British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tips how live and work in USA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tips-how-live-work-usa-242875/)

Libertine Jul 18th 2004 12:40 pm

Tips how live and work in USA?

It seems really hard to live and work in the US

Patrick Jul 18th 2004 1:04 pm

Re: Tips how live and work in USA?

it seems a difficult human endevour to fly

excpomea Jul 18th 2004 1:35 pm

Originally posted by Libertine

How about a little more info?
Or are you just stating a fact?

Myself, it took about 18 months to get used to the way things are done.
All the same I would never go back.

FlyergirlUK Jul 18th 2004 4:08 pm

Looks very much like a statement to me. :D

grahamalistair Jul 22nd 2004 6:34 pm

What bits are hard - it only took me a very short while to adjust - things are so much more logical and easy here - care to elaborate further?

AmerLisa Jul 22nd 2004 7:09 pm

Originally posted by Libertine
Its a theory, we're still waiting to hear your hypothesis......

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung...smiley-013.gif

Patrick Jul 22nd 2004 9:38 pm

Originally posted by grahamalistair
things are so much more logical and easy here
Without a doubt the broadest and dumbest statement made today! Some things are different here but logical and easier is up for serious debate!

Explain the electoral college and tell me that is easier and more logical than the first past the post system used in the UK?

Explain the film ratings and the censorship and how that is at all logical?

You need to drive everywhere, no two things are close together, is that logical or easy?

People who beleive it is there God given right to own a gun and shoot people with it if they piss them off, slightly less logical than zero guns in the UK don't you think?

TV - Illogical, American footbal - where is the logic, seperate stores for beer and liquor in a lot of states... I could go on.

I am always dumbfounded by people who like living here but have to make up ridiculous reasons for it being better that where they came from, its OK to like living in the US without saying prattish things like "America is logical and easier than the UK" with no basis for that comment.

Lesley1020 Jul 23rd 2004 1:49 am

Originally posted by Patrick
Without a doubt the broadest and dumbest statement made today! Some things are different here but logical and easier is up for serious debate!

Explain the electoral college and tell me that is easier and more logical than the first past the post system used in the UK?

Explain the film ratings and the censorship and how that is at all logical?

You need to drive everywhere, no two things are close together, is that logical or easy?

People who beleive it is there God given right to own a gun and shoot people with it if they piss them off, slightly less logical than zero guns in the UK don't you think?

TV - Illogical, American footbal - where is the logic, seperate stores for beer and liquor in a lot of states... I could go on.

I am always dumbfounded by people who like living here but have to make up ridiculous reasons for it being better that where they came from, its OK to like living in the US without saying prattish things like "America is logical and easier than the UK" with no basis for that comment.
One other thing I had to add to your list is the house buying process.... I worked for several years as a paralegal in the UK doing domestic conveyancing and my God I thought THAT system was out of date and could be simplified in many ways -until I came here! The whole closing process and amount of paperwork and background work is simply ridiculous. The selling agent as they are referred to throughout is buyer's agent - hmmm does that make sense?

I simply like it here because I enjoy waking up to sunshine most days, the standard of living in many ways, living by a lake, having a pool and driving down the highway listening to the Eagles :D I know - I'm silly :cool:

Patrick Jul 23rd 2004 2:04 am

Not puting tax on the price of goods so you pay more than you think - easy and logical?

Try buying a mobile phone and then use the words logical and easy

Going to the doctor and filling out forms each time and then paying a co-pay - neither easier or more logical than the system I left

Making everything a public record, anyone can have access to your credit report, tax returns, criminal records and anything else that you have - not logical.

TAX RETURNS!!!!!!

Gosh, I keep thinking of things that are less easy and more illogical than the UK, and they keep coming. Of course there are things that are easier - its a bigger country so the roads are bigger thus driving is slightly easier, even if the drivers are crazy. Every country has its good and bad points, living in america is different thats all.

ducatiandy Jul 23rd 2004 12:47 pm

Not puting tax on the price of goods so you pay more than you think - easy and logical?

Try buying a mobile phone and then use the words logical and easy

Going to the doctor and filling out forms each time and then paying a co-pay - neither easier or more logical than the system I left

Making everything a public record, anyone can have access to your credit report, tax returns, criminal records and anything else that you have - not logical.

TAX RETURNS!!!!!!

Gosh, I keep thinking of things that are less easy and more illogical than the UK, and they keep coming. Of course there are things that are easier - its a bigger country so the roads are bigger thus driving is slightly easier, even if the drivers are crazy. Every country has its good and bad points, living in america is different thats all.

Patrick, I have read many of your posts and even received valuable information from you myself, for which I thank you very much. But, your statements are - not logical. As I see it everyone has to have there reasons for being there and likes and dislikes but - not logical, "no different thats all" that is more like it. But the question there lies WHY? and what are the things that make you stay there, so then you ask yourself does this outway the "not Logical" things or not, if it does then you ask another question, why are you there?

Confused?

Ray Jul 23rd 2004 2:23 pm

[i]it does then you ask another question, why are you there?Confused?
Why does everybody takes Patricks brilliant humor so seriously
Why is he here? same as myself I expect ...SHE decided.

CalgaryAMC Jul 23rd 2004 2:37 pm

Not the point you were making, I realise, but if I may digress for a moment...

I approve of not putting tax on the price of an item - including it is an exercise in stealth taxation.

ducatiandy Jul 23rd 2004 2:45 pm

Originally posted by ray6
Why does everybody takes Patricks brilliant humor so seriously
Why is he here? same as myself I expect ...SHE decided.

And you mine Ray

grahamalistair Jul 23rd 2004 2:46 pm

I accept and apologize for the broad statement I made.

I personally find the road system here far more logical and easier especially in the Midwest. 1-70 I know means an East-West Interstate. I-29 I know means a North- South road. I know that 124 th street comes after 123 rd street and so-on.

Your comment about Movie ratings is well taken - I find it totally illogical that a five year old can go and see an R Rted movie provided his/her parents/adults are with them.

The electoral college mmm - well the first past the post system used in the UK is OK but illogical that Scotland and Wales are treated different and proportionatel have more MPs.

YES

Going to a fast food restaurant and asking for a soda and getting an empty cup but going to a soda fountain and having free refills -now that is easy and good and logical - compare that to the rip-off 1.20 pounds for a small glass of Coke and then the same again if you want a refill in a British Pub - so it is cheaper and better value to drink a pint of beer -- really encourages us to drink and drive doesnt it? Totally ****ed up British Logic that one -- to me it is logical to encourage the drinking of soft drinks by lowering the price.

Now in the USA - yo ucan go in the forces and be killed for yopur country at 18 years old but you can not buy a drink - now I admit that is totally stupid and illogical

I am sure this debate will go on. Interesting thread eh?

Graham A. Howarth

ironporer Jul 23rd 2004 3:14 pm

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
Not the point you were making, I realise, but if I may digress for a moment...

I approve of not putting tax on the price of an item - including it is an exercise in stealth taxation.
I agree. And wish the dam withholding for income tax would be done away with- make everybody write a check on tax day...just so they see what they really pay. As it is, most idiots actually think the Gov. is "giving" them money when they get their refund.

One other thing- instead of April 15, taxes should have to be paid on election day!