British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tips or Recommendations to ship from Canada to US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tips-recommendations-ship-canada-us-713074/)

basementwaj Apr 12th 2011 2:39 pm

Tips or Recommendations to ship from Canada to US?

Any ideas on a good company to use to ship around 500lbs of personal belongings from Victoria Canada to Nashville? Everyone i have spoken to say there is a 2000lb minimum!

Any customs paperwork i need to be aware of?

Thanks y'all!

p.s. with regards to my other recent posts, i found an amazing lawyer in Memphis, we are good, Fiancee is on her way!:rofl:

Havnfun Apr 12th 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Tips or Recommendations to ship from Canada to US?

Originally Posted by basementwaj (Post 9300663)
Any ideas on a good company to use to ship around 500lbs of personal belongings from Victoria Canada to Nashville? Everyone i have spoken to say there is a 2000lb minimum!

Thanks y'all!

p.s. with regards to my other recent posts, i found an amazing lawyer in Memphis, we are good, Fiancee is on her way!:rofl:

I would check with Allied Van Lines, North American or United Van Lines. I believe you can do an on-line quote. They will have a link on their website for international moves and you can enter your info and get a ball-park estimate. I think some have a 1,000 lb minimum.

When we moved from Calgary to California the movers had to have copies of our passports and visas in order to get our shipment through customs and I believe you have to have a complete listing of everything that is included in the shipment as well.

Bob Apr 12th 2011 11:55 pm

If it ain't much, crate it up and UPS type deal to send it?

Congrats on the pending marriage though!

basementwaj Apr 14th 2011 5:07 pm

Thanks Bob!

Issue we have is that she is here as a visitor for 6 months. No visa necessary for that part, but do we need a visa to get her stuff here????????????

Havnfun Apr 14th 2011 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by basementwaj (Post 9305295)
Thanks Bob!

Issue we have is that she is here as a visitor for 6 months. No visa necessary for that part, but do we need a visa to get her stuff here????????????

I think without a visa you may have an issue getting her stuff here. The only other way I have heard of is if you have a vacation home in the US and a permanent residence in Canada. There is a document on the cbp.gov website that gives all the instructions but I couldn't find a way to link it here:thumbdown:

I think I googled "moving personal items from Canada to US". Also the form that will be required by customs is CF3299.

eris123 Apr 14th 2011 7:15 pm

I don't know how big your items are but moving about 2000 miles away for university (and then moving back) I shipped over 10 boxes through UPS/FEDEX/USPS at about 75 lbs each.

Jerseygirl Apr 14th 2011 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by basementwaj (Post 9300663)

Thanks y'all!

Hey...pleased to learn things are falling into place for you.

Why don't you ask in the Canada forums? Maybe someone who posts in there has shipped stuff from Canada.

Have you thought about taking a loooong road trip and bringing the stuff back with you?