Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Toilets in the USA

Toilets in the USA

Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:27 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toilets in the USA

Originally Posted by WARPed
I prefer the UK toilet and sewer system and think the UK flush actually has more power behind it that what I have found here (US wife agrees). The pipe diameter here seems way too small (for me anyway ) and every toilet I have come across has about 3 or 4 major bends in the pipe (maybe to generate the siphon action) before it even exits the porcelain. This again gives me some plunger problems!

As for the state of public loo's between the two countries. I have seen some atrocious one in both but agree with the OP that UK loos seem more private.

Awesome topic. I miss UK toilet humor.
The newer "low flow water saving greenie enviro cool" toilets are horrible. I end up flushing three times anyway so I don't get how they save water. If I forget the "midway through" flush it's plunger time. They didn't used to be that way. I swear the 1920's vintage toilet in the house I grew up in would flush a grapefruit without a hiccup.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
The newer "low flow water saving greenie enviro cool" toilets are horrible. I end up flushing three times anyway so I don't get how they save water. If I forget the "midway through" flush it's plunger time. They didn't used to be that way. I swear the 1920's vintage toilet in the house I grew up in would flush a grapefruit without a hiccup.
I agree with you, the flushing is pretty much crap! (no pun intended) I don't usually have any issues, but for some reason hubby and Son use half a roll of loo paper and have to flush numerous times during and after the whole process!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:39 pm
Bulldawgy dawg

Location: Currently living in Medway, Kent UK. Hoping to be living in the Tr-Cities, Washington state, USA
Master_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really nice

A toilet with hiccups? MESSY!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:43 pm
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Because, from research articles I have read, they project the bowl contents even further out of the pan than current designs.

Hint: Always put the lid down before flushing, and keep your toothbrush at least 6 feet from the loo ...
Ahhh ok thank you, that answers that one.

I have to confess I have an obsession about the lid being shut to flush the loo, can't imagine why anyone would want germs flying everywhere!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Because, from research articles I have read, they project the bowl contents even further out of the pan than current designs.

Hint: Always put the lid down before flushing, and keep your toothbrush at least 6 feet from the loo ...
Mythbusters did a show on this very subject, they tested all different scenarios, lid up, toothbrush at different distances from the loo etc. Seems this whole thing is a myth and your toothbrush is safe sitting right next to your open loo when flushed I still prefer to close the lid, but my loo is behind a wall with another door between it and the bathroom sinks
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:54 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannahlove7
I know this is random and a bit strange, but does anyone know why toilet cubicles in the US are nearly always not as private as UK ones? The 'walls' and doors always have huge gaps between them, so much so that in some places it is very easy to see someone and the walls might not as well be there. Probably really is no rhyme or reason to it, just one of those curiosities!
It's based on the assumption that as soon as high-school students are out of sight, they're jacking off, shooting up, skinning up or shagging up a storm: sometimes simultaneously...
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Mythbusters did a show on this very subject, they tested all different scenarios, lid up, toothbrush at different distances from the loo etc. Seems this whole thing is a myth and your toothbrush is safe sitting right next to your open loo when flushed I still prefer to close the lid, but my loo is behind a wall with another door between it and the bathroom sinks
Interesting ... but I think I'll keep my toothbrush out of the way, just in case.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:07 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with the flushing, it definately takes a few more flushes over here.. in the UK we hardly ever needed a plunger, but here it is on hand!!

Public toilets are WAY cleaner here, however saying that I tended to avoid public ones in the UK as they were so grim!!

Excellent subject = Toilets!!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

I think the door locks on US toilets are hard to work out, I think its because the doors open out instead of in, if you dont get the lock in the right place you miss, I spend way too much time trying to lock US toilet doors. They are much nicer though
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:22 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
I think the door locks on US toilets are hard to work out, I think its because the doors open out instead of in, if you dont get the lock in the right place you miss, I spend way too much time trying to lock US toilet doors. They are much nicer though
You must have a helluva time trying to get into your house!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WARPed
I prefer the UK toilet and sewer system and think the UK flush actually has more power behind it that what I have found here (US wife agrees). The pipe diameter here seems way too small (for me anyway ) and every toilet I have come across has about 3 or 4 major bends in the pipe (maybe to generate the siphon action) before it even exits the porcelain. This again gives me some plunger problems!

As for the state of public loo's between the two countries. I have seen some atrocious one in both but agree with the OP that UK loos seem more private.

Awesome topic. I miss UK toilet humor.
One of the problems with American plumbing systems is that houses in the US have 2 different size drains, the smaller one which were put in houses during the first half of the 20th century and the larger one that has been standard in houses since then. When you purchase a toilet that is in stock, it always is made for the smaller drain and you have to special order the larger one (along with the wax seals) if that is what you want.

In my opinion, American Standard toilets are usually far superior to any of the others in flushing power and its parts are standard and cheap. Kohler on the other hand has a much weaker flushing system and many times if you ever have to replace a part, it is likely that you will have to order the part from Kohler at 4-5x the price of an American Standard part.

All the full size American Standard toilets (even the cheapest) are 5 star rated for flushing and their low profile toilets are usually rated 4 star. Kohler on the other hand has very few 5 star rated toilets and their low profile toilets are rated as low as 2 star. I currently have 2 low profile 2 star rated Kohler toilets and have a plunger available at all times. I've also spent over $100 on parts repairing each.

Last edited by Michael; Aug 24th 2010 at 2:59 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:56 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
The auto flushing freaked me out!
they make my Dd scream, then laugh hysterically. I like US loos better than the UK ones to, public ones seem just as gross no matter what country I'm in (I need to shop in better areas apparently)
We have Kohler low flow or whatever water saver it's supposed to be, Dh repaired them so many times he ended up putting new inners in that use more water but all is done in one flush, Dd saves us water by never flushing, little beast she is.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:21 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

the American ones always scared me because the water level would rise so high in the bowl..I always had the 'oh my god its going to blow' moment seconds before it all drained away..

and you gotta love the fact that you could get different height toilets and different shapes..this lead to a very heated debate in Home Depot one day between me and OH..
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
the American ones always scared me because the water level would rise so high in the bowl..I always had the 'oh my god its going to blow' moment seconds before it all drained away..:eek:

and you gotta love the fact that you could get different height toilets and different shapes..this lead to a very heated debate in Home Depot one day between me and OH..
That is not true with any American Standard or Kohler toilets that has been made in the last 30 years. Some brands still flush that way (fill the bowel and then drain) but like you, I don't think they have a very good flushing system. Those types generally do not rate that high in their flushing systems.

Last edited by Michael; Aug 24th 2010 at 3:34 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:38 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
That is not true with any American Standard or Kohler toilets that has been made in the last 30 years. Some brands still flush that way (fill the bowel and then drain) but like you, I don't think they have a very good flushing system. Those types generally do not rate that high in their flushing systems.
the house was about 20 yrs old and the toilets were original...and yes they were the first thing we upgraded because I couldn't take the will it or won't it blow..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.