Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Top five foods you miss from the UK

Top five foods you miss from the UK

Old Oct 20th 2011, 3:24 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top five foods you miss from the UK

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Nothing annoys me - look up "tolerance" in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of yours truly.
I bet you almost kept a straight face when you typed that
Old Oct 20th 2011, 6:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
1. Prawns - Gulf Coast Shrimp knock 'em out the water
Naaa...best shrimp is the cold water stuff from Maine, really is lovely stuff
Old Oct 20th 2011, 7:34 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Naaa...best shrimp is the cold water stuff from Maine, really is lovely stuff
I will give you props for your lovely seafood, my friend lives in Dieppe, New Brunswick and she is always sending photos of her at the lobster market. She has eaten so much lobster she is sick of it now.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 7:44 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely proper ham. Just cooked a honey roast ham and it's nice, but the ham just isn't right. Even the whole ones. They seem to add more water and the cure isn't quite right. Don't get me wrong, I just had to invent linner (the meal between lunch and dinner) so I could enjoy a ham sandwich, but it's not quite as good.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:33 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

How can we keep it to just 5, I'll have to generalize

1) Curry
2) Pork Products, sausage, pork pie, sausage rolls, pork that crackles, bacon
3) Crispy duck from the chinese
4) Deli's with nice sliced meat that isn't pumped full of water, pate, pasta salads that aren't suffed with sugar
5) Good bread, especially granary
Old Oct 21st 2011, 11:38 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

1. Bacon
2. Bacon
3. Bacon
4. Bacon
5. Smokey Bacon Crisps
Old Oct 21st 2011, 5:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the top 5, right now, but some shit stuff I do miss

-Cup-a-Soups....plenty of decent ones, the stuff here I find way to salty so gave up...was a nice evening snack on a chilly night and there's only so much room for canned soup

-Beechams Flu...It's minging, but quite comforting when you're feeling minging.

-KP peanuts, from the pub at 20p or whatever....don't seem to find those mini sized snack packs out in the pub type places over here.

-Cinema popcorn, able to mix the sweet and the salt, rather than just salt or bags of kettle over here.

-Yoghurt cups of trifle from M&S
Old Oct 21st 2011, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
I am amazed at how much I miss the simple things that we took for granted, and they are 99% food or food related Don't know if I'll be as excited to see Glasgow again, especially in the dead of Winter
OH you will be happy indeed. We were dancing in the Scottish mist and rain when we landed in Aberdeen.

Then went straight to our favoured Indian, ate to the gills, then down to the ale taps in Stonehaven.

Just so happy to be back.

Gained weight in Scotland, add that to our 25+ lbs gained in Houston (steaks and large portions take a toll.)

Returned with large quantities of Tunnocks and Galaxy chocs, in all persuasions.

What we missed (and brought back!)
1. Galaxy, all kinds.
2. Tunnocks (the ones in World Market are stale export type)
3. Bisto (onion)
4. Fruit Rennies (okay, not food)
5. Didn't miss but picked up and its pretty good - HP sauce with Guinness. Great marinade.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 6:46 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
?...off to google....
Ah, a Scottish Bimbo

edit: I would have said the Scottish Sayers or even Grggs, at one time, but I had to just google those names too.
I find it odd that the bakers business name I first think of is Mexican.

Last edited by kimilseung; Oct 21st 2011 at 6:50 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:21 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
OH you will be happy indeed. We were dancing in the Scottish mist and rain when we landed in Aberdeen.

Then went straight to our favoured Indian, ate to the gills, then down to the ale taps in Stonehaven.

Just so happy to be back.

Gained weight in Scotland, add that to our 25+ lbs gained in Houston (steaks and large portions take a toll.)

Returned with large quantities of Tunnocks and Galaxy chocs, in all persuasions.

What we missed (and brought back!)
1. Galaxy, all kinds.
3. Bisto (onion)
4. Fruit Rennies (okay, not food)
5. Didn't miss but picked up and its pretty good - HP sauce with Guinness. Great marinade.
Aww you were in Stoney - I'll be there in a month! Now back to more important matters, which indian and what did you have...TELL ME!!!
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 6:25 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WVDreamer
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...xy_ripple1.jpg

Like a flake but better.

I have tried making my own pastys but I just can't seem to replicate the greggs style ones, mine are more traditional cornish pastys.
I just finished eating a Galaxy Ripple, very yummy it was too!!
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice

Originally Posted by N1cky
How can we keep it to just 5, I'll have to generalize

1) Curry
2) Pork Products, sausage, pork pie, sausage rolls, pork that crackles, bacon
3) Crispy duck from the chinese
4) Deli's with nice sliced meat that isn't pumped full of water, pate, pasta salads that aren't suffed with sugar
5) Good bread, especially granary
I really miss granary bread and pork joints with the skin on, but we have struck lucky and found a great curry place just outside Detroit (Hamtramck actually). It's too far away for a takeaway, so whenever we go we order meals to bring home.

I miss toasted teacakes personally, but what I miss most of all is that the supermarkets here just aren't up to UK standards if you want to just chuck a ready meal or pie in the oven once in a while.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 8:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Fresh cream cakes.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Here's my thoughts, but 5 is not enough...
1. Christmas Pudding/Yule Log/Choc mini rolls.. (well, they're all to do with Christmas!)
2. Tunnock tea cakes.
3. Quavers
4. Bread.. real bread.
5. Good old English cheddar.

There are a lot of others, some I can buy here at a ridiculous price, others I get family to bring over... and the 3 of the above 5, you can't bring back, unfortunately.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keaki80
Here's my thoughts, but 5 is not enough...
1. Christmas Pudding/Yule Log/Choc mini rolls.. (well, they're all to do with Christmas!)
2. Tunnock tea cakes.
3. Quavers
4. Bread.. real bread.
5. Good old English cheddar.

There are a lot of others, some I can buy here at a ridiculous price, others I get family to bring over... and the 3 of the above 5, you can't bring back, unfortunately.
You could bring all those items back from the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.