Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Tipping System is Ridiculous

The Tipping System is Ridiculous

Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:38 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Tipping System is Ridiculous

Originally Posted by Tbag
<snip>

I know what you mean though, I get so mad sometimes having to tip when the wait staff are so bloody unfriendly and barely acknowledge your existence when dining out and then you have to tip. I always let them know if the food or service is crap.
That is a case where you definitely should not tip... or at least not very much.
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tbag
I get so mad sometimes having to tip when the wait staff are so bloody unfriendly and barely acknowledge your existence when dining out and then you have to tip.
That's the entire point of the tipping -- you shouldn't tip when you get crap service.

If you get slovenly service, feel free to leave 10% or less. If they are awful, leave nothing. If they are rude, then leave a penny.

The one caveat to the above is that you should consider telling the manager about your low tip, and why you've left it, so that the occasion isn't taken to point fingers at you when the problem was with the service. Not only will it get the point across, but you'll often have your food discounted or given to you gratis if you politely advise the manager as to why you're displeased.

And by the way, not only did I grow up here, but I worked in a restaurant, so I do tip generously when the service warrants it. But if the service sucks, I'll be damned if I'm going to tip 15%.
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I'm off to get another 'Depends', be right back.

ROTFPMSL.....you are toooooo funny Gruff.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:39 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
You just can't get enough can you

Its like a drugggggggg
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:40 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Tolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
People here are speaking to you in same the vein as you describe in another thread...honestly and quite upfront...which you said you appreciated as I recall...and that at the end of the evening you would all shake hands and be friends...it can be very much like that here (especially if you post in the evening when a few libations have been taken lol). Has any of what has been said here changed how you feel about tipping in the UK compared to the UK?

I would also say that Americans who have been forthright in their opinions in the UK have been branded as "bloody yanks" shouting their mouths off blah blah. So perhaps a little of that spills over here when US posters hear another Brit complaining about something like tipping without understanding fully that it is a different cultural thing. Ever been to India or Egypt and had EVERYman and his dog looking for a handout...its a cultural thing there too...people are poor and look to those who have relatively more cash for a "tip" for just being there.

Stick with it ...hold your own and enjoy the opportunity to say what you want to say..but allow perhaps that you may even learn something here. I certainly have

Ok I'm ready bash me one and all
I can appreciate that. But I'm not posting on a "I Love USA" forum, am I? The purpose of this forum is to serve as a meeting place for EXPats to share their experiences in the US. Naturally, this will include vents and discussing pet peeves as we learn to get by in a foreign culture and society. I see many other threads about topics much more trivial than mine. Grocery prices or car sizes, for example.Besides, it's not like I have Brits living on every street...so I seldom get an opportunity to engage in "the difference between England and America" conversations or rants. My UK friends don't understand my occassional woes, and my US friends don't want to hear anything negative.

So to come to an ExPats forum, which is littered with topics about difficulties of living in the US, and be told by people to leave, shut up, deal with it, or talk about World War III, just seems a little bizarre to me.

I'm not sitting here crying into my union jack, don't worry. But there's a difference between harmless banter, and using the safety of the internet to just be downright rude to people.

Last edited by Tolos; Jul 13th 2006 at 7:45 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:41 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Tolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterbainham
This has already been explained but I'll repeat it again for your sake:

Waiters/waitresses recieve little or no salary. Teachers, bus drivers, nurses, garbage men and cotton pickers all do. Comprende?
Again with the attitude. I wonder if you would dare to speak like that to me if we were face to face, sir?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rompers
Most of it isn't meant mate, it's just banter. I like all the piss-taking and do it on here as I've found that Americans don't understand it and get offended whereas on here most people just give it back.

Yeah....take a look at Leslie...she's a Yank...no bloody sense of humour that one.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:43 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Yeah....take a look at Leslie...she's a Yank...no bloody sense of humour that one.
I Leslie married to an expat, or related to one? If not, why the 33,000 posts?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kate2112
..but allow perhaps that you may even learn something here. I certainly have
Your welcome.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:45 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

F**k me, it'll be Pistols at dawn next, who are the seconds? Any offers?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:45 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tolos
Again with the attitude. I wonder if you would dare to speak like that to me if we were face to face, sir?
What attitude? I think you're suffering from a persecution complex as you seem to believe that everyone is attacking you.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:46 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

I can appreciate that. But I'm not posting on a "I Love USA" forum, am I? The purpose of this forum is to serve as a meeting place for EXPats to share their experiences in the US. It's not like I have Brits living on every street...so I seldom get an opportunity to engage in "the difference between England and America" conversations or rants. My UK friends don't understand my occassional woes, and my US friends don't want to hear anything negative.

So to come to an ExPats forum, which is littered with topics about difficulties of living in the US, and be told by people to leave, shut up, deal with it, or talk about World War III, just seems a little bizarre to me.

I'm not sitting here crying into my union jack, don't worry. But there's a difference between harmless banter, and using the safety of the internet to just be downright rude to people.
Well you can be absolutely 100% sure you are not posting on the "I love USA" forum since most people here have their moans and whines about the US at one time or another

A few of the resident Americans here do feel the need to educate and castigate newbies who show no signs of climbing down from their original positions once UK people or they have pointed out the differences culturally. I'll ask again do you think you have learned anything from this discussion?Changed your mind in any way? Have a clearer understanding of the differences?..apart from having your head chewed off

Really the head chewing happens to us all at some time or another its part of life here. (its life Jim but not as we know, not as we know it)
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I Leslie married to an expat, or related to one? If not, why the 33,000 posts?
Because I can.

I haven't attacked you personally and I won't as long as you don't attempt it with me ..... I see you're leaning in that direction and I can promise you it will end in tears.

We're having a lively debate about the subject at hand - don't worry about my personal life and I won't worry about yours.
Moaning Like A Pro

Originally Posted by peterbainham
What attitude? I think you're suffering from a persecution complex as you seem to believe that everyone is attacking you.
Where I come from, using phrases like 'comprende' and 'I'll explain it again for your sake' is patronising, disrespectful and likely to get your face ripped off. Persecution complex? Nah...just struggling to deal with "adults" who don't know basic manners.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

But there's a difference between harmless banter, and using the safety of the internet to just be downright rude to people.
If there is..I haven't found it yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.