Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Tipping System is Ridiculous

The Tipping System is Ridiculous

Old Jul 13th 2006, 6:59 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Tolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Tipping System is Ridiculous

Originally Posted by Elvira
And I suspect he has already got Rete's back up

I see a future for him here
Wow, thanks. Nice to meet you too.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:01 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tolos
Well I'll be honest Ray, I have to be smiley and cheerful nearly every waking bloody minute in my job. I needed somewhere to go to steam
You slowly feed yourself in here ..lot of Americans here too....
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:02 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Tolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
You slowly feed yourself in here ..lot of Americans here too....
Feed myself?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:04 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Feed myself?
You know..like as in a meat grinder
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Feed myself?
In english .... blend into the forum slowly ....once people get used to you they accept your argument ... Newbies are alway distrusted ...
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:06 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Feed myself?
Ray has been nice to new posters recently, his reputation has suffered, he must have got some new medication
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:07 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

True, but then that's not my fault is it? All that drama belongs to the waiter and his employer. I shouldn't be guilt-tripped into handing over my own cash because of a bad system. All I know is, I want to go into a bar or restaurant to order something, and not be blackmailed into huge tips because I HAVE to. Give me the English system where I tip because I CHOOSE to. Tips should be rewards, nothing more.

And I wish I could afford $200 wine, LOL. I'm just speaking hypothetically.
Then eat at home or McDonalds, cheapskate. It's the system.... love it or leave it. If you want to enjoy the inexpensive eating experience then deal with the tipping ..... otherwise go join high brow clubs where the waiters make more money than God and they'll be happy to figure the 18% right into the bill for you - whether you get good service or good food - you'll still pay for the privilege of eating there. News flash - you're not in the UK any more - it isn't the same here ..... notice people driving on the wrong side of the road and the cops carrying guns. You're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy.

World war 3 is breaking out in the Middle East, ffs ..... get some perspective about what's important in life.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:07 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Originally Posted by Ray
In english .... blend into the forum slowly ....once people get used to you they accept your argument ... Newbies are alway distrusted ...
I never knew there were such 'unwritten codes of conduct' on internet forums. But when in Rome...

I'll quieten down a little, and only make occassional contributions about the weather until we make friends!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No, not in the least. I was going to post from a first hand experience as I supported my children on the wages of being a waitree and later a bartender. Then thought what the hell, why bother and let you all have your go at it ;-)

I agree that the carwash, hairdresser, and the like (not waitstaff) should not be tipped since the price of the service is already out of sight.

Originally Posted by Elvira
And I suspect he has already got Rete's back up

I see a future for him here
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:10 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Then eat at home or McDonalds, cheapskate. It's the system.... love it or leave it. If you want to enjoy the inexpensive eating experience then deal with the tipping ..... otherwise go join high brow clubs where the waiters make more money than God and they'll be happy to figure the 18% right into the bill for you - whether you get good service or good food - you'll still pay for the privilege of eating there. News flash - you're not in the UK any more - it isn't the same here ..... notice people driving on the wrong side of the road and the cops carrying guns. You're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy.

World war 3 is breaking out in the Middle East, ffs ..... get some perspective about what's important in life.
Thank you for your perspective, Leslie. Just a question though - many topics on this forum seem to focus on the differences of living in the US compared to the UK. I see nitpicking threads about driving licenses, Americans not having many friends, the emphasis on sports, finding jobs, feeling settled. I see very little posts about the Middle East or "World War 3". So do you act this hostile to all members, or just the "newbie"?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, she does ... and yes, she does ;-)

Political discussions are normally in the Take It Outside Forum.

Thank you for your perspective, Leslie. Just a question though - many topics on this forum seem to focus on the differences of living in the US compared to the UK. I see nitpicking threads about driving licenses, Americans not having many friends, the emphasis on sports, finding jobs, feeling settled. I see very little posts about the Middle East or "World War 3". So do you act this hostile to all members, or just the "newbie"?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Leslie is in a league of her own and you can always rely on her meaning what she says. She is also one of the nicest and kindest people at BE.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

A quick scan of this section shows I'm not the only one to use this place to let off steam and share peeves.
True, we usually vent by arguing with anyone with under 50 posts whether we might agree with them or not, its good practice for marriage
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have an issue with the system - for the owner it's an incentive scheme to ensure your staff are polite to your customers. As long as they know that their rewards vary by how well they perform there's more reason to expect them to perform well. If wages are so low that the staff HAS to get the tips then they are likely to be nicer. If there's a shortage of staff this system wouldn't work - so I guess there isn't a shortage of staff.

If owners paid their staff good wages and no-one was expected to tip your meal out would still cost the same - you don't think owners would increase their costs without a similar price incrase do you? You'd just pay all the money to the restaurant instead of paying some to the restaurant and some to the staff.

The US system also has the benefit for owners that his fixed costs for staff are lower so he is getting the staff to take the pain on nights when he doesn't have many customers in. This has to be important when starting up a restaurant and building a client base. With a system paying higher wages it woudl be harder to successfully launch new restaurants.
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

In NJ restaurants get away with not paying servers anything. My daughter worked in a restaurant last summer, she received no wage only tips. Even then the servers have to 'tip out' to the other staff. Some days after working 8 hrs she would come home with $30. On one occasion some nice guy left without paying his $100 bill...my daughter had to pay this out of her own pocket. Even then she had to 'tip out' the normal percentage of the $100 to the other staff.

In the UK many years ago, tips were incorporated into the price of meals. I suppose you could look at it that you don't have a choice about paying for it in the UK but in the US you have.

What I find annoying is cab drivers and the way they never have any change. $7 cab ride and they can't change a $10 bill....this is especially true of tourist destinations such as Vegas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.