Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Toddler seat/gadget for flight to UK???

Toddler seat/gadget for flight to UK???

Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Toddler seat/gadget for flight to UK???

Help pls!

Background

Husband and daughter will be flying to the UK at Christmas, on Christmas Day. Child will be 22 months and weigh 25lb max.

Husband has decided that we wont be paying for a seat, and is hoping that there'll be a spare one on the plane that kidlet can make use of. This is out of my comfort zone, but is his choice....

Anyway, with this is mind, I cant see how he'd be permitted to take a car seat actually onto the plane.

Questions:

Has anyone used a portable, plane-use only or similar toddler seating gadgets/harness? I found this one: http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/

What terms should I be googling to figure out where I can buy one.....?

Thanks so much!
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:29 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toddler seat/gadget for flight to UK???

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc View Post
Help pls!

Background

Husband and daughter will be flying to the UK at Christmas, on Christmas Day. Child will be 22 months and weigh 25lb max.

Husband has decided that we wont be paying for a seat, and is hoping that there'll be a spare one on the plane that kidlet can make use of. This is out of my comfort zone, but is his choice....

Anyway, with this is mind, I cant see how he'd be permitted to take a car seat actually onto the plane.

Questions:

Has anyone used a portable, plane-use only or similar toddler seating gadgets/harness? I found this one: http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/

What terms should I be googling to figure out where I can buy one.....?

Thanks so much!
Why would you buy one and not just use the seat you use in your car? I'd just take the car one, find out as he boards if there is a 'spare' seat he will be able to use, and if not just leave the car seat to be stored in the plane, same as you would if keeping a buggy with you until you board the plane.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
Why would you buy one and not just use the seat you use in your car? I'd just take the car one, find out as he boards if there is a 'spare' seat he will be able to use, and if not just leave the car seat to be stored in the plane, same as you would if keeping a buggy with you until you board the plane.
Yes do that, you can always gate check it or stow it overhead if theres no spare seat. We flew back Christmas day with our oldest when he was a newborn. The flight was packed solid, full of Brits too cheap to fly and get back in time for Christmas day (including us) We got a bulkhead seat and they gave us a carry cot for him, very lucky, he was only about 10lbs but no way I'd want to have to hold onto him the whole time.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:30 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a bassinet position on the plane you're traveling on? Some airlines allow people booking with infants to pre-select bassinet seats. Then the airline provides a Britax seat or similar to sit on the 'shelf' for the kid to sit in. Have you asked the airline what they can do for you?

With the 'take the car seat with you just in case' option already mentioned - what if you can't actually get on the plane with it to find out if there's a spare place? Just wondering whether they'll take one look at it at the door, see that you don't have a boarding pass for it, and tell you to bugger off. Sometimes they might not know if there will be a spare seat until everyone boards (i.e. a no-show). It might depend on the mood of the flight crew, and whether the plane's on time etc.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:34 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Is there a bassinet position on the plane you're traveling on? Some airlines allow people booking with infants to pre-select bassinet seats. Then the airline provides a Britax seat or similar to sit on the 'shelf' for the kid to sit in. Have you asked the airline what they can do for you?

With the 'take the car seat with you just in case' option already mentioned - what if you can't actually get on the plane with it to find out if there's a spare place? Just wondering whether they'll take one look at it at the door, see that you don't have a boarding pass for it, and tell you to bugger off. Sometimes they might not know if there will be a spare seat until everyone boards (i.e. a no-show). It might depend on the mood of the flight crew, and whether the plane's on time etc.
They should be able to put in store at the last minute, same as when you are the last person to board and there is no room left for your carry on, they'll take it and store it, and you grab it as soon as you walk off the plane.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:51 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

I would be really surprised if this idea worked. Usually airlines want to charge you if you want to bring a car seat for your child to sit in. Even then there aren't many they allow. I think when we looked into it with KLM there were restrictions on dimensions that were very limiting.
If your husband does luck out and find a spare seat, the airline are unlikely to let your daughter sit in it away from him. Some don't like children sitting next to unrelated male, most don't like infants moved from their allocated rows (due to location of infant life vests and spare face masks). He has to be able to put her on his knee again easily during turbulence.
Even if he finds a empty seat and say the kindly person sitting next to them swaps seats with him, they airline still might not let him move depending where on the plane it is.
The sky cots have a low weight limit from what I remember (if you are lucky enough to be able go get one). My daughter wouldn't have fit in it from much younger than 22 months.
I would have thought his options were 1. Have her on his lap 2. Pay for a child seat (we did this) 3. Pay the infant premium to be allowed the car seat and seat (can't imagine this would be any difference price wise to child seat).
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:34 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

If you travel with a lap baby, most airlines allow one collapsible stroller, or one car seat as part of the luggage allowance.
Heres us airways
BA allows both stroller and car seat. You can gate check the car seat and the stroller, they will be by the doors of the plane as you get off. They have a different color tag on so they get pulled from the hold and placed where you can get to them.
We always bought a child ticket and took our car seat on the plane, made for a much calmer trip for all involved, and also my kids were used to the seat so slept for a lot of the journey without trying to get out and walk about like an unrestrained toddler would do.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Sep 27th 2011 at 8:37 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:18 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

They should be able to put in store at the last minute, same as when you are the last person to board and there is no room left for your carry on, they'll take it and store it, and you grab it as soon as you walk off the plane.
I think the point here is that they won't be the last on - they'll likely be among the first with a toddler in tow. If they don't let the car seat on the plane to begin with then it's likely getting gate checked there and then so it doesn't clutter up the jet bridge as the remaining 100s file onboard, losing the opportunity of snagging a spare seat for it at the last minute. It may work - but I sure as hell wouldn't bank on it being better than a 50/50.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. Lots of food for thought.
I'll show him this thread at the weekend.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
I think the point here is that they won't be the last on - they'll likely be among the first with a toddler in tow. If they don't let the car seat on the plane to begin with then it's likely getting gate checked there and then so it doesn't clutter up the jet bridge as the remaining 100s file onboard, losing the opportunity of snagging a spare seat for it at the last minute. It may work - but I sure as hell wouldn't bank on it being better than a 50/50.
You can choose to board whenever you like though. Just because you have the right to board first with a kid, doesn't mean you have to. Personally we always board last, its bad enough you have to keep your kid still for the 11 hour flight, i'm not boarding an extra 30 mins early
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:30 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Toddler seat/gadget for flight to UK???

You can choose to board whenever you like though. Just because you have the right to board first with a kid, doesn't mean you have to. Personally we always board last, its bad enough you have to keep your kid still for the 11 hour flight, i'm not boarding an extra 30 mins early
I don't blame you.....but now that one can only take one suitcase to/from the US and Canada these days instead of two if flying in economy class, many people are bringing larger cases as 'carry on' luggage: the weight limit for BA is *very* generous for a carry on bag/case.

Not much fun if you need to get an item out for a little one during the flight and your bag has had to go into an overhead locker 10 rows behind - I've seen this happen first hand..!
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:46 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Toddler seat/gadget for flight to UK???

This may be of interest for people with slightly older children (ie. when renting cars etc. as I don't think they're approved for use in planes):

http://easycarseat.com/

My Aussie expat friends have twins aged 5 and they used the "Bubblebums" (see link below) this past Summer when they were on holiday in Greece and England. They also used them on their transatlantic and European flights and in rental cars - they thought the "Bubblebums" were really useful. You can get them on Amazon (US site and UK site):

http://www.babyabroad.co.uk/Blog/201...-booster-seat/
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:29 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I know most airlines allow lap babies under 2 for domestic US flights, but I also have read that many airlines require tickets, even if you are a lap baby, for international flights. What airline are you flying?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:36 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
I know most airlines allow lap babies under 2 for domestic US flights, but I also have read that many airlines require tickets, even if you are a lap baby, for international flights. What airline are you flying?
That's true - we flew to Germany with the Sproutlet last month. We checked a few airlines out and all the ones we looked at were 10% of the adult fare.

As an add-on to the car seat discussion, while we didn't take ours' onboard as part of our prep we found that there was a disparity on terms of rules and regs between EU and US airlines in what was allowed and what was not.

There was a good travel blog about traveling with kids that's written by a US-based flight attendant - I'll try to dig it out and add it here if I can.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:41 pm
Septic Sprout

Ok - couldn't find the link to the blog I mentioned, but I think the blogger concerned is a regular poster on the Flyertalk forum's Traveling with Children section. This is a goldmine of info and opinions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children-221/

It starts with a sticky on "most useful threads":

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...t-threads.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.