Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Top 10 reasons for being French

Top 10 reasons for being French

Old Aug 21st 2003, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold
Default Top 10 reasons for being French

1 You get to piss the Yanks off

2 A reputation for being great lovers

3 Smelling of Garlic counts as aftershave

4 Such a wonderful cuisine, snails, frog legs & veal etc.

5 You can grow hair all over your body anytime you like.

6 And your husband can too

7 French fashion, nice army uniforms that allow easy raising of the arms anytime a German says hello.

8 Gerard Deperdieu is the best looking male

9 You have carté blanché to shrug your shoulder snaytime you want

10 You DO have a word for Entrepeneur !!
Old Aug 21st 2003, 4:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top 10 reasons for being French

You can save water by bathing annually, .... and only then if you really need to.

No toilets to clean as you just use a hole in the floor.

You get to sell wine of notoriously variable quality, and incompletely laballed, at excessive prices.

The European Onion subsidizes your peasant farmers no matter how inefficient they are.

Any industrial dispute with the French government means that now is the time to blockade the Channel ports, by land or sea, or both!

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 21st 2003 at 4:29 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 4:28 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

You think horses are for eating, not riding.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I couldnt find any reasons to be French
Old Aug 21st 2003, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Neither could I.

Old Aug 21st 2003, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Not even speaking in an outrageous Closeau accent ?
Old Aug 21st 2003, 9:15 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Actually, at the risk of sounding unfashionable, I am pretty OK with the French. They have made some valuable contributions to the world such as the food, they are capable of much better wine than the Americans can *currently* produce (though some is admittedly overpriced IE: a 2000 Margeux sells for around $450 a bottle which is insane), and also a generally relaxed happy way of life. France is a beautiful country, and I have gotten on well with just about every French person I have ever met.

France is a pretty popular place for brits to buy second properties, and I think that if it wasn't for the tedious language thing a lot more Brits would end up there.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 10:27 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually like France too. Nice countryside, pretty chateaux, good food (apart from the snails etc) and wine, sexy language, great fashions, laid back way of life (less workaholic than Brits) and most French people I've found quite friendly. I actually speak a little french and they love it when I try a little on them. They can certainly show us a thing or two about how to run trains!
All countries have good and bad points. I think jokes about the French are just a bit of fun, like blonde jokes etc. Noone really means it. I'm sure the French joke about us 'rosbifs' too.
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 2:35 am
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the Catalan region in the Southernmost part of France is the most beautiful place I've ever visited. But even so, that's no excuse for the French

More reasons...

11. Being able to pretend not to understand anyone who doesn't speak perfect French.
12. A culture where a menage-a-trois is expected.
13. No need to feel shame about running away when placed in a war-situation (just doing what my father and grandfather did).
14. Claiming the highest subsidies in EU history to support the most inefficient farming system in the world.
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

It was always said that in the UK a politician is seen as untrustworthy for having an affair. In France they worry about a politician who has not had one yet.
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 6:30 am
ScarlettHill

Default Re: Top 10 reasons for being French

Originally posted by Pulaski
You can save water by bathing annually, .... and only then if you really need to.

No toilets to clean as you just use a hole in the floor.

You get to sell wine of notoriously variable quality, and incompletely laballed, at excessive prices.

The European Onion subsidizes your peasant farmers no matter how inefficient they are.

Any industrial dispute with the French government means that now is the time to blockade the Channel ports, by land or sea, or both!
European onions - you gotta lov 'em.

How come no one mentioned French kissing, French letters and French toast.

Zut alors!

A bientot
-=-
Scarlett

Old Aug 22nd 2003, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

That does it, I'm moving to France as soon as possible. I can't wait to meet some lovely French girl and get drunk on French wine. Now where did I put that English/French dictionary, I need to start brushing up on my French.
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 12:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JerseyBoy
I think the Catalan region in the Southernmost part of France is the most beautiful place I've ever visited. But even so, that's no excuse for the French

More reasons...

11. Being able to pretend not to understand anyone who doesn't speak perfect French.
13. No need to feel shame about running away when placed in a war-situation (just doing what my father and grandfather did).
14. Claiming the highest subsidies in EU history to support the most inefficient farming system in the world.
My first adolescent fling took place in Provence, and did indeed involve fraternising with the French, and I will forever love the place for it. I can still smell the lavender and wild thyme (and garlic) all the way here to Chicago. Sigh.

Also, don't tell the Maquis that they ran away from any war.

Aux armes, citoyens.
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point

15. Refusing to import British beef when its perfectly safe and the EU says so, when BSE and Foot & Mouth came from France in the 1st place

16 Having 273 outstanding charges from the EU for non-complicance with EU directives, all of which were voted for by the French, but which they can't be bothered to enact because it doesnt suite them, and sticking 2 fingers up to the judicial process.