Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

TN, need some answers

TN, need some answers

Old Jul 30th 2002, 10:52 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 41
tweetybird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TN, need some answers

I think TN is the best way for me to work in the US. I'm a Canadain Citizen. I have an associates degree in Computer Animation, some Macromedia classes and 3 years experience. I want to enter under graphic designer but will my animation degree qualify and my 3 years of experience are not after my degree but done, before and during. Is this going to be a problem?
How hard is it to get TN? And, lastly.. can I use my degree if I get a job making websites? It's all graphic arts to me but they might not think so. Help please. Thanks.
tweetybird is offline  
Old Jul 31st 2002, 2:20 am
  #2  
Stuart Brook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: TN, need some answers

tweetybird wrote:
    >
    > I think TN is the best way for me to work in the US. I'm a Canadain Citizen. I have
    > an associates degree in Computer Animation, some Macromedia classes and 3 years
    > experience. I want to enter under graphic designer but will my animation degree
    > qualify and my 3 years of experience are not after my degree but done, before and
    > during. Is this going to be a problem? How hard is it to get TN? And, lastly.. can
    > I use my degree if I get a job making websites? It's all graphic arts to me but
    > they might not think so. Help please. Thanks.
    >
    > --

From www.grasmick.com ...

Graphic Designer Must have:
. baccalaureate or
. post secondary diploma *and three years' experience

An Associates degree is NOT a Bachelors degree. It may be treated as a diploma
provided it is 2 years duration, and you can show that you had reasonable
qualifications as a graphic artist already before getting your experience, and
therefore getting the degree was building on that foundation.

As to the job, providing the main focus of your duties can be expressed as graphic
arts (as opposed to web site design which seems to fall more towards the activities
of Computer Systems Analysts in the eyes of the INS) then your Animation degree
should be fine.

You need to find a job first and have them write a letter to the INS requesting your
entry. See www.grasmick.com for lots more information.

Curious ... My daughter is about to go to Algonquin to do animation ... where did you
get your degree ?

Stuart
 
Old Jul 31st 2002, 2:57 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 41
tweetybird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TN, need some answers

Oh, I didn't know about the systems anylist being considered a web designer. But I understand I need to have my letter catered to the design part of my job. My accosiates degree is for 2 years of study and I've been doing graphics for about 4 years now. I went to a school in Florida called Full Sail. They promised me a lot of things. Like my pick of jobs and never came through. arrg. Thanks for the answers.
tweetybird is offline  
Old Jul 31st 2002, 7:20 pm
  #4  
Stuart Brook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: TN, need some answers

tweetybird wrote:
    >
    > Oh, I didn't know about the systems anylist being considered a web designer. But I
    > understand I need to have my letter catered to the design part of my job. My
    > accosiates degree is for 2 years of study and I've been doing graphics for about 4
    > years now. I went to a school in Florida called Full Sail. They promised me a lot
    > of things. Like my pick of jobs and never came through. arrg. Thanks for the
    > answers.
    >
    > --

It's not that Systems Analysts are considered web designers, but a lot of web
designers have been admitted in the Systems Analysts category, since a lot of web
design is the mechanical part of doing the "programming" in html, java, flash, etc.
Of course, a lot of web sites show that they were done by techno folks and not
graphics artists

Of course there has been a big down turn in animation in the last couple years after
the highs of TLK.

Good luck!

Stuart
 
Old Jul 31st 2002, 7:58 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 41
tweetybird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TN, need some answers

I understand. So I just have to show I don't program the site. Sorry but what is TLK? I'm sure I know what it is, just not with the acronym.
tweetybird is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2002, 3:20 am
  #6  
Stuart Brook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: TN, need some answers

tweetybird wrote:
    >
    > I understand. So I just have to show I don't program the site. Sorry but what is
    > TLK? I'm sure I know what it is, just not with the acronym.
    >
    > --

The Lion King
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.