Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tips for living on Maine

Tips for living on Maine

Old Sep 10th 2013, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

JHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really nice
Default Tips for living on Maine

We will be moving to Southern Maine in the next few months. Dos anyone have any advice, hints and tips that would be helpful? I have done extensive research but nothing beats local knowledge.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Portsmouth-Portsmouth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tips for living on Maine

Originally Posted by JHolden47
We will be moving to Southern Maine in the next few months. Dos anyone have any advice, hints and tips that would be helpful? I have done extensive research but nothing beats local knowledge.
Hello- I am from there originally. Do you have a more specific area? Some places there are very nice, while some of the old mill towns are not.

Portland is a great small city- I think the New York Times featured it in a very complimentary food related article. Anthony Bourdain seemed to enjoy J's Oyster, which is not far from DiMillo's floating restaurant. Gritty McDuff's has beer that won't be too different from what you have here in the UK.

The art museum in Portland is excellent, though small. There is a ferry that goes to the islands in the harbor, and it is nice to hop on, and go to one of the islands and have a picnic.

If you are moving in the next few months, that will put you smack in the middle of winter. It can be very cold, and you will see snow. There are ski areas within driving distance. Shawnee Peak, Sugar Loaf, Sunday River are all in Maine, and just over the border in New Hampshire, there are several more- Wildcat, Loon, and Bretton Woods are just a few.

The Downeaster train goes to Boston, but I am not sure how convenient it is. Driving may be your best option. You will need a car no matter where you are. It is a huge state- 35k square miles compared to England at 50k square miles, and there is only about a million people there.

What would you like to know? What do you like to do? You can hunt, fish, camp, ski, and do lot of outdoor activities, or you can be fairly cosmopolitan in Portland.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

JHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really nice

Hi thanks we will probably end up near Kittery but all depends on jobs. I an planning on cold winters! We are into outdoor activities. We would definitely get cars would you suggest SUV's? We are looking forward to a bit of wilderness!

I know we will have to retake our driving tests but have been told they will be easy?

I have also been told food is expensive and it nay be better to shop in NH is this right?
Old Sep 10th 2013, 9:00 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Long underwear.

In fact, Marks and Spencer's long underwear is much more comfortable than the type they sell over here, which is basically a sausage skin made out of cotton and polyester.

As for driving tests, it's only difficult if you do it blindfolded. You will fail however if you....well, you won't fail. The written bit might require a bit of study. Budget say 15 minutes or so.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Ok great that's good to know, we will make a trip to M&S before we go! Good to know the driving test is nothing to worry about
Old Sep 10th 2013, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Portsmouth-Portsmouth is an unknown quantity at this point

Kittery is just up from where we are moving next month. We will be in Portsmouth. Shopping is cheaper in NH, as there is no sales tax. I am not sure about the M&S long johns being more comfortable than the local stuff, but you may want to purchase some of your cold weather clothes in NH/Maine because it will probably be more suitable for the climate.

An SUV is a good thing to have, or really any AWD/4WD car, but remember, you still need to slow down in snow and ice. Usually the first car you see on the side of the road in the snow storms is an SUV with a hotshot driver.

I'm not sure about food costs- you can go online to http://www.hannaford.com/ and see about what your weekly shop would be.

Shaw's is another grocery store in the area.

Walmart does groceries too- but please be careful buying meat there. A lot of it is pumped full of "a solution" to tenderize flavorize or otherwise ruin the food. Read the ingredients.

If you shop in NH, there is also Market Basket (DeMoulas) I can't stand that chain. Aldi has a store in Salem NH now. It looks like they are inexpensive there too.

Kittery and Freeport both have outlet shopping, as does North Conway NH- if you want outdoor clothing, there is where I'd look.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Ok great for the hannafords link will check it out. Useful info about clothing thanks
Old Sep 10th 2013, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Woohoo, another Mainer.

If you're on facebook, check out the Brits in Maine group.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

I am! Ok will check it out thanks
Old Sep 10th 2013, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Maine! I live in a town just outside Portland. You don't necessarily need an SUV. I drive a Honda crv which handle icy conditions amazingly. It also gets me out of my long driveway after a storm before the plow guy gets here. Definitely look into arrangements with a plow person ASAP because he will be your best friend when you need to get out of the house after a storm. They tend to book up quickly also. Ask around and get recommendations from neighbors.

Regarding food shopping, I've changed my mind. I was back in Wnhland this summer and found food prices have gone up although the quality is often better in the U.K. There is a beautiful brand new Market Basket in Biddeford, also a huge Trader Joes and Whole Foods in Portland. Hannaford is a decent mid range supermarket, Shaws is crappy and overpriced.

Nh outlets like the ones in North Conway are excellent for tax free clothing shopping.

Good luck, I'm on Brita in Maine Facebook too. Chat soon!
Old Sep 10th 2013, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent, another Brit in Maine. We really do need to have a meetup soon. I'm north of Portland.

I love living in Maine - someone told me it's like living in 1950s Britain and I think that's true. People will stop their cars to let you cross the road, and wave hello whether they know you or not. There are lighthouses and beaches and skiing and mountains and forests and lakes all at your doorstep.

You don't need an SUV, just some good snow tyres. I drive a Honda Odyssey and a Nissan Altima hybrid. I agree that the first car you see off the road in a snowstorm is an SUV driven by a wanker.

Ummmmm what do you need to know? If you have kids then bring vaccination records from your UK doctor as you need to show them for various schools, camps, etc.

The schools are generally pretty good although I've no idea about Kittery. If you want really good schools then look at Cape Elizabeth, Falmouth and Yarmouth all near Portland.

I buy long underwear in LLBean and think it beats anything M&S has to offer. You'll also need ski jacket, gloves, trousers, a warm hat and snowboots (I got mine in the Columbia outlet in Kittery and another pair in the LLBean outlet in Freeport).

Property taxes are high. If you're renting they are usually included. If you're buying then make sure you find out how much they are before you buy. Mine are over $7000 a year. On the other hand my kids get fantastic schooling.

Most houses are heated with oil (not sure about Kittery) as not many areas have natural gas. Be prepared to be horrified by how much you spend on heating in winter. I spend $500 a month minimum in winter.

Groceries - I love Trader Joes, then for stuff I can't get there I go to Hannaford.

You're near Portsmouth NH which is one of my favourite cities for shopping and pubs.

Shopping is funny in Maine - you have towns full of outlets, but it's pretty limited for what you'd consider your standard shopping.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 2:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JHolden47
Ok great that's good to know, we will make a trip to M&S before we go! Good to know the driving test is nothing to worry about
Also check out LLBean.com, it is a Maine based company with excellent quality clothing, and an emphasis on outdoor wear. I don't have need for their heavy outwear, thermal underwear, or even their heavyweight shirts and sweaters, but I would do a lot of my clothes shopping there if I lived in Maine or Canada.

Originally Posted by kins
..... I buy long underwear in LLBean and think it beats anything M&S has to offer. You'll also need ski jacket, gloves, trousers, a warm hat and snowboots (I got mine in the Columbia outlet in Kittery and another pair in the LLBean outlet in Freeport). ......

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 10th 2013 at 2:25 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

There was a mention on the group to do a meet up at the Liberal Cup in Hallowell - i'm all for it but thats mainly because its just down the road from me.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
There was a mention on the group to do a meet up at the Liberal Cup in Hallowell - i'm all for it but thats mainly because its just down the road from me.
...I'm up for it cos it's such a great pub

Nice hike near there too. Vaughn Woods AKA Hobbitland... http://capitalwalks.blogspot.com/200...ghn-woods.html
Old Sep 10th 2013, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've never been round those woods but i'm told they're good.

Theres a 5mile nature trail around my place so we've been running around there recently

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.