Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Top Government Scientist Quits

Top Government Scientist Quits

Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Top Government Scientist Quits

"Nearly five years after President Bush announced his restrictive embryonic stem-cell policy, the field is still feeling the fallout. The leader of the stem-cell unit at the National Institute on Aging, part of the National Institutes of Health, announced today he will leave the NIH to join the private sector at a biotech company called Invitrogen in Carlsbad, California.

Rao says the president's executive order that embryonic stem-cell lines created after Aug. 9, 2001 are not eligible for federal funding, is the reason behind his decision to leave the government agency. But he's excited about embryonic stem-cell science, young scientists' hesitation to enter the field and the danger of hyping stem-cell research in this Q&A with Wired News...."

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...l?tw=rss.index

So how do you lot feel about government funding and the like over here?
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:18 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top Government Scientist Quits

Originally Posted by Bob
Slow day mate ???

I'm embarassed to admit that since moving here pretty much my sole news source is bbc.co.uk and occasional news shows streamed from home.
I never liked CNN that much or any other american news for that matter and BBC World news is never on at a good time for me.

So to answer your question I have no opinion as I know very little on the subject.

Last edited by BigDavyG; Apr 10th 2006 at 5:25 pm. Reason: typos
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you can crack open the federal piggy bank, life is certainly good.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Slow day mate ???

I'm embarassed to admit that since moving here pretty much my sole news source is bbc.co.uk and occasional news shows streamed from home.
I never liked CNN that much or any other american news for that matter and BBC World news is never on at a good time for me.

So to answer your question I have no opinion as I know very little on the subject.
Your lucky when we first came here the internet was just catching on. Before 9/11 the news centred solely around the US and Israel, it was as if nowhere else existed.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

This impacts us directly as my husband is a scientist. There are more restrictions on materials used and he has to get around this by getting some work still done in the UK. Central funding for scientific research has also been cut drastically because of the war - unfortunate timing in terms of his move.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:40 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Your lucky when we first came here the internet was just catching on. Before 9/11 the news centred solely around the US and Israel, it was as if nowhere else existed.
Speaking of the bbc, i thought this was funny...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/4895690.stm
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

Do you remember the Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin?
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
, it was as if nowhere else existed.
hmm i still get that feeling ..i often get asked here about how i feel growing up on an island..and as small as the uk is compared to this place i always have 'easy' access to world events when in the uk....here the news revolves around texas, texas and oh yes the rest of the usa....iraq and that's it unless i tape the world news and then it's so biased so like davy i tend to favour bbc on line for my news
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:47 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Yep, but only vaguely
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

Yep, but only vaguely
the boss used to make people sit on farty chairs to humiliate them
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:49 pm
Thinking about it

the boss used to make people sit on farty chairs to humiliate them
All the chairs in my office seem to make farty noises when i sit on them

Last edited by BigDavyG; Apr 10th 2006 at 5:52 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I read that a short while ago, haha.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes I do.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Slow day mate ???

hehe...aye, bit slow, got some pics I'm meant to sort out and tidy up for someone...hmmm...

and news, well I trawl through a few random sites for techy stuff as well
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you can crack open the federal piggy bank, life is certainly good.
Aye, that's true

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.