British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Toilets in the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/toilets-usa-682538/)

hannahlove7 Aug 24th 2010 9:24 am

Toilets in the USA

I know this is random and a bit strange, but does anyone know why toilet cubicles in the US are nearly always not as private as UK ones? The 'walls' and doors always have huge gaps between them, so much so that in some places it is very easy to see someone and the walls might not as well be there. Probably really is no rhyme or reason to it, just one of those curiosities!

Whilst on the subject, I really like american toilets. They flush differently, they seem to empty all the way before filling with water which makes sure there is nothing left behind, unlike my toilet here which i have to flush several times! A bit gross too but, american toilets make it easier to look at the results of your trip too - kinda bigger and flatter somehow!

Excuse my obsession with toilets... ! :eek: :blink: :o

dunroving Aug 24th 2010 9:30 am

Re: Toilets in the USA

Originally Posted by hannahlove7 (Post 8798942)
I know this is random and a bit strange, but does anyone know why toilet cubicles in the US are nearly always not as private as UK ones? The 'walls' and doors always have huge gaps between them, so much so that in some places it is very easy to see someone and the walls might not as well be there. Probably really is no rhyme or reason to it, just one of those curiosities!

Whilst on the subject, I really like american toilets. They flush differently, they seem to empty all the way before filling with water which makes sure there is nothing left behind, unlike my toilet here which i have to flush several times! A bit gross too but, american toilets make it easier to look at the results of your trip too - kinda bigger and flatter somehow!

They're a damn sight cleaner than most UK public bogs, that's all I care about.

Sherlock Holmes Aug 24th 2010 9:31 am

Completely off topic and the wrong country but anyone with an interest of things lavatorial might like to know that in Australia there is a guide book on sale which lists every public loo in the country. :D

P.S. I lived in the US many years ago and the flush system does seem far superior.

Falcore Aug 24th 2010 9:40 am

The USA seems to use some kind of syphonic flushing action that ceased to be sold here in about the 70s I think, though I don't know why. They use the same volume of flush I believe 4 or 6lt but their way is by far superior to the gravity UK flush.

Sorry to be such a saddo that knows about toilet flushing! :o

hannahlove7 Aug 24th 2010 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Falcore (Post 8798981)
The USA seems to use some kind of syphonic flushing action that ceased to be sold here in about the 70s I think, though I don't know why. They use the same volume of flush I believe 4 or 6lt but their way is by far superior to the gravity UK flush.

Sorry to be such a saddo that knows about toilet flushing! :o

"syphonic flushing" - that sounds like an orchestral piece!

Yes, US toilets are much cleaner than UK ones (generally speaking).

This forum is so educational, learn something new every day! Where did you learn about Syphonic Flushing by the way?

dunroving Aug 24th 2010 9:47 am

Walter Jowers is an expert on toilets and a funny writer to boot (check out his column in the Nashville Scene).

http://weeklywire.com/ww/10-06-97/na...r_shelter.html

Falcore Aug 24th 2010 9:52 am

Originally Posted by hannahlove7 (Post 8798985)
"syphonic flushing" - that sounds like an orchestral piece!

Yes, US toilets are much cleaner than UK ones (generally speaking).

This forum is so educational, learn something new every day! Where did you learn about Syphonic Flushing by the way?

I sell bathrooms, so you still occasionally get the little old man come in with his syphonic "bomb" (we call it) to see if we can get him a new one because its stopped working. I think basically all it is, is that the water is syphoned out before being replaced where as we do it by water displacement/gravity. Not sure why we ever got rid of the syphonic way though! :D

dunroving Aug 24th 2010 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Falcore (Post 8799002)
I sell bathrooms, so you still occasionally get the little old man come in with his syphonic "bomb" (we call it) to see if we can get him a new one because its stopped working. I think basically all it is, is that the water is syphoned out before being replaced where as we do it by water displacement/gravity. Not sure why we ever got rid of the syphonic way though! :D

Because, from research articles I have read, they project the bowl contents even further out of the pan than current designs.

Hint: Always put the lid down before flushing, and keep your toothbrush at least 6 feet from the loo ...

Master_Bulldog Aug 24th 2010 11:21 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 8799025)
Because, from research articles I have read, they project the bowl contents even further out of the pan than current designs.

Hint: Always put the lid down before flushing, and keep your toothbrush at least 6 feet from the loo ...

I like American loos...clean and violently effective! Now...American showers frustrate me because whilst they tend to be better built...they're nearly always fixed to the wall! I like a shower head I can move around to wash all my bits properly!

cappuccino Aug 24th 2010 11:48 am

The auto flushing freaked me out!:eek:

Master_Bulldog Aug 24th 2010 11:53 am

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 8799254)
The auto flushing freaked me out!:eek:

Toilets on aircraft are WAY cool! Just touch the button and BANG! There goes your heavily processed in flight meal...good riddance I say! :thumbsup:

another bloody yank Aug 24th 2010 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by hannahlove7 (Post 8798942)

Sure, it's easy to see in there if you put your eye right up to it!
Every time this comes up I cannot for the life of me figure out why you Brits keep looking in the gap! Reminds me of the joke about the old lady complaining that the man next door walks around naked in front of an open window. An officer comes out to investigate and finds the window facing the old woman's house about 8 ft off the ground and mostly covered by a tall hedge. The officer tells the woman "You must be imagining things, you can't see in there." The old woman replies "Well it's plain as day if you get up on this ladder and move that damn bush out of the way!"

WARPed Aug 24th 2010 12:19 pm

I prefer the UK toilet and sewer system and think the UK flush actually has more power behind it that what I have found here (US wife agrees). The pipe diameter here seems way too small (for me anyway :lol:) and every toilet I have come across has about 3 or 4 major bends in the pipe (maybe to generate the siphon action) before it even exits the porcelain. This again gives me some plunger problems!

As for the state of public loo's between the two countries. I have seen some atrocious one in both but agree with the OP that UK loos seem more private.

Awesome topic. :thumbup: I miss UK toilet humor.

WARPed Aug 24th 2010 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Master_Bulldog (Post 8799265)
Toilets on aircraft are WAY cool! Just touch the button and BANG! There goes your heavily processed in flight meal...good riddance I say! :thumbsup:

I worry what could happen if you accidentally hit the flush button while still sitting there...especially for blokes :unsure:

dunroving Aug 24th 2010 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by WARPed (Post 8799338)
I worry what could happen if you accidentally hit the flush button while still sitting there...especially for blokes :unsure:

You'd either have to be very flexible or sitting on the toilet backwards - isn't the lever on the back wall? (maybe I'm thinking of trains).