British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tis the season to be jolly... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tis-season-jolly-487785/)

Ash UK/US Oct 17th 2007 5:03 am

Tis the season to be jolly...

So now the stores have their Christmas trees up who has started their Christmas shopping? who is almost done? and who hasn't even given it a thought yet?

By the can you still not bring Christmas Crackers back from the UK? last I heard they were not allowed on the plane, did they change the rules on that?

Sally Oct 17th 2007 5:05 am

Re: Tis the season to be jolly...

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 5434653)
So now the stores have their Christmas trees up who has started their Christmas shopping? who is almost done? and who hasn't even given it a thought yet?

By the can you still not bring Christmas Crackers back from the UK? last I heard they were not allowed on the plane, did they change the rules on that?

Humbug

Jerseygirl Oct 17th 2007 10:38 am

You can buy luxury ones for about $16 for 10 at Costco...but they sell out very quickly.

nethead Oct 17th 2007 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5435353)
You can buy luxury ones for about $16 for 10 at Costco...but they sell out very quickly.

Have you got shares in cosco JG? :D

Jerseygirl Oct 17th 2007 11:49 am

Originally Posted by nethead (Post 5435478)
Have you got shares in cosco JG? :D

No but I should...or at the very least be on their payroll.

Tracym Oct 17th 2007 11:56 am

World Market sells crackers. And I saw them all over last year - Walgreens, even the grocery stores. Apparently they are becoming more popular.

Or are the ones in the UK better?

JULIEROSE Oct 17th 2007 12:13 pm

I have almost done mine. My best buys were $11 freshwater pearl bracelets from HSN for all my nieces.

I make my own Christmas Crackers. You can buy the bits and then put whatever you want people to receive inside. Cheaper and bettter than buying them here. I usually put in a lottery ticket, some sweets, paper hat and something for each guest/person. I print off my own jokes and cut them out.

I have found the crackers for sale at my local store in the old town here also, Liniens n Things have them. There are online stores that sell them as well. I bought them from one but was disappointed with the size etc so now I make my own.

lisag8070 Oct 17th 2007 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5435560)
World Market sells crackers. And I saw them all over last year - Walgreens, even the grocery stores. Apparently they are becoming more popular.

I don't know about better but they are more readily available, you can go for the real cheapo stuff or you can spend the really big bucks....

I've seen some on sale (in the UK) for about $1000, but you did get things like Silver cufflinks, gold ear-rings etc....

I love the ones from World Market, but will have to definately try the ones from Costco as well

Titchski Oct 17th 2007 12:21 pm

"'tis the season to be jolly"

to which I reply: "is it ****! It's only October, you lecherous retailing bastards!"

Erm, Christmas shopping was finished in June, thanks to Mrs Titchski :o

bee2 Oct 17th 2007 12:59 pm

International Christmas Crackers!

Hi,
I have found a cracker site that delivers worldwide. At last!

http://usa.sendit.to/perl/search.cgi?query=crackers

Bob Oct 17th 2007 3:57 pm

we've been getting the odd pieces through out the year, mostly stocking stuffer type things or things we see on sale for those family members we're not to keen to spend the money on...miserable sods :D

Kaffy Mintcake Oct 17th 2007 5:19 pm

Started in September, but I probably won't finish until 12/24. ;)

Sally Oct 17th 2007 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5435560)

YES

Sally Oct 17th 2007 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE (Post 5435631)
I have almost done mine. My best buys were $11 freshwater pearl bracelets from HSN for all my nieces.

I make my own Christmas Crackers. You can buy the bits and then put whatever you want people to receive inside. Cheaper and bettter than buying them here. I usually put in a lottery ticket, some sweets, paper hat and something for each guest/person. I print off my own jokes and cut them out.

I have found the crackers for sale at my local store in the old town here also, Liniens n Things have them. There are online stores that sell them as well. I bought them from one but was disappointed with the size etc so now I make my own.

What about the bangs though?

JULIEROSE Oct 17th 2007 5:34 pm

You can buy those too.

Sally Oct 17th 2007 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE (Post 5436781)
You can buy those too.

I might try that then - where can you get them?

hatfield1 Oct 17th 2007 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE (Post 5435631)

Wow you must have a lot of time on your hands. Sounds a bit Martha Stewart to me.

hatfield1 Oct 17th 2007 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5436788)
I might try that then - where can you get them?

Gun shop:eek:

JULIEROSE Oct 17th 2007 5:38 pm

http://www.christmas-crackers-usa.co...n-crackers.htm
Here you can buy the snaps for $2.95 a bundle. I use my own Christmas paper and I don't bother with stiff ends.

Sally Oct 17th 2007 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by hatfield1 (Post 5436795)
Gun shop:eek:

:eek:

Sally Oct 17th 2007 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE (Post 5436799)
http://www.christmas-crackers-usa.co...n-crackers.htm
Here you can buy the snaps for $2.95 a bundle. I use my own Christmas paper and I don't bother with stiff ends.

Thank you.

I'll have to think about the stiff ends :)

JULIEROSE Oct 17th 2007 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by hatfield1 (Post 5436793)
Wow you must have a lot of time on your hands. Sounds a bit Martha Stewart to me.

LOL. Perhaps Martha will have me on her show. They don't take that long, I think I did about 20 in an hour and my 3 year old likes to help!

Bob Oct 17th 2007 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE (Post 5436799)
...and I don't bother with stiff ends.

oh errr indeed :D

hatfield1 Oct 17th 2007 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE (Post 5436826)
LOL. Perhaps Martha will have me on her show. They don't take that long, I think I did about 20 in an hour and my 3 year old likes to help!

That’s not so bad. Doesn’t you little one just want to snap all the snappy thingies?

hatfield1 Oct 17th 2007 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5436801)
:eek:

Yup just pull the pin and lob across table…..Happy bloody Xmas.. :lol:

Ash UK/US Oct 17th 2007 6:39 pm

I thought about buying some cracker in the UK and bringing them back but the last I heard (a couple of years back) you couldn't bring them on the plane... anyone know if this is still true?

hatfield1 Oct 17th 2007 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 5436997)
I thought about buying some cracker in the UK and bringing them back but the last I heard (a couple of years back) you couldn't bring them on the plane... anyone know if this is still true?

Don’t know. Bloody hard to bring down a plane with crackers though. :D

Ash UK/US Oct 17th 2007 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by hatfield1 (Post 5437005)

One would think so... I just don't want to splash out on some nices ones only to have some little control freak take them from me at the airport

Redlippie Oct 17th 2007 8:31 pm

I haven't made my own since I was about 10 :)

wisewol Oct 17th 2007 8:49 pm

Not sure abot in the hold but last year they were certainly taking them from people infront of us who were trying to take them in hand luggage.

hatfield1 Oct 17th 2007 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Redlippie (Post 5437330)
I haven't made my own since I was about 10 :)

I’m inspired. I will try making my own this year. Poor bloody fools….I can’t wait…Hello cracker (Boooooooommm) good bye eyebrows. :blink::eek::rofl:

lisag8070 Oct 17th 2007 10:07 pm

Aren't you allowed to put them in your suitcase?,

IMO I wouldn't chance bringing them, with the way security is at the moment it really wouldn't be worth it if you had to throw them away at check-point...

Norri Oct 17th 2007 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by hatfield1 (Post 5437005)

Allegedly you can do it with half a bottle of water and some shampoo so it should be a doddle with a box of crackers.

hatfield1 Oct 17th 2007 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Norri (Post 5437694)
Allegedly you can do it with half a bottle of water and some shampoo so it should be a doddle with a box of crackers.

Well bloody hell shampoo can burn you in the eyes. I guess the crown from the cracker could give someone a false sense of power. :D

lisag8070 Oct 17th 2007 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by hatfield1 (Post 5437732)
Well bloody hell shampoo can burn you in the eyes. I guess the crown from the cracker could give someone a false sense of power. :D

thats soo true....my MIL puts her crown on for xmas dinner and she sits at the head of the table and you can feel the power oozing from her....:lol:

hatfield1 Oct 17th 2007 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by lisag8070 (Post 5437794)
thats soo true....my MIL puts her crown on for xmas dinner and she sits at the head of the table and you can feel the power oozing from her....:lol:

I’ll send you one of my home made crackers. She will be oozing something else this year. :blink::lol:

lisag8070 Oct 18th 2007 12:07 am

Originally Posted by hatfield1 (Post 5437810)
I’ll send you one of my home made crackers. She will be oozing something else this year. :blink::lol:

:rofl::rofl:

AmerLisa Oct 18th 2007 12:46 am

Christmas shopping........:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: You mean you aren't supposed to wait until the last weekend, or the last payday, whichever comes first? :eek:

Rushman Oct 18th 2007 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Titchski (Post 5435676)
"'tis the season to be jolly"

to which I reply: "is it ****! It's only October, you lecherous retailing bastards!"

What he said!!!!