Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tipping movers

Tipping movers

Old May 18th 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tipping movers

I know this has probably been covered before. I know you are supposed to tip movers, but do you tip them before they start packing to make sure everything gets packed properly, when they have finished packing & loading to make sure everything gets to its destination in one piece (hopefully) or when they have unloaded & unpacked everything at the other end. If so just how much do you tip. Do you arrange pizza at lunch time. They are going to be here tomorrow until Friday packing & loading, then transporting Friday-Tuesday. We are going from MA to Denver, CO.
Old May 19th 2008, 6:47 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tipping movers

Originally Posted by joto
I know this has probably been covered before. I know you are supposed to tip movers, but do you tip them before they start packing to make sure everything gets packed properly, when they have finished packing & loading to make sure everything gets to its destination in one piece (hopefully) or when they have unloaded & unpacked everything at the other end. If so just how much do you tip. Do you arrange pizza at lunch time. They are going to be here tomorrow until Friday packing & loading, then transporting Friday-Tuesday. We are going from MA to Denver, CO.
I'd say don't give them any money until they are done, but feed and water them while they are working.
Old May 19th 2008, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joto
Hi:

Having never done an interstate move -- I can't be sure -- but I have a feeling that the crew that packs and the crew that unpacks will be different. Assuming that they are --

I would tip the packing crew when they finish packing and the truck is ready to go. Having pizza or two a day might not be a bad idea -- this is a gesture of being nice to the guys there. Do get a some 2-litre bottles of coke and such [or a flat of canned cold sodas].

On the other end, I would do the same.

BTW, I often tip the foreman and let him divide it out.
Old May 19th 2008, 9:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends how much crap you've got being packed and how long it's going to take.

Toonje did a good post on this a while ago as he's sort of in the business.

If it's a couple of blokes and going to take a couple of hours to pack, $20 to the foreman is enough, but if you've got loads of stairs or lots of awkward furniture to take a part, then tip more and more for more people.
Old May 20th 2008, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Got loads of crap to pack. Some not unpacked since our move across the pond 11 years ago. The "kids" (grown up now) don't want to throw out their old toys & I hate throwing out books, no matter how old and tatty I work 40 hours a week so not much time to do any sorting out/throwing out. So I better have a good wad of cash on hand to keep them fed this end & tip them when we get to the other end. The same group of guys are doing both ends of the move.