British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Too lazy to work around your house?.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/too-lazy-work-around-your-house-189795/)

Pimpbot Nov 8th 2003 4:47 pm

Too lazy to work around your house?....

Then go pick yourself up an ilegal from the Home Depot car park every morning for $20 dollars an hour!.

Being a border state, we have a huge problem with ilegal immigration from Mexico. I passed by Home Depot this morning and there must have been 60 something ilegals standing around waiting to get picked up for some odd jobing. Its obviously got so bad here, that the police or BCIS services dont do a thing about it. I did hear that Home Depot are having to hire security staff around the country, as their stores, seem to have become a magnet for this, and the extra security is to keep them off their property.

Just amazes me that its all so blatent(sp)

Taffyles Nov 8th 2003 5:51 pm

Re: Too lazy to work around your house?....

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Then go pick yourself up an ilegal from the Home Depot car park every morning for $20 dollars an hour!.

Being a border state, we have a huge problem with ilegal immigration from Mexico. I passed by Home Depot this morning and there must have been 60 something ilegals standing around waiting to get picked up for some odd jobing. Its obviously got so bad here, that the police or BCIS services dont do a thing about it. I did hear that Home Depot are having to hire security staff around the country, as their stores, seem to have become a magnet for this, and the extra security is to keep them off their property.

Just amazes me that its all so blatent(sp)

$20 an hour!! That's good money for casual labour- the day labour companies here only pay about $30 a DAY.
Dunno about Arizona but in LA the police have been told to lay off illegals because they're good for the economy.

BrigieDarling Nov 8th 2003 5:54 pm

So it's one rule for us... and it's one rule for them huh?

Taffyles Nov 8th 2003 6:02 pm

Well they might have a rethink about that- illegals are only good for the economy when they're getting paid minimum wage or below- they might be shooting themselves in the foot charging $20 an hour.

RoB1833 Nov 8th 2003 11:17 pm

I wish I could afford to pay the $20 per hour, having spent the afternoon raking up leaves!

(Makes mental note to get a house without a massive tree in the back garden!) :D

doctor scrumpy Nov 9th 2003 10:45 am

Originally posted by RoB1833
I wish I could afford to pay the $20 per hour, having spent the afternoon raking up leaves!

(Makes mental note to get a house without a massive tree in the back garden!) :D
We got a leaf blower / vacuum from Lowes for that. Stillwaiting for all the bloody leaves to fall from the 3 trees in the front garden. I would have thought Isobelle would have taken care of them for us.

BrigieDarling Nov 9th 2003 3:47 pm

Originally posted by RoB1833

I've got 2 in front and about 5 in back counting neighbours! (Trees I mean)

Flippin fence keeps all the leaves in my yard.:(

But I have monk parrots in the summer so it's worth the time to mulch the leaves with lawn mower instead of raking!