Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Title Issues - Selling a vehicle.

Title Issues - Selling a vehicle.

Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Title Issues - Selling a vehicle.

We have an old banger to get rid of.

Where I am you basically fill all the forms, and the new owner takes it to the DMV, registers it and then you are of the hook. We just did this with a newer vehicle.

Now the person interested in buying this may well not have adequate Identification to register the vehicle, just a guess.

So I rang the DMV and they told me that it is registered to us until someone else comes in and re-registers it.

Just seemed odd, there is no way I can be certain whoever I sell it to will re-register it. I will have the bill of sale, well a copy, thinking about it now the owner of the van we bought has nothing except my contact details.

Just wondered if someone else had come across this issue.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:58 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Title Issues - Selling a vehicle.

Don't you remove the plate?
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boiler

Where I am you basically fill all the forms, and the new owner takes it to the DMV, registers it and then you are of the hook. We just did this with a newer vehicle.

Now the person interested in buying this may well not have adequate Identification to register the vehicle, just a guess.

So I rang the DMV and they told me that it is registered to us until someone else comes in and re-registers it.

Just seemed odd, there is no way I can be certain whoever I sell it to will re-register it. I will have the bill of sale, well a copy, thinking about it now the owner of the van we bought has nothing except my contact details.

I just talked to someone I thought would know, seems that if you sell it whatever way unless you go to the DMV with the buyer there is no way of making sure.

Even if you sell it to a dealer, they will hold the tiltle and pass it on to their buyer.

Most odd.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Don't you remove the plate?
Still has the VIN on it.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:04 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Still has the VIN on it.
Yep -- typical mess!

This is interesting on a Google

I'm receiving tickets for a car I sold.

When a vehicle is sold in the State of Colorado, the license plates remain with the owner and must be removed or canceled. To be released from responsibility for the ticket you must provide both proof of plate cancellation AND proof of vehicle sale.

One of the following documents is required for proof of cancellation:

* A vehicle motor card from the county DMV.
* Copy of your registration stamped "plate canceled" or coded "R05Y".
* Copy of DMV printout, showing new owner.
* A letter on DMV letterhead that is signed by a DMV official stating that your plates have been canceled.

For proof of sale or disposal a copy of the bill of sale AND a copy of any of the following documents is required:

* Title transfer paperwork
* DMV printout showing new owner
* Insurance cancellation paperwork
* Trade-in agreement (if your vehicle was traded to a dealer)
* Towing/Salvage company paperwork
* Divorce decree
* Paperwork that shows vehicle was donated
* Bank/Finance company papers showing vehicle was repossessed.
* A notarized bill of sale.

Any documentation must clearly indicate the date of the sale, transfer, or disposal. You will receive a letter outlining our findings, and whether or not the citation is still valid.

If the required documents have been lost or destroyed you may appear before the Parking Magistrate.

Source: http://www.denverpvb.com/denverpvb/tick.html
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

That is strange. In Oregon the procedure is the same as that which you outlined, but the title also has a tear off part where the seller fills in the name and address of the new owner and then the seller mails it to the DMV.
It's not like that on the Colorado title?
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by farmerwife
That is strange. In Oregon the procedure is the same as that which you outlined, but the title also has a tear off part where the seller fills in the name and address of the new owner and then the seller mails it to the DMV.
It's not like that on the Colorado title?
Nope, that's sort of what I expected, both parties notify so each is covered.

I have rung a round a few people, did get an invite to a BBQ tomorrow, one told me of a problem he had, the vehicle was donated to a charity, they fixed it ip and sold it, sometime later he was contacted by a Towing Company acting for the Police who had recovered it abandoned. The vehicle had never been re-registered. The charity sorted it out. My concern would be if something serious happened, you might be able to fight it but it would cost.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

And pretty easy to find out the title info:

To purchase a record other than your own, you must declare your intended use of that record, or you must have the signature of the person in interest authorizing you to inspect the record. The search will provide the vehicle description, the name and address of the owner, and the lien information, if there is a lien on the vehicle.

You will need to:

1. Complete the following forms:
DR2539 Title Information Request and Receipt
DR2489 Requestor Release and Affidavit of Intended Use
2. Send your request to the Colorado Title Section, Denver, Colorado 80261.
3. Your request must include the vehicle identification number (VIN), year and make of the vehicle. If you have the Colorado title number, it will be helpful.
4. Enclose the $2.20 search fee, payable to the Colorado Department of Revenue. For certified records, submit an additional $.50.

The current title information will be mailed in approximately 2 weeks from receipt of your request.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 12:45 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Each state is different. NM is rather like CO, and it's not unusual for the cops to come knocking on your door concerning a hit-and-run involving a vehicle you thought you had sold. You can sort it out, but not usually before the local rag has dirtied your name.