Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tips, tips, tips

Tips, tips, tips

Old Feb 21st 2012, 3:01 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips, tips, tips

Originally Posted by kimilseung
interesting. I assume cans rather than draft.
Yeah, cans. It was mainly those that the whole top comes off so you're left with a wide mouth like a beer glass, rather than a hole like a coke can.

Actually, thinking about it I saw a carousel in a wine bar not far from here that you could dispense your own wine from....looked like overgrown optics. Didn't use it, so not quite sure how it worked, but folk were wandering up with empty glasses and walking away with full ones, so assume there was some money exchange at some point!
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
I hate that too. I always say, "No thank you." or, "Thank you, but no." As if they've offered to do something nice for me and I couldn't possibly impose. It's easy.
The "I'm okay, thanks" gives you a split second while they think about what you just said - enough time to focus on something else and make them realise they no longer have your attention!

Had a situation a couple of months ago where, screaming baby in one hand/arm, fajita in the other, open the front door to somebody asking for charity donations. "I can see you're busy but... [blah blah]" - "No thanks" - "What, you're not interested in helping the homeless?" - "No, not really" - "But [splutter] you must be [I slam the door]". Bloody cheek.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Yeah, cans. It was mainly those that the whole top comes off so you're left with a wide mouth like a beer glass, rather than a hole like a coke can.

Actually, thinking about it I saw a carousel in a wine bar not far from here that you could dispense your own wine from....looked like overgrown optics. Didn't use it, so not quite sure how it worked, but folk were wandering up with empty glasses and walking away with full ones, so assume there was some money exchange at some point!
Reminds me of the wine "glasses" you can get in M&S now (probably elsewhere too). I remember seeing them on Dragon's Den. Basically a plastic wine glass filled with red or white and sealed with foil, about £3 IIRC. Peel the top of, get left with strands of glue on the rim of the glass, and full of shit wine. Perfect. Not.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 5:28 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
The "I'm okay, thanks" gives you a split second while they think about what you just said - enough time to focus on something else and make them realise they no longer have your attention!

Had a situation a couple of months ago where, screaming baby in one hand/arm, fajita in the other, open the front door to somebody asking for charity donations. "I can see you're busy but... [blah blah]" - "No thanks" - "What, you're not interested in helping the homeless?" - "No, not really" - "But [splutter] you must be [I slam the door]". Bloody cheek.
"Are there no prisons? ... And the Union workhouses? ... Are they still in operation ..."
Old Feb 21st 2012, 6:15 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
It creates a subtle pivot in the dynamic of the situation doesn't it?
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:00 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I normally tip 20% for good normal service. Closer to 15-18% if only average.
In a busy bar I tip $1/round even if that's only 1 drink - I like to get served. Sometimes, I'll tip high upfront in a bar ($5-10) and then not tip for several rounds.
The valet parking is what gets me - I spend a lot of time in New Orleans where it's hard to park close to the hotel without valet parking. The valet fee goes to my room and is expensed but the tip to the valet $2-3 on average for for me, is out of my pocket. That adds up pretty quickly if you're there for 3 or 4 weeks...!
I took some advice from a colleague and told the guys I was going to be there for a while and would buy them pizza etc every week or two instead (in this instance I was there nearly 6 months and the tipping would have bankrupt me!). That worked out pretty well for me.

Do any of you guys tip at Sonic? That's the only fast food place where I've never been sure if I'm supposed to tip or not (mmmm diet cherry limeade!)
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:11 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad

I've been to a couple of winebars that you bought put money on a swipe card, then could go round and try different wines by wipping your card and it would then dispense into your glass. Pretty cool by all accounts - not that cheap though.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Lord_GG_Byron will become famous soon enough

I usually tip 15-25%, if I plan on coming back, or am interested in the waitress I leave more.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 2:43 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_GG_Byron
I usually tip 15-25%, if I plan on coming back, or am interested in the waitress I leave more.
You do realise that waitresses only pretend to like you to get bigger tips, right?
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 2:47 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You do realise that waitresses only pretend to like you to get bigger tips, right?
Stop - we should be honoured, to be in the presence of such an accomplished lothario.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 2:48 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_GG_Byron
Spring for a hooker and you might actually get laid once in a while.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 2:49 pm
Life goes on.

Originally Posted by Leslie
Spring for a hooker and you might actually get laid once in a while.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 2:50 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Stop - we should be honoured, to be in the presence of such an accomplished lothario.
As you wish
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 3:41 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I get tips occasionally, don't expect 'em, but am grateful. Strangely they come in cycles.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I think that is correct. In Hooters they practically sit on your lap with their tits in your face whether you be male or female!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.