Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Toilets in the USA

Toilets in the USA

Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toilets in the USA

Originally Posted by lisag8070
the house was about 20 yrs old and the toilets were original...and yes they were the first thing we upgraded because I couldn't take the will it or won't it blow..
In my last place, I put in one of those types in my guest bathroom not realizing that is the way it flushes because it was very inexpensive (some off brand). Once I flushed it, I wished I had put in an American Standard for $50 more.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:01 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
In my last place, I put in one of those types in my guest bathroom not realizing that is the way it flushes because it was very inexpensive (some off brand). Once I flushed it, I wished I had put in an American Standard for $50 more.
we learn from our mistakes..and hey, at least you got a toilet that works..
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WARPed
I prefer the UK toilet and sewer system and think the UK flush actually has more power behind it that what I have found here (US wife agrees). The pipe diameter here seems way too small (for me anyway ) and every toilet I have come across has about 3 or 4 major bends in the pipe (maybe to generate the siphon action) before it even exits the porcelain. This again gives me some plunger problems!

As for the state of public loo's between the two countries. I have seen some atrocious one in both but agree with the OP that UK loos seem more private.

Awesome topic. I miss UK toilet humor.

Mostly agree - never had plumbing problems in the UK but have had them twice in the five months we've been here!

I generally don't think much of public loos out here - they're functional, but usually really spartan, and not always that clean, even in places you might expect them to be better (smart hotels, restaurants etc).
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:37 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

3 pages on TOILETS.... we must be British!!!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WARPed
I prefer the UK toilet and sewer system and think the UK flush actually has more power behind it that what I have found here (US wife agrees). The pipe diameter here seems way too small (for me anyway ) and every toilet I have come across has about 3 or 4 major bends in the pipe (maybe to generate the siphon action) before it even exits the porcelain. This again gives me some plunger problems!
The flushing is nothing like as strong as the old high-level cisterns.

Some of the partitions are so small that you feel very intimate with the person next to you Also in women's loos, the used sanitary products just go in a little 'mailbox' which doesn't seem very hygienic.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

LBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really nice

Ha I love this thread I have been wondering the same thing...maybe there's a tight budget on the door material?!! At least you can always tell if one is occupied!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The stalls are to help people with a "wide stance":

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=Wide%20Stance
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

chrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to all

Nothing to do with the hardware but what really makes me chuck up about UK public toilets is seeing other guys neglect the whole hand washing process; especially in a restaurant! I'm wondering if this is a universal trait of some men. Also what I expect is rather universal is that shared taps/faucets are unclean, what do you put your hands on before washing? Your 'instrument of urination', your zipper and maybe your belt, none of which I would touch of another guy so no worries about germs, but then the tap handle-thing before washing hands is shared. I like the space age automatic ones, although sometimes the sensor is in a stupid place! My psychologist tells me to avoid public toilets, they cause me too much mental anguish.

More on topic, I'm not too concerned as to the slight lessening of privacy, cleanliness is much more important to me.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The stalls are to help people with a "wide stance":

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=Wide%20Stance
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:10 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I envy all you with access to both UK and USA public toilets.

This is what I deal with 9 times out of 10 when out in public ...... try teaching your little girl to use one of these .........
Attached Thumbnails Toilets in the USA-azzurra_av_turca.jpg   Toilets in the USA-turca01g.jpg  
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:17 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

This is what I deal with 9 times out of 10 when out in public ...... try teaching your little girl to use one of these .........
my god you guys must have killer thigh muscles..
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

I literally went all over the world with the air force, including the near, middle and far east. The only place I had no choice but to use one of these....

France!

Believe me it's no fun in a flight suit.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannahlove7
does anyone know why toilet cubicles in the US are nearly always not as private as UK ones?
Probably because it costs less to stick up a few flimsy partitions than it does to build real walls ...
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:56 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
my god you guys must have killer thigh muscles..
Never thought of it as excercise but you could be right. You also learn to think in advance .....

Am I wearling a long skirt that needs to be bunched up?

Have I got any straps or belts or dungaree type shoulder straps that might land down the hole?

Are my bootcut trousers so long over my high heels that when I lower them, are the hems going to get wet on a soggy floor? Do I need to bunch my trousers up around my shins, hold them in place and still try and keep my balance without pissing all over my nice shoes/boots ????
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Zonie
I literally went all over the world with the air force, including the near, middle and far east. The only place I had no choice but to use one of these....

France!

Believe me it's no fun in a flight suit.
You must mean an all in one suit - not a suit suit with a fly hole.
Teaching little boys to use these is easier than little girls. Boys just take great delight in aiming for the hole.
I suppose even men's apparel might make a difference though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.