kettles in short supply here or something?

maybe it's just our Walmart and Kmart and Target that has an abundance of them..............
Decent ones? Yes. Although T(e)Fal do sell our toaster here now (expensively).

Virtually everyone I know here still uses a stove top kettle for boiling water. Electrical ones aren't popular and you certainly won't find our clear-glass one here.

Walmart.com: 3 matches for "electric kettle" :eek:

snorkmaiden Jul 7th 2004 6:46 pm

Originally posted by andy kerry
i do believe my ex wife could be just the thing she scared the hell out of me :scared:
How do you think she would feel about living in our garage? :D

Maggs Jul 7th 2004 6:47 pm

Hi

I had to leave my clear glass kettle behind too .... I miss it a lot! My son brought a step up transformer with him for his CD player and his guitar and amplifier. It works really well. The tranformer cost us 79 GBP. The company doesn't import to the US so my son brought it will him in his luggage but they will deliver to any address in the UK.

Maggie.

effi Jul 7th 2004 6:48 pm

Cheers gang.
Don't you have a lock on the inside of your garage door? We have a bolt thingy that slides into the door casing. Also, do you have an electronic door opener, if so unplug it overnite. My neighbour got his very expensive golf clubs taken a couple of weeks back. Mind you he leaves his garage door open all day long, sort of an invitation to opportunists, but he got a new set on his household insurance. He still leaves his door open, I wonder how many sets he will lose before the insurance Co tells him to stick his claim up his ass.

James Box Jul 7th 2004 6:50 pm

Originally posted by Maggs
I had to leave my clear glass kettle behind too .... I miss it a lot!
We brought it over and bought a transformer from a US company for about $100. Works great. :cool:

snorkmaiden Jul 7th 2004 7:43 pm

Originally posted by effi
Don't you have a lock on the inside of your garage door? We have a bolt thingy that slides into the door casing. Also, do you have an electronic door opener, if so unplug it overnite. My neighbour got his very expensive golf clubs taken a couple of weeks back. Mind you he leaves his garage door open all day long, sort of an invitation to opportunists, but he got a new set on his household insurance. He still leaves his door open, I wonder how many sets he will lose before the insurance Co tells him to stick his claim up his ass.
We do have a lock - which stupidly we forgot to use last night, just the electric door opener. However, the first time the garage was broken into they broke the lock (it's a bolt one like the one you mentioned). They can grab your door codes now and use their own garage door opener and they've also been using some method involving a wire coathanger according to the local news a while ago.

Our estate has been getting hit quite a bit lately. I'm going to try and get some kind of motion sensor alarm in tonight.

Manc Jul 7th 2004 7:58 pm

Originally posted by James Box
We brought it over and bought a transformer from a US company for about $100. Works great. :cool:
you spent $100 in order to boil water?
bloody hell.

James Box Jul 7th 2004 8:11 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
you spent $100 in order to boil water?
bloody hell.
lol.. umm. Actually I think it was $100 total for the 3 transformers that we got including the shipping for the heavy things. We got them for the kettle, toaster, amplifier/receiver, network switch and scanner.

Cheaper than the cost of replacing all of them and in the case of the kettle, couldn't be replaced. :p