British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Tipping UK Shipment Packing Crew?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/tipping-uk-shipment-packing-crew-721858/)

Gerber Jun 21st 2011 5:56 pm

Tipping UK Shipment Packing Crew??

Is it customary to tip the crew that comes to pack your house (UK)? And if so, how much?

Many thanks.
:)

suburbanmum Jun 21st 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Tipping UK Shipment Packing Crew??

Hmmm in the UK I'd say not. We didn't but then we were paying for the packing (my husband's employer was) so it didn't occur to us to hand over any money at all. Tipping for things like that isn't widespread in the UK.

Gerber Jun 21st 2011 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by suburbanmum (Post 9447469)
Hmmm in the UK I'd say not. We didn't but then we were paying for the packing (my husband's employer was) so it didn't occur to us to hand over any money at all. Tipping for things like that isn't widespread in the UK.

Ok, thanks for that. What about some beer?
;)

tonrob Jun 21st 2011 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Gerber (Post 9447548)
Ok, thanks for that. What about some beer?
;)

Mrs tonrob tells me that tipping with beer is very common in Germany. Her parents give out bottles left right and centre at Christmas. I'm surprised that Christmas cards even get delivered as you'd think all the posties were pissed.

Gerber Jun 21st 2011 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9447559)
Mrs tonrob tells me that tipping with beer is very common in Germany. Her parents give out bottles left right and centre at Christmas. I'm surprised that Christmas cards even get delivered as you'd think all the posties were pissed.

lol...perhaps some beer it is then! :lol:
Thanks.

N1cky Jun 21st 2011 9:29 pm

We tipped 20 quid each. There were 2 of them and were excellent, packed all the house up really well and super fast, they deserved the tip

Peter Newton Jun 22nd 2011 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 9447905)
We tipped 20 quid each. There were 2 of them and were excellent, packed all the house up really well and super fast, they deserved the tip

I quit smoking right before we left for the US, when the movers came I gave them a big duty free box of cigarettes that I had left over. They loved it! In hindsight I probably should have thrown them out when I quit smoking!

Gerber Jun 23rd 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks everyone for your great replies. :)

Our packing crew was great; the moving company...well, that's another story entirely!
:(