Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Top Ten Reasons For Being American

Top Ten Reasons For Being American

Old Aug 19th 2003, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Top Ten Reasons For Being American

1. You can have a woman president without electing her

2. You can spell colour wrong and get away with it

3. You can call Budweiser beer

4. You can be a crook and still be president

5. If you've got enough money you can get elected to do anything

6. If you can breathe you can get a gun

7. You can invent a new public holiday every year

8. You can play golf in the most hideous clothes ever made and nobody seems to care

9. You get to call everyone you've never met "buddy"

10. You can think you're the greatest nation on earth when you're not at all

Feel free to add your own
Old Aug 19th 2003, 8:22 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

1. On July the 4Th you can wave around the stars and stripes, and go "Oooh n Aaaarh" at the fireworks but no bugger has a clue what they are celebrating
Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

alabama_bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Yosser
1. On July the 4Th you can wave around the stars and stripes, and go "Oooh n Aaaarh" at the fireworks but no bugger has a clue what they are celebrating

I once was walking with my wife on the 4th July in her home town and as we watched the fireworks etc I could hear the national anthem playing.

I (in a slight drunken state) turned round and asked my wife in a slighty louder than usual voice...." why dont americans sing to their national anthem...if this was England everyone would be singing along"

Then I suddenly remembered what the 4th July is all about, Cringed and ducked into the nearest bar to hide.

:PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY:
Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yosser
..... but no bugger has a clue what they are celebrating.
I can confirm that - I was onced asked by an American if people celebrated the 4th of July in Britain!!!
Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
I can confirm that - I was onced asked by an American if people celebrated the 4th of July in Britain!!!
LMAO! I know us Brits love a good loser, but this might be pushing it a bit far.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:31 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

We kind of do now. My wife and i got an invite to the US Consuls party here and had a good time, well i got drunk and harrassed the chief constable, so that was fun!

regards,

Duncan
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I always answer "yes we were glad to get rid of you" hehe. We sometimes have a 4th of July party- any excuse to party LOL and we always stipulate NO dumping of tea in the pool and we promise not to have redcoats in the bushes The first year half the people wondered why we said NO tea dumping....
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:51 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default 5 more reasons for being glad to be American

You can call your national champion sports teams "World Champions"

You can organize a barbecue and be almost sure it won't rain

You can feel normal to be proud of your country

You can figure out where you are in a strange city (streets are numbered)

You can drive a lawn mower with more power than the average UK family car
Old Aug 19th 2003, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

... more on the 4th of July .... they think they invented the red, white and blue

tsh tsh

Jan
Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:37 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default More.....

Originally posted by jan_michigan
... more on the 4th of July .... they think they invented the red, white and blue

tsh tsh

Jan
You can never take the trouble to attempt to learn any language other than English, but then get annoyed when you travel to another country and can't find anyone who speaks English. (Added bonus - You can also get annoyed if new immigrants don't learn English right away.)
Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:47 am
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

I always enjoy 4th of July parties, and have done for many years.

It is important though at these events to remind them, politely but firmly, that if it wasn't for the French, they would all be speaking English now.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 12:50 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stumpyguy
I always enjoy 4th of July parties, and have done for many years.

It is important though at these events to remind them, politely but firmly, that if it wasn't for the French, they would all be speaking English now.
Like it.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 1:24 am
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Top ten reasons for being American....

When a brit asks you a question, it takes you 10 times longer than necessary to explain the answer. Followed by about 3 examples of what you mean :-)

Please note: After 30 seconds WE HAVE GOT IT!
Old Aug 20th 2003, 1:44 am
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

You can exist, like 70% of Americans do, without ever leaving the country, ever experiencing another culture, and happily believe with total confidence that any way that is not the American way is wrong.

Not different, just wrong!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.