Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tips (wanted) for going to an American Football game (49ers vs Jaguars)

Tips (wanted) for going to an American Football game (49ers vs Jaguars)

Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

ImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to all
Default Tips (wanted) for going to an American Football game (49ers vs Jaguars)

Howdy good people,
We moved to Bay Area about a year and a half ago but have yet to see a major sporting event.
Our friends are visiting for Thanks giving and we are taking the opportunity to finally see a NFL game. (The 49ers at home in CandleStick park)

So does anyone have any tips?

- should we get there early
- should we bring our own food and drink
- what should we wear
- any social faux pas

Any tips, anecdotes and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
KK
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips (wanted) for going to an American Football game (49ers vs Jaguars)

Well, don't go to the 49ers and Jaguars because they are both crap, unlike the Giants!

Faux pas? Don't shout "Kick the ball! This is a football game, right?!"
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips (wanted) for going to an American Football game (49ers vs Jaguars)

Originally Posted by ImmortalNinja
Howdy good people,
We moved to Bay Area about a year and a half ago but have yet to see a major sporting event.
Our friends are visiting for Thanks giving and we are taking the opportunity to finally see a NFL game. (The 49ers at home in CandleStick park)

So does anyone have any tips?

- should we get there early
- should we bring our own food and drink
- what should we wear
- any social faux pas

Any tips, anecdotes and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
KK
Here's an anecdote: Candlestick Park is the place The Beatles played their last live concert outside of a television studio (and the roof of the Abbey Rd studio!).

I always use public transport to get to Candlestick. Parking is expensive and a mess to get out of. Oh, and dress warmly; the place is like a wind tunnel.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

I 2nd Dean's reply: don't go to the 49er's/Jags game. Instead make the 27 mile journey south and watch Stanford verses Notre Dame on the 28th. It should be a much more enjoyable game to watch.

All of your questions are really dependent on your own needs. If you want to be there early, then go, there is usually entertainment inside and outside of stadiums on game day. If you don't want to spend all day there, then arrive 30-45 minutes before kick-off. Food and drink is always available but queues and prices are obnoxious-- so if you want to queue and spend the money then eat in the stadium, if not then perhaps grab some food near the stadium or simply bring your own or eat before leaving. Wear want you want-- jeans and a t-shirt is just fine (coat/warm-wear if you feel it is needed), wear the home teams colors if you want to- it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by Leyther; Nov 24th 2009 at 10:44 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leyther
Wear want you want-- jeans and a t-shirt is just fine.
Not at Candlestick - Giantaxe knows what he is talking about ..

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Oh, and dress warmly; the place is like a wind tunnel.
I would be thinking ski jackets and serious winter weather gear
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by md95065
Not at Candlestick - Giantaxe knows what he is talking about ..

I would be thinking ski jackets and serious winter weather gear
Never been to Candlestick, so I did edit just prior to your post to write wear what is applicable to the weather conditions. Invesco here in Denver you can get away wearing just a t-shirt one week and the next you need thermals and a double-walled mug.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

ImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to all

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess to clarify,
We already have the tickets. It was a toss up between the Stanford and NFL game and I think the cheerleaders swung the vote for my friends.
We dont know much about football so maybe the crapness of both teams will even each other out.

I guess this being our first sporting event we dont know what to expect.

We want to bask in the full glory of a NFL event (even if the teams are crap). According to my mates:
"Let's do it properly. Beer. Hot dogs. Peanuts. Big foam hands. Shirts. Cheerleaders. Jail. In that order!"
So I guess we'll get there early. We'll probably drive so how much earlier do you think we should go to find parking?

KK
Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

I went at this time of year once and we were there less than an hour early. But we weren't tailgating so went straight in. Definitely layer up since if you're on a side in the sun it'll feel nice though as soon as it dips down will go cool.
Oh and take plenty of money. You can't take drink in and beer there is not cheap.
Quality of the game aside the atmosphere was good when we were there and the Nuggets were a welcome distraction.
Oh and depending on your seating maybe consider some binoculars. Especially for the Nuggets!
Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:39 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Dress warm. Candlestick is a wind tunnel and it gets biting cold. I used to work for the NFL Cardinals when I was a kid (back when they were in St. Louis) and they would often pack our 'cold weather' gear for the trip even if it was in the late Summer.

If the weather is really cold or you are in the shade, you might consider long underwear. Seriously. You are basically sitting for several hours in the cold (and if it rains, yuck). You don't get a lot of movement to keep warm so you should dress for the weather. If it is going to rain, consider rain gear and I've often taken a big blue construction tarp to cover myself with. Double check your seats as you may be in the sun (i.e. looking toward the sun) and need sunglasses or a hat. If it rains, bring a few dry towels to mop up your seat if wet and/or to sit on. Some real hardcore fans will go with adult sized diapers so they don't have to get up during the game but I think that might be a bit overdoing it.

You should see if any of your friends are planning a tailgate. You arrive early and eat and get drunk in the parking lot. Quite a bit of fun. Some radio stations or fan groups might have a tailgate as well. If you got the tickets from a mate they might put you on to someone who is partying, or you can always just find a big tailgate and crash. Or just do your own--you need beer, chips, burgers / hot dogs / brautwurst and a grill. Everything after that is just icing on the cake. You might want to check what the parking rules are for the stadium. There might be some close-in lots that are permit only (i.e. no cash).

A basic understanding of American football might help. Play a few rounds of Madden on the Xbox or Playstation to sort out how strategies differ on certain plays given the distance (i.e. 2nd and 15 and they might pass, 3rd and 1 and they'll probably run). Helps you know where to look.

Personally I think the cheerleaders at the Stanford game would probably be a bit more enjoyable than most NFL ones. But Standford isn't a really 'thrilling' place to see a game unless it was Cal v. Stanford (i.e. the Big Game).

Last edited by penguinsix; Nov 24th 2009 at 11:41 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

lol... I was going to suggest big foam hands but it sounds like you're sorted...
Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Tailgating is the best approach to eating at the stadium. If you don't want to do the grill part, stock the cooler with beer, soda, sandwiches and munchies. You will be talking and laughing with everyone else in the parking lot doing the same. Especially when they find out this is your first football game in the US, they will latch on to you to explain it all and make you want to root for their side. I've always found tailgaters to be open, friendly and die hard fans. When we tailgate in Mississippi for the college games you see big screen tv's playing other footballs while people are milling about and eating and talking.

Enjoy yourselves. Don't buy food instead the stadium, way way too expensive and the beer is usually warm and flat. But then the warm part you might like
Old Nov 25th 2009, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Johnny Blood will become famous soon enough

I'm an American and a huge football fan.

1. If you want to party, get there very early for tailgating. Bring a grill or at least prepared food. Tailgaters are friendly, I always get fed in the lot. I would get there three hours before kickoff if you want to tailgate You will make friends. Also bring a football so you can play catch.

Here is a group that organizes parties. You can register and then bring food/beer and party with a whole bunch of people. This sounds fun and I recommend it! This way you can also park far away and just carry your stuff to the party. (It is HARD to get good tailgating spots at most stadiums, I don't know about Candlestick. To get next to most NFL stadiums you have to be there right when the lots open in the early morning.):
http://www.club49.org/Tailgate_Menu.php
http://xpress.sfsu.edu/archives/magazine/011612.html
When: Sunday, November 29th, 2009 Be there early. Some of us will be waiting to get into the parking lot at around 7:00AM..

Where: Club 49 Tailgate Spot @ Candlestick SF, CA Near GATE F "Goldmine" ticket entrance/near Pole N.
2. You can bring food, sealed bottles, and thermoses into the stadium. Put food in a clear bag if you do this.

3. You aren't allowed to bring in alcohol but it is very very common to sneak in a flask/little bottle and then discretely drink it in the stadium. (either be sneaky with the bottle or buy a beer and then put the hooch in the empty cup). They may give you a half-hearted pat down at the entrance. Just, uh, stick it somewhere. I only mention this since your buddies want the "full experience."

4. Read this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football_strategy . American football is a strategic game of discrete plays, the breaks in the gameflow are essential. If you have some understanding of the strategy and the playcalling you will enjoy it much more.

5. You make noise when the OTHER TEAM has the ball. You want to impede the communication on the field and cause false start penalties. When your team is on offense you want it to be quiet before the snap. Of course you cheer after a good play.

The 49ers and Jaguars are struggling but don't listen to all the negativity here. Crabtree and Davis and Gore are all exciting offensive players for SF. The defense is not so great this year though. Jacksonville has one of the best offensive players in the league, Maurice Jones Drew.

Tell your new friends a Packer fan gave you some tips. It's the least I can do after we have completely dominated the 49ers in the regular season and playoffs for the last two decades.

Last edited by Johnny Blood; Nov 25th 2009 at 12:45 am.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:46 am
Just Joined

mrcarrot is on a distinguished road

I live in SF, have been here 1.5 years and went to my first 49ers game the other week (Bears vs 49ers) as a friend from the UK was over who was a fan and was happy to explain the rules.

I loved it - its nothing like UK football however - more of a board game than a tight team of individual players. All the locals were giving advice and comments on the game as it went on - its a very social affair and the banter between the two sides of fans was great and very good natured.

As mentioned, it was ruddy cold, the beer was expensive and took ages to obtain. Tank up in the car park and then hit the stadium would be my recommendation.

Can't wait to go back and catch another one ;0)

Cheers,

mr L
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:38 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

These are the things you need to take.

Old Nov 25th 2009, 12:49 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You should also become good friends with the most famous person in the seats, the 'Beer Man'. He will walk up and down the aisles throughout the game selling beer from a giant cooler. You pass the money down the aisle and the fans pass you back a beer.

If you happen to find a really beautiful woman working as the 'Beer Man' you should consider marriage as she is probably a keeper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.