Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Top five foods you miss from the UK

Top five foods you miss from the UK

Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top five foods you miss from the UK

1. Agree with nethead, clotted cream with the crust on top
2. Plain unsweetened bread of any kind
3. Pickled onions
4. Cream crackers
5. Tasty crisps
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:45 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

• Proper chips
  • Proper (British) curries
  • (Nice) Cask-conditioned beer
  • Fish finger sandwiches
  • Veggie pasties

Things I don't miss as I drag a caseful back with me every time I go:
  • Branston beans
  • Pot Noodles (C&M and Bombay Bad Boy)
  • Cadbury's chocolate
  • Bisto (onion gravy and chip shop curry sauce)
  • Smash
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

1. Proper bacon
2. Sausages (pork and beef)
3. Bread that doesn't taste weird
4. Curry
5. Decent chips

Five isn't enough. Not even close, I haven't even got to decent mature Cheddar, Red Leicester, smoked cheese, not to mention the chocolate, sweets and crisps, Ribena, Lucozade and Quosh, Mr Kipling, Dairylea triangles, anything from the M&S food section, blackcurrant flavour, pavlova ....

This thread made me sad, and hungry
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Proper chip shop chips
2. Decent bacon and sausages
3. Indian curries
4. Donner kebabs
5. Chicken supper from the chippie

I have tried to substitute a lot of the above for stuff over here and cook a lot more than I ever would have done back home, but it's not the same and can't wait for our visit at Christmas to stuff ourselves silly...... and a couple of extra suitcases on the way back to stock up on all the lovelies, cadburys, bisto, ham stock cubes, galaxy choc etc...... Oh, I'm away for a wee lie down in a dark room, soooooo hungry now
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:24 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
1. Proper chip shop chips
2. Decent bacon and sausages
3. Indian curries
4. Donner kebabs
5. Chicken supper from the chippie

I have tried to substitute a lot of the above for stuff over here and cook a lot more than I ever would have done back home, but it's not the same and can't wait for our visit at Christmas to stuff ourselves silly...... and a couple of extra suitcases on the way back to stock up on all the lovelies, cadburys, bisto, ham stock cubes, galaxy choc etc...... Oh, I'm away for a wee lie down in a dark room, soooooo hungry now
Bring us back a Munchy Box, would you?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Oooooo a munchy box, my daughter was just talking about that last night, I am going to have to go on a serious detox when we come back after New Year, but can't bloody wait.......
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:33 pm
I have a comma problem

Oooooo a munchy box, my daughter was just talking about that last night, I am going to have to go on a serious detox when we come back after New Year, but can't bloody wait.......
Ah don't worry about the after-effects, just go mental and enjoy it.

As soon as we get a chance to go back home, I'm right off to the chippy for some battered sausage and gravy chips. Maybe pick up a curry fried rice in the Chinese on the way, too.

That, and you can guarantee my ma will have emptyed the shelves in the M&S frozen dessert section for us too. Nom nom nom ...
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah don't worry about the after-effects, just go mental and enjoy it.

As soon as we get a chance to go back home, I'm right off to the chippy for some battered sausage and gravy chips. Maybe pick up a curry fried rice in the Chinese on the way, too.

That, and you can guarantee my ma will have emptyed the shelves in the M&S frozen dessert section for us too. Nom nom nom ...
I am amazed at how much I miss the simple things that we took for granted, and they are 99% food or food related Don't know if I'll be as excited to see Glasgow again, especially in the dead of Winter
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:24 pm
I have a comma problem

I am amazed at how much I miss the simple things that we took for granted, and they are 99% food or food related Don't know if I'll be as excited to see Glasgow again, especially in the dead of Winter
Aye you will. Cities always look their best in winter anyway IMO.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:48 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

The Munchy Box. Excellent.

Here's a link I've posted before...

http://blog.23x.net/5/what-is-a-munchy-box.html

Edit: as a non-meat eater I'd never had one, but I'm sure as hell glad that they exist...
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Peter525839 will become famous soon enoughPeter525839 will become famous soon enough

Wow agree with so many of those but I'll add a few new ones

Christmas pudding with custard
Mincepies
Lambs liver and onions
Branston Pickle
Digestive biscuits plain or chocoalte

A word of caution about what you bring back through customs. They can be very strict and almost any food can be confiscated and fines imposed. They tend to turn a blind eye to chocs and biccies but spices / sauces etc are easily detectable. I read a case recently where an Asian couple were heavily fined for curry spices etc.
If in doubt check before you leave
Old Oct 19th 2011, 5:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

• Tesco Finest Roquefort And Caramelised Onion Tart
  • Marks and Spencer Ox Tongue
  • Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Sherry Trifle (880g)
  • Mr. Kipling Viennese Whirls 6 Pack
  • Marks and Spencer Rare Roast Beef and Horseradish Sandwich
Old Oct 19th 2011, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

WVDreamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
The Munchy Box. Excellent.

Here's a link I've posted before...

http://blog.23x.net/5/what-is-a-munchy-box.html

Edit: as a non-meat eater I'd never had one, but I'm sure as hell glad that they exist...
Fairplay to the Scots, they really do set the bar high for unhealthy junk food

Looks awesome though, i'd totally devour it!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 5:53 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
  • Tesco Finest Roquefort And Caramelised Onion Tart
  • Marks and Spencer Ox Tongue
  • Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Sherry Trifle (880g)
  • Mr. Kipling Viennese Whirls 6 Pack
  • Marks and Spencer Rare Roast Beef and Horseradish Sandwich
Someone always has to take it out of the chippy and make it middle-brow.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Someone always has to take it out of the chippy and make it middle-brow.
Robin's a better class of ExPat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.