Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tipping UK Shipment Packing Crew??

Wikiposts

Tipping UK Shipment Packing Crew??

Old Jun 21st 2011, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Gerber will become famous soon enough
Default Tipping UK Shipment Packing Crew??

Is it customary to tip the crew that comes to pack your house (UK)? And if so, how much?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 5:58 am
Just Joined

suburbanmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tipping UK Shipment Packing Crew??

Hmmm in the UK I'd say not. We didn't but then we were paying for the packing (my husband's employer was) so it didn't occur to us to hand over any money at all. Tipping for things like that isn't widespread in the UK.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by suburbanmum
Hmmm in the UK I'd say not. We didn't but then we were paying for the packing (my husband's employer was) so it didn't occur to us to hand over any money at all. Tipping for things like that isn't widespread in the UK.
Ok, thanks for that. What about some beer?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 7:00 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gerber
Ok, thanks for that. What about some beer?
Mrs tonrob tells me that tipping with beer is very common in Germany. Her parents give out bottles left right and centre at Christmas. I'm surprised that Christmas cards even get delivered as you'd think all the posties were pissed.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tonrob
Mrs tonrob tells me that tipping with beer is very common in Germany. Her parents give out bottles left right and centre at Christmas. I'm surprised that Christmas cards even get delivered as you'd think all the posties were pissed.
lol...perhaps some beer it is then!
Thanks.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 9:29 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

We tipped 20 quid each. There were 2 of them and were excellent, packed all the house up really well and super fast, they deserved the tip
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
We tipped 20 quid each. There were 2 of them and were excellent, packed all the house up really well and super fast, they deserved the tip
I quit smoking right before we left for the US, when the movers came I gave them a big duty free box of cigarettes that I had left over. They loved it! In hindsight I probably should have thrown them out when I quit smoking!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for your great replies.

Our packing crew was great; the moving company...well, that's another story entirely!