Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Top 10 Places To Live In The US - 2006

Top 10 Places To Live In The US - 2006

Old Jul 18th 2006, 5:43 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top 10 Places To Live In The US - 2006

Oddly enough Austin gets the nod as the #2 best "big city" behind Colorado Springs, Colorado.... NYC in at #10.

This list is very odd; for example, it lists HOUSTON as being #3 in skinniest people; yet Houston makes the top of the fattest cities list every year.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:19 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Terrier
$329,000 median house price!!!

You dont' get shit for under $600K in Naperville, agree with the rest of the facts though, Naperville is a great place to live, it is where people who are frightened of living in downtown Chiacgo live.

Though there are other quaint towns to live in the Chiacgoland area, but I guess most of them slipped under the radar because they have fewer than 50K people live there.
I live in Wheaton, close to the Naperville border. Naperville is fairly nice, but full of giant McMansion developments with all the character of a strip mall. Downtown Naperville is terrific, though. $600K is about right if you're talking a fairly new 4 bed house.

I'm not sure how they picked this list. Towns like Northampton, MA; Putney, Vermont; Durango, Colorado or Bend Oregon are what appeals to me personally: fairly rural, lots of open space, ex-hippies, intellectuals, artists and clean air galore. They seem to have picked fairly unexceptional white-bread suburban bedroom communities (with the exception of Fairfield CT which is very nice but very expensive). Also, if you wanted to be really truthful, the more expensive towns (Guilford, CT; Half Moon Bay, CA) are really where it's at.

Edit: just noticed Bend at #86, it's one of my favorite places in the US I've ever been.

Last edited by Hiro11; Jul 18th 2006 at 12:21 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

omg sugarland, tx #3 doesn't say much for the remaining cities
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Oddly enough Austin gets the nod as the #2 best "big city" behind Colorado Springs, Colorado.... NYC in at #10.

This list is very odd; for example, it lists HOUSTON as being #3 in skinniest people; yet Houston makes the top of the fattest cities list every year.

lol houston down to #3 for the fattest cities this year
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:15 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=snowbunny]Oddly enough Austin gets the nod as the #2 best "big city" behind Colorado Springs, Colorado.... NYC in at #10.
UNQUOTE

Not sure why thats odd - Austin is lovely!

This list is very odd; for example, it lists HOUSTON as being #3 in skinniest people; QUOTE]

Now that is definitely odd!!!!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:15 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol houston down to #3 for the fattest cities this year

They obviously heard I dropped a few pounds when I was back in the UK last year
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
They obviously heard I dropped a few pounds when I was back in the UK last year
think i found them when i was there this time
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Houston is known as the 'armpit of hell'.....

We didn't even make it...YEAH!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Houston is known as the 'armpit of hell'.....
thanks for reminding me
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:24 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I've noticed that this particular list often times neglects lovely areas with fantastic culture. It seems to me that they base the criteria mainly on schools, cost of living, employment rates, housing, taxes, per capita income and crime rate. Those things are important but certainly not the be-all and end-all to everyone living in America. We have to consider the source though - a different publication would probably come up with completely different results.
Indeed - I would have thought that the areas with the highest housing costs and higher cost of living are often that way because many people want to live there in a supply & demand kind of way. There are many, many places with low housing costs - the reason they are low is because they are pretty crappy to live in.

Housing, crime, schools etc are relatively easily measured, it is the international cuisine, theater, great hiking areas etc that are a little more difficult to ascertain in this sort of survey.

Virginia Beach over San Francisco? - yeah right.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:31 pm

[QUOTE=TouristTrap]Houston is known as the 'armpit of hell'.....

QUOTE]

Got your CV handy? The local tourist board are recruiting marketers
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:36 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I work in number 37.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:39 pm
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

Haha. Edison, NJ at #28. Used to live there and hated it.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 2:08 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Although I've lived here 3 years, I've hardly been to Fort Worth except to visit the art museums and go to the rodeo.

What do you recommend I visit in Fort Worth, given that it's right on my doorstep? My little bro' will be here for a visit any day now, and I'll need some sights to show him, other than corn-fed teenage farmhands getting gored to death by huge angry hunks of pot-roast (as happened when I took my sister to the rodeo!).
I'd head downtown on the weekend. Since the Bass brothers renovated the downtown area ..... it's got great pedestrian traffic. It's a lot of fun and gorgeous to look at. Just pay to park somewhere and walk around. Plenty of great places to eat - depends on what you fancy. You can barhop as there are bars and clubs sprinkled around or just go to Billy Miners for a couple of beers and then on to Caravan of Dreams for some live music.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 2:19 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I work in number 37.
I was surprised at that...though I was surprised at a lot of the cities on the list.

Imagine- not one single AL town either...what's up with that??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.