Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Top relocation tips

Top relocation tips

Old Nov 28th 2016, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top relocation tips

Originally Posted by Chesten
Moving to Knoxville area.

"Gov sponsored" might well be the wrong phrase. The project is for a gov agency but I'm not sure of the specifics ie whether working for the agency direct or having close links. It's a phrase we've adopted rather than used by the employer. I don't know about whether it's exempt from the cap or not but suspect it is as the work is in the research field.

One thing that's been holding up the visa application is we mislaid the masters degree certificate and have been waiting on a replacement now promised imminently. We'll be in touch with HR when that's received and I'll try any establish other facts at the same time.
You will probably like that part of Tennessee. Knoxville is a college town, smaller and lower cost of living than Nashville or Memphis. Also a beautiful part of the state.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to Knoxville area. ....
Originally Posted by ddsrph
You will probably like that part of Tennessee. Knoxville is a college town, smaller ..... Also a beautiful part of the state.
Agreed, that is where my in-laws lived for a couple of years. It's a very nice area.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed, that is where my in-laws lived for a couple of years. It's a very nice area.
Thanks both; heartening to hear!
Old Nov 28th 2016, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Forget about bringing all your appliances and using adapters or transformers unless whatever you are bringing is already designed to work on 110/120v at 60Hz.

Plan on selling TVs, game consoles, kitchen stuff, and other items. Just get what you can for them and buy them again when you get to the US.

Most computers are ok, laptops usually have a dual-voltage power brick, but check your tower/desktop computers have the switch on the PSU to flip from 230v to 115v. If not, you can either replace the power supply for one that works with 115v or again, sell the computer and buy new here.

It's much less hassle and you don't have huge transformers etc all over the house. It's just not worth it.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

"Gov sponsored" might well be the wrong phrase. The project is for a gov agency but I'm not sure of the specifics ie whether working for the agency direct or having close links. It's a phrase we've adopted rather than used by the employer. I don't know about whether it's exempt from the cap or not but suspect it is as the work is in the research field.

One thing that's been holding up the visa application is we mislaid the masters degree certificate and have been waiting on a replacement now promised imminently. We'll be in touch with HR when that's received and I'll try any establish other facts at the same time.
Sounds like it could be a job at Oak Ridge National Labs. If that is the case visa problems can easily disappear.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like it could be a job at Oak Ridge National Labs. If that is the case visa problems can easily disappear.
Yes it is, and hope that's right about the visa.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Forget about bringing all your appliances and using adapters or transformers unless whatever you are bringing is already designed to work on 110/120v at 60Hz.

Plan on selling TVs, game consoles, kitchen stuff, and other items. Just get what you can for them and buy them again when you get to the US.

Most computers are ok, laptops usually have a dual-voltage power brick, but check your tower/desktop computers have the switch on the PSU to flip from 230v to 115v. If not, you can either replace the power supply for one that works with 115v or again, sell the computer and buy new here.

It's much less hassle and you don't have huge transformers etc all over the house. It's just not worth it.
Thanks for electrical tips
Old Nov 29th 2016, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Modern games consoles are more PC-like and have PSUs that can accommodate the different voltages. (pretty much anything with a switched-mode PSU can cope)
Old Nov 29th 2016, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ubernathan
Modern games consoles are more PC-like and have PSUs that can accommodate the different voltages. (pretty much anything with a switched-mode PSU can cope)
Although worth checking if the games console is region locked. It would be a PITA to always import European versions.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes it is, and hope that's right about the visa.
That would be in my opinion an ideal situation. His salary will be way above the median salary for the area and that part of Tenn has a cost of living almost 20% below the national average. Depending on preference you can have your choice of large city, small town or rural setting with 5 or more acres. The median home price in Oak Ridge is about $125k.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That would be in my opinion an ideal situation. His salary will be way above the median salary for the area and that part of Tenn has a cost of living almost 20% below the national average. Depending on preference you can have your choice of large city, small town or rural setting with 5 or more acres. The median home price in Oak Ridge is about $125k.
A lower cost home in a rural setting might take more adjusting. On one hand you might find that your neighbours include a bewildering range of wildlife, certainly including deer, coyotes and perhaps turkeys, and maybe including bears. Smaller animals will include groundhogs, snakes, tortoises (Americans call them turtles, though in fairness some are turtles (snapping turtles are vicious and can remove a finger!), and some are non-aquatic turtles), maybe chipmunks, and birds including woodpeckers, sapsuckers, tree creepers, and hawks, buzzard, vultures, and maybe even eagles.

Your human neighbours will include people who hunt, and who spend much of their time when not hunting practicing their marksmanship - in other words, expect to hear gunfire frequently.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 29th 2016 at 9:57 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

A lower cost home in a rural setting might take more adjusting. On one hand you might find that your neighbours include a bewildering range of wildlife, certainly including deer, coyotes and perhaps turkeys, and maybe including bears. Smaller animals will include groundhogs, snakes, tortoises (Americans call them turtles, though in fairness some are turtles (snapping turtles are vicious and can remove a finger!), and some are non-aquatic turtles), maybe chipmunks, and birds including woodpeckers, sapsuckers, tree creepers, and hawks, buzzard, vultures, and maybe even eagles.
Your human neighbours will include people who hunt, and who spend much of their time when not hunting practicing their marksmanship - in other words, expect to hear gunfire frequently.
That sounds a lot like my area. No bears but a friend of mine recently photographed a large mountain lion like cat on his remote wild life camera.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Wow; that would be a complete change and shock to the system on every front! On occasion I think I'd like rural living but maybe I'll leave it for the odd holiday and stay closer to town for now. I suspect we'll end up in the burbs initially.

At some point there will be a house hunting trip and checking out localities will be fun.

What about the lack of US credit history? How does one get round that and will it be an issue with finding a home to rent (we intend to rent out our UK home and rent in USA initially; if we got a green card then plans would likely change)
Old Nov 30th 2016, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Is not the employer via HR supplying relocation assistance as part of the job offer package?
this would be most helpful to you. There are various types, from initial short term accommodation, assistance in looking for the permanent home, furniture shipping costs, medical insurance, children schooling, orientation ... etc...

Employers often supply relocation assistance as they do not want to lose the employee due to family unhappiness and stress settling in. It costs them too much for it to go wrong.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by angie_329
Is not the employer via HR supplying relocation assistance as part of the job offer package?
this would be most helpful to you. There are various types, from initial short term accommodation, assistance in looking for the permanent home, furniture shipping costs, medical insurance, children schooling, orientation ... etc...

Employers often supply relocation assistance as they do not want to lose the employee due to family unhappiness and stress settling in. It costs them too much for it to go wrong.
Yes there is a relocation package - you are quite right - although the finer points I think are communicated once the visa is granted eg being connected to shipping agent etc; the house hunting trip also contingent on visa - which I understand.

But I am still interested to hear from others who have done it about the experience of relocating - partly to help me prepare mentally/ emotionally but also looking for practical tips.

I'm a sucker for detail! Im suddenly wondering about credit ratings, utility companies, broadband, nursery provision, you name it - but maybe should wait til visa granted and start dates are agreed! I think the initial advice about not counting chickens was pretty fair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.