Tivo

Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tivo

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Trouble is we are tied to the cable company's broadband as our local phone company can't be arsed to provide DSL to us.

By the time you pay the broadband, it's cheaper to use the cable television vs satellite. Then when you do THAT, you're tied to their crappy Scientific Atlanta box.

If I can't own it and take it apart and hack on it, I don't want it.
I must check my typing...

Anyway, our neigbours moved from Dish, there typed it correctly, went Cable for the Package price, but their service and signal I can only describe as crap, TV particularly.

The Dish DVR works great, we have one of these and a normal double receiver. You can always buy them as well, e bay has them used if you want to play around.

We did need 2 dishes, but there was only a few channels missing from the main satellite, and it was a freebie.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Derbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really nice

If u google TIVO you can also find a site where u can BUILD your own to your own speck, besides havcking them to buggery!.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 10:24 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

my tivo doesn't require monthly subscription

i only had to pay the hardware cost which was about $80

only limitation is that the guide only goes a few days in advance but its easy enough to manually put in automatically recurring shows....
Old Mar 11th 2006, 10:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
my tivo doesn't require monthly subscription

i only had to pay the hardware cost which was about $80
lucky git
though that's what the story was about, them stopping that service in the future...
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:28 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
lucky git
though that's what the story was about, them stopping that service in the future...

I actually don't have a lifetime subscription, just a tivo that doesnt need a subscription
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:36 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
lucky git
We purchased a lifetime subscription for our Tivo and paid $299 for the service as hubby couldn't see the sense in paying the service fee each month.
The subscription is actually a product lifetime subscription and apparently only covers the machine we have. So if we decide to upgrade when Tivo comes up with a product that records HDTV programs, the subscription we have doesn't cover the upgrade. Doesn't make sense to me Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Desdemona; Mar 12th 2006 at 2:51 am.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 5:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desdemona
The subscription is actually a product lifetime subscription and apparently only covers the machine we have. So if we decide to upgrade when Tivo comes up with a product that records HDTV programs, the subscription we have doesn't cover the upgrade. Doesn't make sense to me Anyone have any thoughts on this?
yeah, your buggered...though i'm sure there are other alternatives to tivo box...well there are ain't there...2 or 3 other companies do a box like tivo...
Old Mar 12th 2006, 5:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I actually don't have a lifetime subscription, just a tivo that doesnt need a subscription
how did you wangle that then?
Old Mar 12th 2006, 11:46 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah, your buggered...though i'm sure there are other alternatives to tivo box...well there are ain't there...2 or 3 other companies do a box like tivo...
But how about the service ? We are with comcast.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 4:38 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by Bob
how did you wangle that then?

some toshiba tivos just came with a slightly cut down version, like not having the season pass functionality, but very little else is removed.

since we mainly use it for pausing live tv to make a cuppa and then fast-forwarding through the ads ti works great.

very simple to set up repeat boradcastings etc yourself, just no season pass.

i will be annoyed if it ever gives up the ghost
Old Mar 12th 2006, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Derbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really nice
Smile Re: Tivo

Here ya go Bud...............

http://tivo.hackaday.com/
Old Mar 12th 2006, 7:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Desdemona
But how about the service ? We are with comcast.
wouldn't have a clue...big one against tivo would be ReplayTV, don't know if there better, they use to be until they got slapped for removing adverts and shite...

as for boxes, RCA Scenium DRS7000N Digital Media Recorder, it's a DVR/DVD player, gets the tv listing straight from the hidden broadcast signal...buy the box and your good to go, HDTV sorted....it's good because you don't need a phone jack, it plugs straight into your cable...shite if your a sat user though...

Panasonic's DMR-HS2 is pretty, and it has a DVD recorder, which is nice...can burn shite from the hard drive that you recorded...but the major suck about it, no tv listing I don't think, it relies on the old fashion tv code number listings from those printed guides...but it's good to back up your vhs...it is also a one off fee...