Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Top 10 Places To Live In The US - 2006

Top 10 Places To Live In The US - 2006

Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:54 pm
Banned

asdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Top 10 Places To Live In The US - 2006

no i mean cary, nc. but i have been to katy also. that giant outlet mall is out there.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asdasd12345
the american dream nowadays is having a super target within 5 minutes of your house.

It is??? That's the first I've heard and if that's the American dream then I hate to think what the American Nightmare is
Old Jul 18th 2006, 11:33 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

no i mean cary, nc. but i have been to katy also. that giant outlet mall is out there.
and don't forget the rather sad little replica of the forbidden city and....and...and...nope, thats about it - we've covered all the attractions of katy

Don't know about Cary - never been there (and never heard of it till this thread!) but from what I've seen on TV, NC seems to have infinitely more character than our little corner of TX............
Old Jul 19th 2006, 2:03 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

ive been to sugar land and cary. i think cary was the nicer of the two, but a lot of construction is going on there. sugar land was just acres of subdivisions that all look the same, and on every road theres a walmart, super target, best buy. the american dream nowadays is having a super target within 5 minutes of your house.
Weird. Your description of Sugarland is much like Cary is today!

PS: there's still a lot of construction taking place in Cary and much of Wake county.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 19th 2006, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Question for you...what makes a city 'good' to you? I'm surprised that there is so much negativity about some of the cities, as they seem like perfectly fine places to live, but obviously I am in the minority...and I'd be interested to read about places you like. What would make your city good or great, or what place seems ideal to you?

For example, I love Columbus, well the suburbs that is, as the area has everything we (30somethings with young children) need for an affordable price. Lots of parks, pubs (as far as the US goes), MLS, NHL, the university, top hospitals, good arts environment, cheap shopping, and Columbus is the liberal centre of a conservative state (a plus to me). I like that it doesn't rely on a manufacturing industry, so the economy is more stable than the rest of the state. For us it was a nice

I love Seattle...would put that at the top of my list, but the housing is expensive and the commuting awful.

Also like Colorado, but haven't been there in ages. I don't like the weather on the south coast (humid summers and hurricanes) so can't judge that.

Anyway...curious to see what the rest of you like in a city, or the positives of where you live.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 7:02 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

A good city for me is a multi cultural city. Seattle seems to be that, though somewhat less than DC was. I miss the friendliness of DC, but I am discovering it again here. I am living in a neighbourhood that is a mix of long time black residents and newer white residents. It doesn't seem to be a case of white residents move in and black residents move out. We are renting at the moment and trying to find a house in this area.

Seattle has a lot of good restaurants, theatre, shopping, easy access to outdoor space. Housing is expensive but thats the price you pay for wanting to live close to the city centre.

The downside is that the winter is going to be a lot darker than DC's, and if you have to commute which my husband does to the eastside its can be a pain. All in all I would recommend it to anyone looking for these things in a city. Snow sports in the winter should be fun too
Old Jul 19th 2006, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
A good city for me is a multi cultural city. Seattle seems to be that, though somewhat less than DC was. I miss the friendliness of DC, but I am discovering it again here. I am living in a neighbourhood that is a mix of long time black residents and newer white residents. It doesn't seem to be a case of white residents move in and black residents move out. We are renting at the moment and trying to find a house in this area.

Seattle has a lot of good restaurants, theatre, shopping, easy access to outdoor space. Housing is expensive but thats the price you pay for wanting to live close to the city centre.

The downside is that the winter is going to be a lot darker than DC's, and if you have to commute which my husband does to the eastside its can be a pain. All in all I would recommend it to anyone looking for these things in a city. Snow sports in the winter should be fun too

And its cooler here.....
Old Jul 19th 2006, 7:08 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
And its cooler here.....
Its lovely here!.Sunny, but at temps human beings can handle that was definately one of the bad things about DC. Called one of my friends today who was frying in 97 degrees with humidity so high you can hardly breathe.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
Question for you...what makes a city 'good' to you? I'm surprised that there is so much negativity about some of the cities, as they seem like perfectly fine places to live, but obviously I am in the minority...and I'd be interested to read about places you like. What would make your city good or great, or what place seems ideal to you?

For example, I love Columbus, well the suburbs that is, as the area has everything we (30somethings with young children) need for an affordable price. Lots of parks, pubs (as far as the US goes), MLS, NHL, the university, top hospitals, good arts environment, cheap shopping, and Columbus is the liberal centre of a conservative state (a plus to me). I like that it doesn't rely on a manufacturing industry, so the economy is more stable than the rest of the state. For us it was a nice

I love Seattle...would put that at the top of my list, but the housing is expensive and the commuting awful.

good post jen.....sadly not much to report positive about houston, wish i could would make living here much easier.....although the sub-division where we live has

Also like Colorado, but haven't been there in ages. I don't like the weather on the south coast (humid summers and hurricanes) so can't judge that.

Anyway...curious to see what the rest of you like in a city, or the positives of where you live.
good post jen.....sadly not much to report positive about houston, wish i could would make living here much easier the subdivision where we live is nice and we are the lucky ones for sure.....the violence in houston since katrina has escalated big time, luckily we have our subdivision manned 24hr and fingers crossed so far so good...thankfully houston and america is not forever.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 7:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion most cities are great to visit but you couldn't pay me to live in one. I like to step outside my back door... see green grass and lots of trees....the only noise I hear is the birds and an occasional car.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In my opinion most cities are great to visit but you couldn't pay me to live in one. I like to step outside my back door... see green grass and lots of trees....the only noise I hear is the birds and an occasional car.
Are you camping in Ray's back yard? :scared:
Old Jul 19th 2006, 9:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Taxes too high, coupled with too many drunk drivers (most named Kennedy) on the roads. Plus, there is that annoying nasel accent.
That's true,the property taxes are rather high, but for the average folk that don't have million $ homes, they'll be all set...the drunks, your right about that...and the accent...it's not to bad after a couple of years you get use to it, it's only really bad in the north of the state, further up past bangor, but then there's nothing to see that far north except Sugar Loaf, but who can afford to ski or golf there anyway *l*
Old Jul 19th 2006, 10:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
tough to answer, but for me, public transport, somewhere that makes it easy to get around, and also walk around and not have to rely on a car....greenery is also nice, as is having seasons, but seasons that don't involve mud season...and no massive extremes, so moving from Maine to Mass was daft *lol*

culture is also nice, just to see a bit of variety, what ever that might be, different buildings, places to see, places to eat, that sort of thing...schools I guess, but I don't have kids, so right now, don't care, but there's some lovely insanely huge ones' around here I've noticed.

A good mix of ethnic races makes for an interesting place too...so much more diverse here than in Maine, hell, there are some people that have probably never actually met a black person in some parts of Maine, and it's really bad, but when you do see an ethnic person there, you automatically think tourist, or there there to pick the blueberries/potatoes as a seasonal worker....and on the plus, I've already discovered a couple of fun looking eateries and indian restaurants, don't know what there actually like, but something fun to have a bit of variety.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Are you serious?! Have you not read any of my other posts?!
Cut me some slack, there have been 3500+ of the buggers in the last year.

So whats your reasoning?
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 8:46 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Cut me some slack, there have been 3500+ of the buggers in the last year.

So whats your reasoning?
Too expensive, it's fun of wannabees (people so far up their own arses, they can see their tonsils!), too hot in the summer, loads of drink drivers, speed cameras , not much greenery...

I could go on, but basically I expected that there were some great places to live in America & if Scottsdale made it into the top ten, then it doesn't look good! Of course, this is all my personal opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.