TN - Visa

Old Jun 19th 2001, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

nirupam is an unknown quantity at this point

To apply for a TN visa, is a copy of the appointment letter acceptable? or, does one need to have the original appointment letter? The person, who seeks this information is going to work for a University and has a letter from their International Office (IO) to the TN Visa Officer at the border post requesting for a TN visa for the employee. However, she was given only a copy of the original appointment letter (the original was kept by the department for their record). I am wondering if these two documents (letter from IO and a copy of the original appointment letter) would be enough without the original appointment letter for applying for a TN visa. I believe the original appointment letter is needed. Could someone confirm this. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 19th 2001, 8:42 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

nirupam wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

No, the original appointment letter is not needed, and indeed sometimes it is
better not to show it to the TN officer. A letter prepared specially for the
purpose of obtaining TN status is best. Often there are items in an actual
appointment letter which may potentially cause problems, for example, any reference
to a permanent position.

You mentioned a letter from the International Office of the University. I think it is
better to have your specially prepareed TN support letter be from the Chair of a
department, or other more "normal" person to be offering you this position.