Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tips on Visting Washington DC (and Baltimore/Philadelphia area)

Wikiposts

Tips on Visting Washington DC (and Baltimore/Philadelphia area)

Old Jul 6th 2013, 12:13 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips on Visting Washington DC (and Baltimore/Philadelphia area)

Thanks all...some good tips coming in...I hadn't thought about needing ID for the senate tours, although I guess if we get one (not heard yet..) they will tell us then.

On the White House tours, I'd taken the amendment to the website (the red para) to be the latest, which tied in with what we got from Olsens office, but don't know if there are any exceptions...but then we're not really an exceptional bunch.....

Leslie..thanks for the link to your thread and photos. A mine of information in there.

Walking and public transport seem to be the way to go...comfy shoes all round.

Shame we couldn't follow the tips on when to go, but beggars can't be choosers, especially beggars with jail-aged kids....
Old Jul 6th 2013, 12:18 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
In Philly, definitely the Franklin Institute, Art Museum, and the Barnes Foundation. If history is an interest, Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Valley Forge and more, There are early streets, Elfreth's Alley dates to the early 1700s. Longwood Gardens is spectacular if you like these things (former DuPont estate). several War of Independence battlefields, Brandywine Battlefieldis on the way to Longwood from Phila.

Elfreth's Alley

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...%27s_Alley.JPG
Nice pic...sort of how York might have looked if they'd bothered to learn how to use rulers before they started

The kids have already got liberty bell and Valley Forge on the list, but Franklin Institute was a new addition that someone else had mentioned too.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Nice pic...sort of how York might have looked if they'd bothered to learn how to use rulers before they started
LOL But that's what I like about York

We just got back from Washington DC (and NY, NJ, Philadelphia and Baltimore) yesterday I loved Washington especially I would highly recommend where we stayed, the Marriott Crystal Gateway. It cost us $99 a night, we stayed 5 nights, we had one room (2 adults, 3 kids aged 12, 10 and 6) and it was really well located, right on top of a Metro station and small shopping mall. However we found 5 days not enough to do everything there, we went to mostly the Smithsonian museums as they are all free. Don't be deceived by the length of National Mall, it's actually 2 miles in length! not surprised we were knackered that day we were walking backwards and forwards You can book a tour of the Capitol Building directly through their website, they had several time slots free when we decided to do it another time. We found the Metro fantastic, trains were frequent and it was very clean, NY should take notes! The only downfall was it was a bit too hot and humid for all that walking around, says the person who lives in Florida

We loved Philadelphia too. There is so much to do there and we regretted only going for the day and of course the day we were there was the only day it rained non stop the entire 2 weeks we were away!

You will have a great time We can't wait to go back to Washington....we will just pick a cooler time of year!
Old Jul 7th 2013, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

P.S. You will need a car to get to the Air and Space Museum by Dulles airport, but it is worth it!!

We actually parked on the street outside the hotel as it was free from 6pm-8am and only a $1 an hour in between.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
P.S. You will need a car to get to the Air and Space Museum by Dulles airport, but it is worth it!!

We actually parked on the street outside the hotel as it was free from 6pm-8am and only a $1 an hour in between.
Hmm, that's cheap for the parking.....the hotels we are looking at were charging 30-40/night for parking. I think we've pretty much decided to go carless for a few days, but may rent to go out to Gettysburg and on to Philadelphia, so we can time this with a car day, or else use the hotel airport shuttle (already confirmed they will let us do that!)

Last edited by Yorkieabroad; Jul 7th 2013 at 9:04 am.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Hmm, that's cheap for the parking.....the hotels we are looking at were charging 30-40/night for parking. I think we've pretty much decided to go careless for a few days, but may rent to go out to Gettysburg and on to Philadelphia, so we can time this with a car day, or else use the hotel airport shuttle (already confirmed they will let us do that!)
The hotel we stayed in charged just under $30 a night for parking. We had picked the car up when staying in NJ, hired it for a week but were going to hand it back after 5 days when we got to Washington due to the cost of the hotel parking, but then we spotted the parking on the street outside the hotel and saw it was so cheap so just used that and kept the car for those 2 days. We didn't actually pay anything as we made sure we were out by 8am and back after 6pm.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
Washington cabs, what a laugh! Good for short journeys, but if we crossed the river we would usually have to give the driver directions! No "knowledge" in Washington!
Every single driver was Ethiopian, and we must have taken 10 or 12 cabs. Some were great, others were so bad I nearly got out and walked home.

Having said that, I took a taxi into Chicago from Midway the other day, and within 30 seconds of getting in I was praying that I'd survive.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:48 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

The Udvar-Hazy, a name that rolls off the tongue. One of DC's most underrated attractions.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The Udvar-Hazy, a name that rolls off the tongue. One of DC's most underrated attractions.
It is part of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum but in Virginia which contains Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird, a Concorde, and the space shuttle Discovery.
Attached Thumbnails Tips on Visting Washington DC (and Baltimore/Philadelphia area)-a20030139000cp09.jpg   Tips on Visting Washington DC (and Baltimore/Philadelphia area)-collection.jpg   Tips on Visting Washington DC (and Baltimore/Philadelphia area)-4065_640.jpg  
Old Jul 8th 2013, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Definitely We went 'for the morning' and ended up being there for about 5 hours

I would put a picture of my kids with Discovery, but I can't remember the easy way to add photos They are on my FB page though.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Some ideas for things to do on the Washington DC Wiki
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categoryistrict_of_Columbia_City_Guide
Old Jul 9th 2013, 2:25 pm

Definitely We went 'for the morning' and ended up being there for about 5 hours

I would put a picture of my kids with Discovery, but I can't remember the easy way to add photos They are on my FB page though.
Sounds like our sort of place. Its been added to the list. Our plans are generally loose because we always end up finding things and places that keep us longer than intended -but that's what makes a holiday good, right? .....our trip last year was shortened by about 1200 miles because we stayed places longer than planned
Old Jul 9th 2013, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dewey
Some ideas for things to do on the Washington DC Wiki
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categoryistrict_of_Columbia_City_Guide
Nice link - thanks! Been on here for about a decade, and never been on any of the wikis
Old Jul 10th 2013, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Nice link - thanks! Been on here for about a decade, and never been on any of the wikis
I don't think many of the membership realize anyone can add to the Wiki pages on this website, most of the USA City Guides are blank. I started contributing to the Washington DC city guide wiki about 6 years ago when I discovered a lot of the same types of questions were coming up on this board and there wasn't a knowledgebase like it elsewhere...I thought what would a Brit new to the District want to know? - where's the caff/pub/chippy/etc, and it just sort of grew from there. Enjoy!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 2:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I put up a post last year about a road trip we were doing up to Washington, and got some great advice on places to stop in on the way. Unfortunately there were so many great places that we never actually made it past the Great Smokey Mountains!

So this year we are taking advantage of some really cheap flights on Frontier Airlines new route to somewhere up there (I'm 'ideas' - the boss is 'details'!) and going to have a couple of weeks in the Washington/Baltimore area.

Our first visit to that part of the country, and probably won't be back any time soon, so we want to focus mainly on what Washington has to offer, then get out and about a bit for whatever time remains (Annapolis noted from previous thread).

So, in Washington DC with 8 10 and 12 year olds, what should definitely be on our list, and what is worth skipping?

Any recs on where to stay, getting around, areas to avoid?

Any food we shouldn't miss?

Thanks.
How long are you going for? You can easily spend a week or more in DC...the fabulous museums, monuments, White House, Capitol Building, Arlington Cemetery etc and also Georgetown. IMO Philly and Baltimore don't come anywhere close to DC...so don't cut your visit to DC short by trying to see other places.

My daughter was 10 the first time she visited the museums...she was fascinated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.