Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Top five foods you miss from the UK

Top five foods you miss from the UK

Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:32 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top five foods you miss from the UK

Originally Posted by keaki80
Here's my thoughts, but 5 is not enough...
1. Christmas Pudding/Yule Log/Choc mini rolls.. (well, they're all to do with Christmas!)
2. Tunnock tea cakes.
3. Quavers
4. Bread.. real bread.
5. Good old English cheddar.

There are a lot of others, some I can buy here at a ridiculous price, others I get family to bring over... and the 3 of the above 5, you can't bring back, unfortunately.
I'm happy with the cheese over here .. in New York & Vermont we have some very good quality cheeses from small producers. And some of the standard, mass-produced mid-priced New York cheddar is every bit as good as UK supermarket cheddar, in my opinion.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You could bring all those items back from the UK.
I tried the Quavers but they got squished to hell. The Tunnocks again squished, but still lovely - and bread and cheese.. Hmmm? Don't think the bread would taste that fantastic considering times - and how worth it that would be.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I tried the Quavers but they got squished to hell. The Tunnocks again squished, but still lovely - and bread and cheese.. Hmmm? Don't think the bread would taste that fantastic considering times - and how worth it that would be.
You could bring all that back in your handluggage. Put it in a sturdy bag so it doesn't get squashed. As for cheese I have brought 12 packs of Cheshire Cheese back at a time. Had fun going through security at Manchester Airport with it...they must have thought it was semtex. Took about 20 mins before they OK'd it. I think they are used to me now...they must think...here's that daft bint again...just let her through.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You could bring all that back in your handluggage. Put it in a sturdy bag so it doesn't get squashed. As for cheese I have brought 12 packs of Cheshire Cheese back at a time. Had fun going through security at Manchester Airport with it...they must have thought it was semtex. Took about 20 mins before they OK'd it. I think they are used to me now...they must think...here's that daft bint again...just let her through.
I agree (not about you being a daft bint!) I have a hard top carryon and last time I bought back 36 packets of Walkers Cheese and Onion crisps, 3 battenbergs and 3lb of stilton with apricots. Nothing else in the case just food!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:32 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
I agree (not about you being a daft bint!) I have a hard top carryon and last time I bought back 36 packets of Walkers Cheese and Onion crisps, 3 battenbergs and 3lb of stilton with apricots. Nothing else in the case just food!
I would kill for a battenberg.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 1:12 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I tried the Quavers but they got squished to hell. The Tunnocks again squished, but still lovely
You could snort them...
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:43 am
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

The top 5 foods that I miss from the UK are.
1. really good and real British fish and chips
2. British Sausage
3. Sausage rolls
4. Pork pie.
5. British sweets and chocolate.
Theres so much more that I miss but I will stop here as I do not whant to bore anyone with a lot more.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by KetteringEnglandRocks2005
The top 5 foods that I miss from the UK are.
1. really good and real British fish and chips
2. British Sausage
3. Sausage rolls
4. Pork pie.
5. British sweets and chocolate.
Theres so much more that I miss but I will stop here as I do not whant to bore anyone with a lot more.
Go ahead, folks here are not easily bored. Especially when they're at work.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

KrisL1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in England a few weeks ago visiting family and friends. I missed Yorkshire puddings as I tried to make them here in a muffin tin but did not come out the same so bought the real yorkie tins back with me, lots of battenburg cakes, ginger cake freshly made nothing better than that.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

We brought back Tunnocks tea cakes, flat as pancakes when arriving back to Houston. Still, they were fresher than those in World Market.

As for curry in Aberdeen, our fave is Ammu's, up a bit the hill from Sainsbury's past Robert Gordon. They have a dish called Devil's Chicken and its awesome. Service is crap but the food is the best. We do take out more than anything.

Our second choice is Cinnamon, in Aberdeen. Ammu's is less cost, but we choose that as its closer to home south of Aberdeen. Cinnamon is spot on too!
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Freya_89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Must say the temptation got me, I LOVE galaxy and ordered some from a British store online! kept me happy for a while
Old Nov 7th 2011, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Damagya will become famous soon enough

1. Proper Bacon
2. Chicken and Shish Kebab
3. Sausages
4. Greggs (almost everything)
5. Chicken Passanda
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

WVDreamer is an unknown quantity at this point

wow this thread has really taken off

Anyway, the wife has asked me for my Christmas chocolate list, so I was wondering if anyone know's the best online site to order british chocolate from along with of course black pudding.

We have used food ireland before but I was wondering if there are any decent alternatives. I was amazed just now by some of the prices quoted for british chocolate on Amazon just now sheesh.

EDIT: OK I just found Black Pudding in a tin, has anyone tried that?

Last edited by WVDreamer; Nov 8th 2011 at 12:30 am.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WVDreamer
wow this thread has really taken off

Anyway, the wife has asked me for my Christmas chocolate list, so I was wondering if anyone know's the best online site to order british chocolate from along with of course black pudding.

We have used food ireland before but I was wondering if there are any decent alternatives. I was amazed just now by some of the prices quoted for british chocolate on Amazon just now sheesh.

EDIT: OK I just found Black Pudding in a tin, has anyone tried that?
http://www.britishdelights.com/ I've used them in the past when I lived up in Maine, postage was cheap...no idea if you're out of the new England area though. Weren't to bad.

http://www.britishsupplies.com/ No idea about postage but a mate gets his bacon from there often enough and it's pretty good, though he's often down in the area anyway.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I would kill for a battenberg.
There is a British foods warehouse near here which every so often selsl off past-the-date foods. They had some Battenburg in there last time but an American customer was very perplexed. When told that it was covered in marzipan, he shouted out, "Is it cheese?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.